Author Topic: Dragon Age: Inquisition  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Sera

• Iron and Rust
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dragon Age: Inquisition
« on: November 25, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »
There's like three threads for Origins, but nothing for this, released a little while back.

It's a little bland compared to origins, but pretty cool game.

THE INQUISITION NEEDS BEEEEEEES

also durian's perfectly chiseled ass
Be you steadfast.

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »
Overall, I'm loving the game! I'm enjoying story which is what I love about the DA series.

My biggest problem right now is not knowing about the gender bug. I found out about it after 7 hours into the game, and didn't feel like remaking. Basically, most npcs treat my character as female. However, a couple think I'm male. Cassandra thinks I'm a girl. Cullen thinks I'm a guy. Dorian has a thing for me which means he thinks I'm a guy. Josephine flirts with me as though I'm a girl, but she has referred to me as "he" and "lord" a couple of times.

Anyways, does anyone else have DAI on PC for multiplayer?

Now for my complaints:
Spoiler: show

-The devs were really trying to hype up and sell this newfangled tactical mode. By the end of the day, it's clear as day that it's a console optimized feature. Origins had it way better. The flaws of tactical mode:
  • It uses WASD keys to pan the screen and doesn't support using the mouse (either by click and drag or by moving to the edge of the screen) to pan the screen. Obviously designed for a joystick.
  • Switching to another party member auto-centers the camera to that member, making it a pita to move guys around. I WASD pan to a spot and move my mage there. I switch to my archer and have to WASD pan back to that spot to move my archer there. Finally, I switch to my other mage and have to WASD pan AGAIN to move my other mage there. It's just plain stupid.
-They got rid of the custom tactics for god knows why. Granted that in DAO and DA2, I was the type who micromanaged ability/spell use, but still, why remove custom tactics???
-Okay, enemies don't come in waves anymore. Except now, random spawns can happen in the middle of a fight or behind that cliff that you just passed by.
-You know how in DAO and DA2, if you switch to a party member that's too far from you, the screen blacks out for a split second? Here, "too far" can sometimes be literally right outside the room.
-Switching between party members unpauses combat when they are too far as described above.
-You can't run while targeting an AoE at the same time. Really annoying when you realize that you just need to move a tad closer to hit everyone with barrier and have to cancel targeting, move one step, and re-target. Again, a result of console porting.
-I really want to play with friendly fire turned on like how it is in DAO. However, Chain Lightning can bounce to your party making it utterly incompatible with friendly fire mode. A couple of other skills suffer the same problem where no amount of positioning helps.

tl;dr: They removed things that worked so well in Origins.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:45:53 PM by Prodigy »
Marvel Heroes | Neverwinter | Guild Wars 2 | iRO | Origin
kfmc | Kevs@kfmc on Mindflayer | Kevs.1679 on Sea of Sorrows | ropd | kfmc

Offline Uke Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
Love the game so far playing on the xbox one and Im with you prodigy on the custom tactics i wanted to have varric focus on ranged fighters but cant do that....

If any wants to play multiplayer on xb1 add me: Mavrickarch

Offline Resplendent

• Do It All Again
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 02:14:28 AM »
heh, durian. he is kind of annoying, next time I'm going for the Bull rwar
If you never try anything new, you\'ll miss out on many of life\'s great disappointments.

http://humoncomics.com/

Offline Hrishi

• Sliver
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
I really hoped we had mouse control over WASD, generally enjoying it outside of that. The maps are massive.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:37:38 PM by Hrishi »

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
I don't mind not having click to move outside of tactical cam mode. What really irks me is not having click to select characters. Click to basic attack is seriously pointless when holding down 'R' does the same thing.

I also miss not being able to select multiple characters at once.

Offline Sera

• Iron and Rust
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »
I agree with most of those complaints.

I hate the retarded combat pathing, outside of combat, it's whatever, allies just teleport around, who cares, but in combat, movement skills seem to be preferentially used to do an hero off a cliff or something. I've been trying to avoid giving my AI controlled characters movement skills after watching Sera do jumping shots off of ledges and Blackwall using his various charges off a bridge into the abyss.

Also, there's a bear like a mile away: Blackwall pls, pls no, pls don't chase the bear, Blackwall y u do dis?

I always get menu bugs too, where the menus are unresponsive unless I tab the game and tab back. So that sucks and I wish it didn't do that, but w/e. I wish ladders/doors didn't show up on ping and if you opened then closed a chest, it would stop showing up on ping so I don't have to pick up trash, same with certain herbs/ores.

Not liking the story in this game, it's really convoluted and forced imo, lots of deus ex machina (skyhold is just like... there... totally abandoned but in otherwise good condition for no clear reason, everyone is super friendly towards the inquistor for... no real reason and most of the party members seem to join me for... no real reason other than that I'm the main character (looking at Iron Bull, Cassandra, and Varric), also most of the quests are dumb and

Hawke

needs to get out of my game and stop cramping my shit.)

I do like that mages were nerfed a bit compared to Origins though. While they're still good, I rolled two handed warrior in Origins and ended up spending more time playing Wynne, which was stupid.

I haven't actually tried the multiplayer yet because I don't have any friends, it looks weird though and not sure if I want to play it or not?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:35:19 PM by Sera »
Be you steadfast.

Offline Resplendent

• Do It All Again
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »
I don't like how endurance in the game became almost completely dependent on your potion capacity/upgrade level. Constantly having to return to camp to restock just wastes time. Bring back healing!! Or at least regen.
If you never try anything new, you\'ll miss out on many of life\'s great disappointments.

http://humoncomics.com/

Offline Sera

• Iron and Rust
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »
My feelings on that are mixed, I've found it fine for normal exploring, barriers/guard are enough almost indefinitely, but if you have one bad fight, it'll totally fuck you over and make you drop what you're doing.

I do find myself avoiding Skyhold though for the most part though, spend far too much time managing shit in town when I should be running around being the dovahkiin who never learned to swim.
Be you steadfast.

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »
Pinging ladders and fast travel stations annoys the hell out of me. Who even actually clicks on the fast travel station, when you can fast travel through the map?

Anyways, I finally decided to rush to the ending just so I can finally see what happens in the main story line. I agree with Sera that the story seems forced, especially in the final stage of the game where
we find out that the Anchor was pointless since we suddenly find out that there's this mystical pool of infinite knowledge that Corypheus can use to gain access to the Fade.

As far as the main plot goes, the only part that I enjoyed was finding out who Flemmeth really is. Everything else was your typical evil villain trying to take over the world stuff.

If anyone wants to play multiplayer on PC with me, add me to Origin. My Origin ID is kfmc
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:00:03 AM by Prodigy »

Offline Sera

• Iron and Rust
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 07:04:58 PM »
Someone on Reddit just posted the real reason why you can't swim in DA:I

Your hand has the anchor in it