Author Topic: Tree Of Savior (Project R1)Early access details  (Read 86231 times)

Offline Rya.Reisender

• View Profile
Re: Tree Of Savior (Project R1)
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 12:15:35 AM »
But this isn't an issue with random spawns being hard to code in 3D, but rather an issue how they do their 3D wallmapping. It's not too hard to define areas that are not walkable at all (rather than just putting invisible walls).

Also with a flood algorithm you CAN automatically detect which places are reachable, so you wouldn't even have to manually define the unwalkable areas. It gets a bit more complex when jumping is allowed, but if just say that monsters can spawn on any random coordinate that is reachable by walking, then it's very well possible.
Plus if you know some region should get spawn despite not being reachable by foot then you can just add a new flood source in that region.

Offline Toledo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 06:48:02 AM »
Quote from: ZeroTigress;1368711
That is something I can always count on in 3D MMOs: safe passageways that even newbies can travel through to get to the next town without having to worry about dying.

That's not a problem in a game with teleport(or airship) service, which RO was. Even if you walked, most cities were within your reach. I remember walking from Prontera to Al De Baran several times as a low level Aco for example, despite all the aggressive mobs on the way.

Offline Murray

• Murple Stury 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
If the RO world was recreated with graphics from the year 2013 and it was fully 3D, with action-based-directional combat instead of tab-targeting(or just birds-eye overview aka diablo mode), with the option to teleport across great plains of land, with things like random monster spawns everywhere, freedom to go where you want as long as you're powerful enough making it more gear and skill-based, instead of level-based(such as RO) with gear that can be used by more classes and level ranges, with unique skills and traits that are from all over the game-universe, with full-stat allocation where you start with +1 of every stat(like RO) so you can really create the unique class and build you want...

It would be the rebirth of the MMO genre.

Seriously, no other MMO that I've seen today has allowed for the freedom in RO. I really hope this one allows for freedom of stats and gear.

The locked-down "follow our path" MMO's today(RO2 I'm looking at you) with static-spawns for monsters that are in small areas and where you can barely customize your own character.. it's not fun.

Man I hope Tree of Savior pulls through. It could be great.

Offline ZeroTigress

• View Profile
    • http://ragnarok.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:58 AM »
Quote from: Toledo;1368726
Quote from: ZeroTigress;1368711
That is something I can always count on in 3D MMOs: safe passageways that even newbies can travel through to get to the next town without having to worry about dying.

That's not a problem in a game with teleport(or airship) service, which RO was. Even if you walked, most cities were within your reach. I remember walking from Prontera to Al De Baran several times as a low level Aco for example, despite all the aggressive mobs on the way.
Games with true teleportation abilities don't seem to exist in 3D MMOs though. Don't know if that's due to programming limitations with 3D environments or it's just too much trouble for developers to do.
Wandering around in RO with no one to play with? Join the iRO Community RaidCall!

Offline Toledo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 09:45:59 PM »
True how? Cast teleport, open the map, click a spot? From a programming/technologic standpoint that's very easy.

Offline Akintunde

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »
I think if they used Diablo 2's teleport it'd be sufficiently awesome.

Offline Murray

• Murple Stury 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 05:21:49 AM »
Quote from: Toledo;1368869
True how? Cast teleport, open the map, click a spot? From a programming/technologic standpoint that's very easy.

Targeted teleportation and random teleportation are equally as easy to make. One is "Select your tile", the other is "random tile from map".

It's pretty easy, but the world can't be built up like a kindergarden-follow-the-lines drawing race.

Offline Toledo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »
I dunno, when you consider casting times and the possibility of being interrupted I think local teleport a'la Diablo 2 could work pretty well.

Offline Murray

• Murple Stury 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 02:57:33 PM »
Quote from: Toledo;1369030
I dunno, when you consider casting times and the possibility of being interrupted I think local teleport a'la Diablo 2 could work pretty well.

An item such as a fly wing is very good option, as it allows instant teleportation without a casting time and you can use it anytime.

Offline Golden Fingers

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 02:26:16 AM »
Aion wizards have a sortof blink spell that teleports you backwards 20 yrds. It'd be the RO equivalent of 4-5 backslides at once, although it was on a 30 second cooldown or something.

Besides, you don't need anything fancy that calculates possible landing points etc, you can just have a table of pre-defined xyz co-ordinates that you might appear at.
IGN: Hrothmund, Priest\'o\'Matic

Offline Rate

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 02:30:53 AM »
it would take way longer to predefine thousands of coordinates, check if they actually land somewhere good, etc than to do the work required to make it random

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Murray;1368733
If the RO world was recreated with graphics from the year 2013 and it was fully 3D, with action-based-directional combat instead of tab-targeting(or just birds-eye overview aka diablo mode), with the option to teleport across great plains of land, [. . .]

Never mind graphics. If they could just recreate RO . . .

-to get over it's super old technical limitations (still can't figure out a way around the zeny cap, seriously?)
-to remove unnecessarily complex mechanics (funky things like forced neutral skills which are reducible by ghost property but bypasses neutral reduction through converters wtf? Or how cart revo was properly endowable and did modified elemental damage as expected on everything but ghost which it misses against for god knows why. And that's just Classic. Don't get me started with the hell that is renewal with it's weapon attack vs status attack and how one is affected by endows and the other isn't, yet somehow warm wind operates differently than endows. And none of those things are explicitly mentioned anywhere on the skill descriptions. No, players had to test and figure them all out.

. . .then I would love it forever.
Marvel Heroes | Neverwinter | Guild Wars 2 | iRO | Origin
kfmc | Kevs@kfmc on Mindflayer | Kevs.1679 on Sea of Sorrows | ropd | kfmc

Offline Ryochan

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/yoraidragon
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »
So, I wonder if this is a new class, or possible cards in ToS will be? Or just a collector's item :D.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:37:57 PM by Ryochan »
iRO - Retired
Ryochan - Assassin Cross
Ryochizan - Alchemist
Shin Ryo - Monk

Rick James: "Cocain Tree Of Savior is a hell of a drug." *giggles*

Offline Akintunde

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
Quote from: Prodigy;1369424

-to remove unnecessarily complex mechanics (funky things like forced neutral skills which are reducible by ghost property but bypasses neutral reduction through converters wtf? Or how cart revo was properly endowable and did modified elemental damage as expected on everything but ghost which it misses against for god knows why. And that's just Classic. Don't get me started with the hell that is renewal with it's weapon attack vs status attack and how one is affected by endows and the other isn't, yet somehow warm wind operates differently than endows. And none of those things are explicitly mentioned anywhere on the skill descriptions. No, players had to test and figure them all out.

Pretty sure that's a bug, since many of them were fixed after players abused it for so long.

I'd be all for a more modernized RO that ran on a good engine, but I know Gravity will never be able to deliver that.

Offline Rya.Reisender

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 03:59:54 AM »
Well they just code each skill without thinking much about conflicts with other parts of the code. And then there is a strange behavior and they don't really feel like fixing it unless it causes big balance problems.

Several bugs actually improve the balance in RO. For example if there wasn't the BB gutter line bug, nobody would learn brandish.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:00:10 AM by Rya.Reisender »