Author Topic: Warframe  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Dishonru

• what
    • View Profile
    • http://ragial.com
Warframe
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »
Free to play third person shooter pve farming game with super active developers that communicate with the community. Not pay to win.

Who plays besides Yansibar (who actually plays, I bumped in to him by chance.)

If anyone wants to start playing add Watlok and I'll run you through some t2 voids so you can get cash money to buy a not crap weapon. There's no trading in this game, and it's a spiritual successor to diablo 2 when it comes to how addicting farming shit is.

Offline Toledo

• View Profile
Re: Warframe
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
I was interested but then I saw it's a TPP shooter.

Every time I see a TPP shooter I just want to ask: why.

Why did you ruin a perfectly good first person shooter by making it third person which achieves nothing of value?

Offline Dishonru

• what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »
Third person shooter makes a lot of sense for anything that involves acrobatics, because timing animations and hitting angles is fairly arbitrary in the first person while third person gives you clear visual indicators.

Like Gunz or this game.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:37:36 PM by Dishonru »

Offline Toledo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
So what do you achive by timing animations in Warframe?

Offline Jacqueli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
What do you achieve of being yet another 1st person shooter :|?

I mean seriously. It won't beat Planetside 2 in gameplay on the PC and then there's...
- Hawken
- TF2
- Call of Duty Franchise
- Firefall
- Etc.

I tried Warframe just earlier today, I liked the gameplay aspect and theory, in the sense of a 3rd Person MMO-Shooter in the vein of something similar to Monster Hunter/Phantasy Star which Huxley failed to create. The format the game uses is pretty unique to whats out there, I could only imagine if it was better implemented in say a Online Resident Evil or Left 4 Dead III.

However, the major fault I have with it, from a glance. The Cash Shop, it makes RO look like a Saint from what I saw. Literally menu I could find had a crap ton of items via platinum cost, and granted I could be wrong the only thing I could see that gave Platinum was IRL$$$. Perhaps I'm too low of a level for anything besides the standard pistol, AR (everything else said I was too low level, which is fine, but to be honest I didn't see anything else in character area of say, oh a sniper, that wasn't tied to plat).

As for the game itself, I choose Loki and it's pretty straight forward. I just "Quit" (alt-f4'd when I had to do something) on the second mission which was a chunk of copy-paste section of the first one I did. Pretty sure it was because I wasn't far in, but it seems to take the subscription of Deus Ex's/Alpha Protocol's stealth mechanisms (Enemy detection/AI tracking on you). Although Loki's actual "stealth" is a straight up "Don't see me, stand right here while you shoot me" not that I have a problem with it, I imagine down the road there will be hundreds of things that ignore stealth (like always).

As for slide/jump over crate or ledge/hop down animations. I played around with it, the sliding animation is pretty bad if you play with increased mouse sensitive (way up high) unless you have insanely good reflexes (I have super good reflexes) and I missed more than I liked. I do enjoy perma crouch button, but needing to crouch and slide is a bit awkward without a controller (or something better than the standard mouse) and by that I mean annoying when you also have to deal with aiming & shooting at two guys with the mouse or needing to slide your left hand to the default E to melee. That said it kinda reminds me more of a wonky Vanquish, of course most of that could be my fault since I didn't change my aim sensitivity.

That said, not a lot of games actually let you hop over railings or onto crates without bunny hoping. So its a bit more fluid, I like it aesthetically.

The game hasn't won me over besides "It's a cool game", but maybe a bit more hours will change that.

Edit: To be honest Warframe's gameplay took me by surprise, I was half-expecting it to be another deathmatch team up game. So I actually give it props for that. Also forgot to add about the slide animations/other gimmicks.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:48:39 PM by Jacqueli »

Offline Toledo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:43:32 PM »
Quote from: Jacqueli;1359544
What do you achieve of being yet another 1st person shooter :|?

I don't have my character taking up 1/4 of the screen at all times, for starters.

Offline Dishonru

• what
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:34:11 AM »
The cash shop is not a flaw at all. You can get all of those in-games legitimately. Even if you wanted to drop $100 on a super founder pack, you should never buy frames or guns on the cash shop. They are overpriced compared to how relatively easy they are to get.  

