Author Topic: Pokemon: The Origin  (Read 6428 times)

Offline Sera

• Iron and Rust
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon: The Origin
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 10:45:53 PM »
At least in the early anime, I remember there being normal fish and birds (and maybe a dog/cat) alongside the pokemon, or maybe that was the manga. (But I think I remember reading somewhere that they retconned that shit to be like "pokemon from other undiscovered regions" or some shit)

Alternatively, parts of the game make it pretty clear that pokemon are pretty much animals as the farmers use Miltanks and Tauros and the fishermen/fish vendors deal in Magikarp (also referenced in the anime as a food source).

Slowpoke tails.

EVERYONE EATS SLOWPOKE TAILS.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:46:40 PM by Sera »
Be you steadfast.

Offline Ergroilnin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 11:00:24 PM »
Also wasn't for example Farfetch (you know that bird with leek) almost endangered species since people ate them so much?

Nothing really wrong with that if you think about it tho. It's the same in our world basically. Like some people have dog pets, in the other parts of world, people eat dogs normally. Same with other animals too.

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
But Pokemon are like . . . way smarter than dolphins. They understand human speech. It's hard to imagine eating something that can actually understand what you say XD.
Marvel Heroes | Neverwinter | Guild Wars 2 | iRO | Origin
kfmc | Kevs@kfmc on Mindflayer | Kevs.1679 on Sea of Sorrows | ropd | kfmc

Offline ZeroTigress

• View Profile
    • http://ragnarok.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 12:24:04 AM »
Quote from: Prodigy;1368786
But Pokemon are like . . . way smarter than dolphins. They understand human speech.

Misty's Psyduck would like to have a word with you... when he's not busy being stupid.

That example pretty much proves that Pokémon are not intelligent on their own and they certainly do not naturally understand human speech. Why are Pokémon Trainers referred to as trainers? Because Pokémon need to be trained to understand what human words coincide with which of their special abilities. (Much like how you train a dog to sit. Dogs won't know what the heck "sit" is unless you show them.) Misty did little to no training with her Psyduck, hence why it's so frickin' idiotic compared to someone else's Pysduck that received proper training.
Wandering around in RO with no one to play with? Join the iRO Community RaidCall!

Offline Ergroilnin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 01:43:21 AM »
Yeah exactly. Even real life animals sort of do understand human language, if they are properly trained.

Offline mlmf2008

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 02:27:46 AM »
Quote from: ZeroTigress;1368788
Quote from: Prodigy;1368786
But Pokemon are like . . . way smarter than dolphins. They understand human speech.

Misty's Psyduck would like to have a word with you... when he's not busy being stupid.

That example pretty much proves that Pokémon are not intelligent on their own and they certainly do not naturally understand human speech. Why are Pokémon Trainers referred to as trainers? Because Pokémon need to be trained to understand what human words coincide with which of their special abilities. (Much like how you train a dog to sit. Dogs won't know what the heck "sit" is unless you show them.) Misty did little to no training with her Psyduck, hence why it's so frickin' idiotic compared to someone else's Pysduck that received proper training.

and i suppose a newly caught pokemon will just suddenly completely understand every word the trainer says. Heck directly after catching a pokemon ash will immediately talk to it and that goes the same for red in the manga. There are even episodes of ash talking to completely wild pokemon with no language barrier in any way
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:31:40 AM by mlmf2008 »

Offline Sera

• Iron and Rust
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
Pokemon are like people, they are all unique.

ANYWAY

I think pokemon are more or less just supposed to be a modified version of their real-life counterpart or the physical manifestation of some more-or-less abstract idea and a good number of them were certainly only invented for game-balance purposes.

Pokemon are probably a lot like children, more or less, all have differing degrees of inborn intelligence potential, and will naturally all partially realize that potential, only a properly trained one will fully realize the potential.

I think in general the mean level of pokemon is assumed to be about the same as humans, as evidenced by them "working together in the past" in many of the games, but the modal distribution looks a lot different due to the Ubers balancing out the fish/bugs and shit.

As for "Is it ethical to eat one?"
Depends on what pokemon it is, what it's purpose is, and its degree of intelligence.
Generally, the closer you get to the uncanny valley (in terms of appearance, culture, mannerisms, etc), the more inappropriate eating them becomes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:14:09 PM by Sera »
Be you steadfast.

Offline ZeroTigress

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 06:10:54 PM »
Magikarp is quite delicious with the right seasonings.
Wandering around in RO with no one to play with? Join the iRO Community RaidCall!

Offline nausea

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 03:10:25 AM »
Actually Magikarp would break someones teeth if they wanted to eat it. I remember an episode where James did that lol.

I couldn't find it but i did find this!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz02g3S0pdI[/ame]

Offline Sera

• Iron and Rust
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
Because he tries to eat it whole and completely raw. Go do the same thing to a real carp and about the same thing will probably happen.
Be you steadfast.

Offline ZeroTigress

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:20 PM »
Quote from: nausea;1368966
Actually Magikarp would break someones teeth if they wanted to eat it. I remember an episode where James did that lol.

Another reason why I like Pokémon: The Origin already; the stupid version of Team Rocket won't be on there.

Offline Pa.rabola

• Snooty Bird :<
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
oshit, I've been waiting for this anime since I was in the 5th grade.

Now Playing
[ FFXIV ARR: Ashe Ra on Cactuar ]

Offline beetus

• probably not asea
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »
Quote from: Prodigy;1368778
Something about the Pokemon world has been bugging me ever since I was like 10. Where do their meat come from???

You weren't 10 just a couple of years ago, were you?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0IOWRAKcjk[/ame]

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 10:04:31 PM »
Quote from: beetus;1369247
Quote from: Prodigy;1368778
Something about the Pokemon world has been bugging me ever since I was like 10. Where do their meat come from???

You weren't 10 just a couple of years ago, were you?

No, I was 10 over half my life ago. I've been wondering about that but never really got around to looking it up hahaha.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:05:18 PM by Prodigy »
Marvel Heroes | Neverwinter | Guild Wars 2 | iRO | Origin
kfmc | Kevs@kfmc on Mindflayer | Kevs.1679 on Sea of Sorrows | ropd | kfmc

Offline mlmf2008

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »
what pokemon just simply lacks is a deep story and longer arcs. What got me interested in the anime again was the meloetta arc, it was long(15+ eps i think), team rocket had a plan that lasted more than 1-2 episodes, team rocket was ACTUALLY sinister looking and often got away rather than blast off, no annoying TR motto, return of GIOVANNI, and an EPIC legendary battle.

And guess what they did in the next arc, the reshiram arc. short(3-4 eps i think), pathetic story, team plasma seemed sinister but the ending was just INSULTING, and WTF kind of legendary battle was that!

I hope that this new pokemon anime will be good, i hope it has good arcs and a more serious story line. There doesnt have to be dying or anything too graphic, just look at Fairy Tail, Not a drop of blood has been spilled yet it was an awesome anime. I also hope for more emotion in the characters, a deep story about the character's past and them resolving it in not 1 episode, and most important of all, DO NOT RETURN THEM TO BEING NOOBS EVERY NEW REGION! A new main character for every region is much more preffered. May this be my last hope for pokemon.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:34:27 AM by mlmf2008 »