Author Topic: Power Maximize - SP regen or not  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Rya.Reisender

• View Profile
Power Maximize - SP regen or not
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:52:57 AM »
So let's clear this up once and for all: Does Power Maximize disable SP regen or not?

If I search the forums I find around 50% people who claim it does disable SP regen and 50% people who claim it doesn't.

Even the iRO Wiki page gets constantly changed back and forth:
http://irowiki.org/wiki/Power_Maximize (see "View History")

Would be really cool if just one Blacksmith could use it and finally say what's true and what isn't.

Offline seventhsky

• View Profile
Re: Power Maximize - SP regen or not
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:23:34 AM »
It disables SP Regen and consumes a certain amount of SP determined by the skill's level. Whether you're standing around doing nothing, moving or attacking, it always consumes SP at the same rate.

Just tested it myself, although it was on Classic. I'd log my Mechanic on Renewal to check but I can't be bothered :>

Offline Rya.Reisender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:40 AM »
Okay, thanks for testing!

I saw an older video where SP regen still worked. I guess it was "Fixed" somewhere between episode 5 and 11.

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
Rya, the SP regen not working under Power Maximize was well after Renewal.  It was never part of Pre-Renewal.  It was added to Classic because it was part of Renewal sometime just prior to Classic's unveiling.

I remember being shocked when my BS on Renewal stopped regening.  That was a shock.

I would classify it as a Nerf though, not so much a fix.  Though you can still use the special SP regen cards!  So Earth Deleter ftw!

Offline Rya.Reisender

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Hmm but the iRO core is just an old server core, I kind of doubt they have it updated just for the iRO classic server (otherwise, why not also update it to run with the modern client?).

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:57:30 AM »
It is and isn't.  Remember how long ago in pre-renewal position mechanics allowed for a 185 aspd with a bow to just freeze an enemy in place?  Like 186 with a 2h Sword, and like 184 with a Katar?

Now you can't really do that with Classic.

From my understanding, a good part of the reason for Renewal wasn't so much because RO1 was dieing, as RO1 was corrupted, both the kRO, and kRO backups, and iRO, and iRO's backups.  They had to rebuild the game anyhow because the corruption just got worse and worse.  It's one reason so many old accounts did not properly transfer to Renewal's Ymir, despite being in good standing.  I personally lost 3 of my 5 accounts, two of which I shared with friends who wanted to play sometimes, so we split and I paid for them.  I can't find any evidence they ever existed, even on RODB, but that was a long time ago and I don't even recall their account names now.  A few other friends of mine also lost their accounts, one of whom played all the way up to Renewal.

All of the original code for the game, all of it, to my knowledge, was written without proper documentation for what functions do what, how they're supposed to work.  Nothing, so the team working on Renewal on kRO's end and iRO's end actually had to rebuild RO from scratch and from what bones were left that were clean.

No good original builds at all existed, nothing, only remnants of builds.  That Classic was being worked on from the beginning because they always intended for the original server to be renewed as close to what it was.  It just took a long long long time to rebuild what was left over, and to reconfigure what they thought was a close approximation to the original pre-renewal.

They then used Renewal for another purpose, given there was a mass exodus near the end of pre-renewal: to rebuild RO's numbers by offering a different experience.  However the main reason was only because they literally HAD to make a new game and fast.

Stuff like Sprite data is easy to fix, same with music corruption, but hard game code?  It can get jumbled, hex values altered and changed for corresponding calls for functions and objects in the code.  Without any real knowledge and mapping as to what does what, and with little to no oversight on the quality and consistency of backups, Gravity really fudged themselves up.

Maybe my story is wrong, but it came from someone I won't name who because s/he wants to remain nameless, but who did have direct insider contacts to the entire GM team.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:01:20 AM by coren »

Offline Jayed

• Tirades' Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:38:30 AM »
^ Supposition?

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
If you're wondering if I have doubts about the very story I told?  A little.  I've never had any confirmation from other sources, including PM's to some GM's, which amounted to only silence and ignoring the question, never denying/confirming it.  I do know this person does know some GM members, and has spoken with Heim on at least several occasions.  I don't know exactly this individual's actual connection with GM staffers, as in history.

I do know it does fit because Renewal Mechanics for several skills were clearly different after a year of hiatus between the last time I checked into RO and when I came back for Renewal.  In that particular time span I played no Private servers either, so I had nothing else in between to fill the gap.  I do know position mechanics were clearly different between both builds and Classic's position mechanics mimic Renewals.

I some way I was hoping for further confirmation from anyone on this forum that may know, fill in gaps, or correct maybe bits and pieces that are from my friend's own additions to the story.  Additions in the sense of analysis or thoughts about the overall reason for renewal, but the evidence for myself is overwhelming in the sense that yes, Renewal changed more than just the newbie grounds and menu interface (skill window etc.), there are clear and distinct gameplay changes, and I'd say both Renewal and Classic are a lesser experience because of it.

So I guess I'm more curious if anyone does know if it's BS or reality, and if BS, knows why there are so many gameplay elements that seem broken that weren't broken with pre-renewal, like the aforementioned, and the most noticeable element: position mechanics.

Anyway, I know that at least through Thor (that I believe was the last time I played pre-renewal...sometime after Thors was implemented anyhow), there was still SP regen with Maximize Power.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:14:32 AM by coren »

Offline Jayed

• Tirades' Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
sup·po·si·tion

noun \ˌsə-pə-ˈzi-shən\                                                                                                                                                                                                                   : an idea or theory that you believe is true even though you do not have proof

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supposition
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:27:27 PM by Jayed »

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »
I was using the definition as written in a google search: An uncertain belief.

That said, yes, it is indeed supposition based on Miriam-Webster's more official definition.