Author Topic: The Critique Thread  (Read 10987 times)

Offline cujo the cat

• View Profile
Re: The Critique Thread.
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 08:42:57 PM »
In the first picture I didn't really know what to do with the arms, still don't know what to do with them now that I think about it. Perspective is still one of many of my artistic weak points.
The shield on the second picture was mostly to cover up the side of the character, since at the time of drawing this I was absolutely terrible at drawing side views of characters. I'm still bad at it, but not as much.

It's good to know that my anatomy is decent. thanks for your input.

Offline Rumm

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this question...so i think this is the best place for it.

What might be a good starter photo/paintshop program for fan art?  I'm kinda looking for something with paint type effects, though bright (not dark like traditional oil paintings)...and free [trail versions ftw]

I'm looking to start doing some fan art but like. well. i have like pencils...and crayons at my disposal.  I'd kinda like to upgrade my coloring so before i even start, where should i start ?:hmm:

Offline Rutana

• View Profile
    • http://rutana.deviantart.com
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
You could try out Sai, it has a month free trial and is fairly cheap if you wanna purchase it afterwards.

Knight-Chibis made by Wakaba ~ Marshmallow made by Belijaal

Offline Samias

• Inaction Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://xyrafhoan.deviantart.com
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »
I second SAI, but if you want something really basic you can look for openCanvas 1.1. Not very powerful, but usable. Lacks a lot of functionality with its layers (at least it has layers?) and colour editing is pretty much non-existent, but you can network with friends and do a group paint. The program is so old it's easy enough to find a free download. However, SAI is way more powerful and the license fee was so cheap for how often I use the program at home and at school.

I always find Photoshop a good supplement program for the stuff SAI can't do, like move multiple layers at once. Photoshop, being primarily for photo editing, is also way more powerful for post-work than SAI. I do a majority of colour correction in Photoshop, and SAI does not have a text tool, so I also use Photoshop for text. SAI can save and open .psd files, so there is a happy harmony between the two programs, but if you want to use Photoshop... well, it's out there.

I came to this thread seeking some help on my latest work. I need a lot of help as I have come to realize I am not good at painting a realistic face. Oh, I've tried, but they're all just... not... great... It's better than three years ago at least *looks above*

Edit: Updated to the most recent revision.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:19:04 PM by Samias »
http://xyrafhoan.deviantart.com
RPHaven.net, a forum roleplaying site
=iRO Sakray/Iris/Ymir=
Samias Dragonlord
Xyra Fhoan
Tatayu

=WoW Suramar=
Ishkagri
And a bunch of failures