Author Topic: Forum Cleanup?  (Read 226 times)

Offline penciltea

• View Profile
Forum Cleanup?
« on: October 17, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »
Hey there!

For those that don't know me (I'm going to assume that everyone doesn't since I admittedly don't know you guys at all), my name is Penciltea. I recently have started to help out on updating the Renewal Wiki and I hope to help out with it as best as I can. I know I'm new to iRO Wiki and all, so please bear with me if something I say has been discussed before, or if anything I say seems out of line, or anything like that. I'm going to try to be as polite as I can be and nothing I'm going to say is directed at any one particular individual or anything like that. I also do apologize in advance for my text-wall tendencies. I try to be as concise as I can.

I've noticed... a lot of the threads on the site are very outdated, especially in this particular subforum. I'd been poking around while waiting for my account to be activated, and I (very easily) stumbled upon threads where users complained/griefed/etc. about others. The actual iRO Wiki seemed very friendly and there didn't seem to be much problem there, so I was both confused and alarmed. Had I unknowingly stumbled into a place where everyone was hostile or overly sensitive? Was this a dying group of editors? I didn't entirely understand. And then I quickly looked at the dates of the posts. They were from easily 5 months ago and more, and a lot of them were easily over a year ago. I let out a sigh of relief because it seemed everything had been resolved.

My point is this: yes, I understand this particular subforum is supposed to discuss issues with the staff, the forums, and all that wonderful stuff. It's good to be able to give users a place to vent their frustrations. But at the same time, the stuff I had glossed over was, honestly, stuff I really didn't need to be reading, especially as a new user.

It's one thing to discuss problems and issues in a professional, polite manner. It's another thing to blatantly bash others with emotionally-charged posts. It gives a bad impression of the iRO Wiki users when this happens. For me, personally, it seemed like a lot of the people who were complaining were childish and were throwing tantrums. Of course, I wasn't there and I don't know all of the facts, so on and so forth, so I can't really say such things, but from an outsider's perspective, that's what I felt like I was reading.

So I have a suggestion/proposal. I first suggest that all of these older threads be archived. Unless it's something that should be kept here, such as stickied threads, threads that have important information, or continually-updating threads, any threads that are 6+ months old should be archived. The other thing I suggest is to perhaps modify the "guidelines" post for this subforum. I'm going to boldly assume that the users who are on this forum are also the wiki/db's editors. if that's the case, then we should maintain a level of professionalism for these threads. If you want to goof off and say whatever you want to on the off-topic/tirade threads, then fine, be my guest. That's where such emotionally-fueled statements should be left. But anything that relates to the site as a whole should be handled with a certain level of respect, politeness, and courtesy. We handle the wiki articles themselves in the same manner, I see no reason why the forum shouldn't also be handled like this.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:38:17 AM by penciltea »

Offline Resplendent

• Do It All Again
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Cleanup?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
Historically, wiki editors have made up a very small fraction of forum users. The site was created as a general community site for RO discussion, not simply as a place to discuss wiki matters. As such, we've taken the good with the bad.

At this point, activity has died down to a much lower level than it was seven years ago when we started iW. The amount of drama and disorder has dropped with it. I don't have a problem with archiving (though I don't see the point either) but you're not going to see the amount of chaos evident in the old threads found in this subforum any longer.
If you never try anything new, you\'ll miss out on many of life\'s great disappointments.

http://humoncomics.com/