Author Topic: Windows 10 makes RO better  (Read 3484 times)

Offline coren

• View Profile
Windows 10 makes RO better
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but playing RO in Windows X seems to get rid of all delay issues, all position issues, or at least most of them.

I haven't seen the game run this smooth and polished since...ever.

Offline Gamuza

• Alpacas are kawaii.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gamuzas FTW though.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows X makes RO better
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:09:51 AM »
Really? Did you apply the TCP delay fix before upgrading to 10 or other fixes/tweaks?
Ragnarok. Ragnarok never changes.

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »
Quote from: Gamuza;1410702
Really? Did you apply the TCP delay fix before upgrading to 10 or other fixes/tweaks?

I applied the fix afterwards, and it caused me all sorts of problems.  I went from running upwards of 5 instances with no lag, or at least minimal issues, to having problems with 1.

I upgraded to 10 after like 3 days from a clean install of 8.1 as well.

Offline Gamuza

• Alpacas are kawaii.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gamuzas FTW though.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »
So you say a clean Win10 installation, with absolutely no TCP delay fixes or things of the sort installed, runs almost flawlessly?

This tempts me to upgrade but I don't wan't any surprises by doing so :P
Ragnarok. Ragnarok never changes.

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 02:01:54 PM »
Quote from: Gamuza;1410768
So you say a clean Win10 installation, with absolutely no TCP delay fixes or things of the sort installed, runs almost flawlessly?

This tempts me to upgrade but I don't wan't any surprises by doing so :P

Given it's windows, it could be partly elements in my installs, since it's common some things aren't properly installed, partially installed, or corrupted on install due to maybe a smudge on the cd.

So you never know.

Give it a few months then.  It's just that a lot of people have been reporting similar increases in performance in other games, like FF11/14, and WoW, that I know of.  There are a few others posting about performance improvements on Warpportal, but to a lesser degree than I've experienced.

Some maps, as I've tested this more thoroughly, I'm not seeing as fantastic a boost, but then, with recent CME activity in the sun, my wireless has been acting up.  Going down constantly, or dropping, for no reason, to near nothing.  I usually have a 70~90% connection, full 5 and sometimes 4 bars, and it definitely shows.  So it's hard to say on slower maps, due to more enemies/skill usage, whether my wireless is now causing a little extra lag, or if the way Windows X streamlines programs actively being run, the performance boost is just minimalistic depending on the number of variables accounted for, and the server lag on those particular maps?  I don't know.

I do know that if I go to say, Payon, and toy around outside, with full five bars, it looks beautiful.  Crisp and clean, fluid animations, and I haven't seen anything approaching delayed position lag.  If I enter payon dungeon 5, I get a slight lag, but nothing like I was experiencing before, even on a beastial monster of a Vista machine, running the TCP Tweak.

About the only thing that I would need to test, is one of those programs that helps assure better server throughput.  Not gonna happen for a bit though, as I'm low in funds, but I'll get to that.

Though, definitely, it's probably better, given Windows releases, to wait a bit, but thus far I'm liking 10.  The start menu, for instance, is a nice compromise of 8 and 7.  It certainly brings back a lot of old-school XP nostalgia like 7 did, yet keeps some of those quick options available in a different GUI layout, that 8 and 8.1 have.  There are a few things you'll have to give up, like some user control options, though I'm sure people will come up with tweaks and registry keys to unlock certain "hidden" control features.  Most are present though, but let's say you want to convert your keyboard keys to a personalized layout.  You can't in windows 10 directly.  Either the program that comes with the keyboard allows such tweaks, or you'll be unable to change anything.  So laptop users who want to say, alter what the FN key does with F1~12 keys, and switch them from special PC functions like brightness/volume, to normal F1~12 functions while gaming, will have to make their own tweaks or hope the manufacturer built in a program to allow such tweaks.

Offline Rya.Reisender

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:12:37 AM »
Windows 10 is said to make everything faster so it makes sense it fixes delay issues.

It's impossible that it fixes certain position lag issues, though, as those are created by bugs in the client itself (that is - some flinch animations display faster or slower than the server tells the client).

Offline Atum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:23:22 AM »
While i think RO runs a bit smoother on Win10 i have a huge problem with  the mouse clicks sometimes suddenly not getting recognized anymore.

Imagine a MVP fight and suddenly your mouse clicks stop working. :mad:
You see the MVP casting earthquake with a 10 second castbar but you notice you can't run away anymore because the left mouse button does not get recognized anymore... :(

The  only "fix" for this that i found so far is to alt-tab to another window and then alt-tab  back in. Then the mouse buttons work again (until after a while they  stop working again).

Offline Rya.Reisender

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:28 AM »
I think there is some third party tool that fixes this mouse issue but I'm not sure if it's even allowed.

Offline Sera

• Iron and Rust
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:09:56 AM »
there is one and i'd advise you look it up and use it

had that problem years ago with windows vista and it was fucking obnoxious
Be you steadfast.

Offline Mr. Abomasnow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »
Quote from: Atum;1410987
While i think RO runs a bit smoother on Win10 i have a huge problem with  the mouse clicks sometimes suddenly not getting recognized anymore.

Imagine a MVP fight and suddenly your mouse clicks stop working. :mad:
You see the MVP casting earthquake with a 10 second castbar but you notice you can't run away anymore because the left mouse button does not get recognized anymore... :(

The  only "fix" for this that i found so far is to alt-tab to another window and then alt-tab  back in. Then the mouse buttons work again (until after a while they  stop working again).
This goes as far back as Windows 7, and I *think* XP but I can't really remember. At least XP in 2012/2013, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:10:06 AM by Mr. Abomasnow »