Except Vauban I guess, because his parts only come from alerts. If you really want to be Vauban you could buy him, but you should be able to get his parts from alerts in a month or two. I got all of mine in around two weeks, and that includes missing a helmet spawn.  The three alerts you'd have to do take maybe a half hour tops, and they post alerts to twitter (and there are programs that beep and show stuff in the windows system tray.)

What is worth buying in the cash shop is extra warframe/weapon slots. This doesn't effect you in-game, but it lets you have more than 2 frames and 4 weapons (or whatever the default is) to pick from out of game. They are pretty cheap, and it's a convenience feature. No gameplay impact.

It's also worth buying orokin reactors and orokin catalysts. They come randomly through alerts and the devs force one to spawn after every livestream, but you more or less need them. They are ~$1.5 each without any discounts, something like 25c with the starter packs or 75c if you get a -50% plat cost login reward.  You only need one for the frame you choose to play and one for each weapon (totaling 4, or about $6).  Obviously if you want to seriously use more weapons you need more, but the game has to make money somehow. So you either wait on the alerts or livestreams, or you buy those.

It could be worth buying a pet if you are new and don't want to farm the materials, they come double potatod (orokin in the pet, orokin in the pet's weapon), but it really doesn't matter. You will be swimming in credits in no time and the material cost for sentinels (pets) is not that high. I'd recommend against it.

On the orokin catalyst/reactor front, update 9 is going to redo alert rng so you should be able to obtain them in-game a bit easier without the cash shop.

The levels are all randomly generated each time you play. The objective isn't random (although sometimes it changes mid-mission, this is based on chance). The tilesets and room count for each tileset is fairly limited right now.

It's pretty easy to aim in the game, although I rebound duck to space and haven't found a super preferable jump key. I use mwheeldown to jump right now, but you can't do wall runs with mwheeldown jump so I hit a key on my keyboard for wall runs.

There is an exp item in the cash shop, but I don't know anyone who has used it. You can level things to max in 4 hours or so once you are established. This is important because you can reset a weapon or warframe to make one of the card slots have reduced cost for certain card types. It's pretty much a pve farming game, so exp flies at you while you are doing other things.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:36:01 AM by Dishonru »

Offline Jacqueli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:56:08 AM »
Oh cool, that's a bunch of stuff good to know, especially the tidbits about the Cash Shop. I haven't had much chance to try the game again, but if everything is acquirable in-game its not so much a problem. It's just a bit discouraging seeing cash-shop items plastered all over the place.

Also I didn't realize you could wall-jump, I'll have to give it a try but I'm not sure how useful that would be. I have the aim sensitivity all the way up to max (Twitch reactions are pretty much a natural thing even with an injured dominant hand, thanks to AC4A) so small window to widdle an enemy down is actually a pita as opposed of doing it the vanilla way. It does kind of remind me of Vanquish however, but not as fluid, may be my imagination.

Offline a

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
mmmmm DLing, I'll try it later tonight

wtf I got bodied by a Stalker
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:26:49 PM by a »

Offline Dishonru

• what
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »
Haha. Stalker is pretty rare. Even if you try to farm him he will only show up one or two times per day. You pretty much can't beat him alone until you get gear.

He drops Despair, one of the best weapons in the game, and Dread which is a really popular bow thing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:54:48 PM by Dishonru »

Offline Dishonru

• what
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
Warframe still owns. They've just been making the game better constantly. Occasionally they make it a bit worse, apologize, and make it better instead.

Despair is awful now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:41:07 PM by Dishonru »

Offline Quanta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »
Last time I played Warframe was during the Cicero stuff where we had to grind plants and shit to make that anti-venom. I got my mods and my special Twin Vipers and stopped playing after that. Still have yet to try Melee 2.0 or any of the other new stuff (though I popped in briefly for the new tutorial experience).

Have they made Serration and the elemental mods drop more or at least reduced their status as "You need these to do good damage" to "these are nice but not essential"? I'm still missing some required mods and it makes me sad.

Offline Dishonru

• what
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
Nope. But if you add me I can give you (or anyone else) free mods that you are missing.

I didn't play during cicero. I actually took a year off and came back in november.

They're talking about removing serration but who knows. I don't see the point. There will always be a min-maxed optimal gun build.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:40:04 PM by Dishonru »