Author Topic: Connection problems with new laptop  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Pingu

• View Profile
Connection problems with new laptop
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
So I got a new laptop a few weeks ago. It's amazing, runs everything flawlessly, and the connection's great, or so I thought.

From first glance the connection runs perfectly (we have a wireless N network in our house), and the transfer rate seems pretty fucking high in most cases (seen it get up to 2.5 mb/s, something my old computer would never do). So after using it for a few days, I was starting to notice lag spikes I was getting randomly. The spike usually lasts for ~10 seconds, but there have been times where the connection entirely dies for a minute or two. This seems to happen no matter what I'm doing, playing WoW, fucking around on vent, browsing websites, IMing, whatever.

From doing the Diagnose and Repair option while the problem is happening, it tells me that it found a problem but can't be fixed through repairing or whatever. Also msn was telling me it was a problem connecting to the dns server. ALSO my connection mentioned problems connecting to the dns server another time too, so that seems to be the problem.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Also we have 2 different networks in the house (ones basically an extension of the other, just it's a different router), I've tried using both and the problem seems to still persist. Also if it's worth noting, the connection problems only happen on this computer. My brother tells me he hasn't been getting any of this, and from what I see my old computer doesn't have any connection issues.

Edit: Also looking at the connection status it says
IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
IPv6 Connectivity: Limited

...Is that limited connection good? I also have no idea what IPv4/IPv6 is, but yeah.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:17:30 PM by Pingu »
[INDENT]
[Sakray] [Ymir][Classic]
Dead forever.

.Pingu
- 8x Rogue
Egoosu -8x Priest

[/INDENT][INDENT]
[/INDENT]

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
    • http://www.healplz.com
Re: Connection problems with new laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:12:03 AM »
TcpIP protocols version4 and 6. 6 is newer obviously, backwards compatible.

When the connection goes bad, go into Start > Run > Type "Cmd" and click ok. Type "tracert irowiki.org" or any address/ip.

Then you can see where the problem is. Copy/Paste it here if your confused.

Remember, with wireless connections... they can be interrupted. They usually have no problem going through walls, wood.. but one thing that really screws them up is Water. Considering humans are 70% water, if someone is sitting in its path, it can really make a big difference.
Useful RO Tools [Dev Blog]

LOTRO: [Player Profile]
RO: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
Steam: [TF2] [3FL] [L4D] [L4D2]

Offline Pingu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:15:25 PM »
Quote from: Artimus;363357
TcpIP protocols version4 and 6. 6 is newer obviously, backwards compatible.

When the connection goes bad, go into Start > Run > Type "Cmd" and click ok. Type "tracert irowiki.org" or any address/ip.

Then you can see where the problem is. Copy/Paste it here if your confused.

Remember, with wireless connections... they can be interrupted. They usually have no problem going through walls, wood.. but one thing that really screws them up is Water. Considering humans are 70% water, if someone is sitting in its path, it can really make a big difference.

Thanks for replying.

Gotten the lag a few more times today (while on WoW), was only short spikes (~5 secs or so), so couldn't really do a tracert in time. Uh, from messing around with some tracerts though, I found something weird when I do a tracert for WoW.

Tracing route to worldofwarcraft.com [12.129.242.22]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
  2   166 ms     9 ms     9 ms  L100.VFTTP-01.CMDNNJ.verizon-gni.net [72.73.230.
1]
  3   209 ms    10 ms     8 ms  P2-1.LCR-01.CMDNNJ.verizon-gni.net [130.81.32.18
4]
  4   217 ms    10 ms    12 ms  P13-0-0.LCR-02.CMDNNJ.verizon-gni.net [130.81.27
.246]
  5   100 ms    12 ms    11 ms  P9-0-0.LCR-02.CMDNNJ.verizon-gni.net [130.81.29.
34]
  6    12 ms    11 ms    12 ms  0.so-6-0-0.XL2.PHL6.ALTER.NET [152.63.3.81]
  7    19 ms    20 ms    19 ms  0.so-7-0-0.XL4.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.32.125]
  8    20 ms    18 ms    19 ms  0.ge-3-3-0.BR2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.40.229]
  9    19 ms    21 ms    20 ms  192.205.35.37
 10    95 ms    96 ms    94 ms  12.122.134.114
 11    93 ms    94 ms    94 ms  cr1.attga.ip.att.net [12.122.1.173]
 12    94 ms    95 ms    93 ms  cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.28.174]
 13    96 ms    94 ms    94 ms  cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.28.178]
 14    94 ms    95 ms    94 ms  gar5.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.25]
 15   107 ms   198 ms   199 ms  12.122.255.74
 16    95 ms    96 ms    96 ms  mdf001c7613r0003-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [12.12
9.193.242]
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.
*Points at all the time outs* Wondering why it just suddenly times out like that lol. Also internet was running smoothly while it was timing out, I connected to WoW website (and other websites) at normal speed. Also it happens everytime I do a tracert to wow.com, but not other adresses.

Uhh about what you said with water/stuff getting in the way, it's probably not that. I've had the connection problems happen when I've got the laptop on my lap, and when it's just sitting on my bed/a desk. The problems have also happened from two rooms (one being the room I primarily use it in, being like 20~30 feet away from the router), and the other being the room the router is in.

I haven't been (atleast today) noticing any problems with my overall connection, so I'm thinking it might just be my connection to WoW (or related to using WoW in some way). Other times where my connection was screwy might've just been a special occasion, I dunno.

Still looking for some fix!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:27:18 PM by Pingu »
[INDENT]
[Sakray] [Ymir][Classic]
Dead forever.

.Pingu
- 8x Rogue
Egoosu -8x Priest

[/INDENT][INDENT]
[/INDENT]

Offline Sels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »
That tracert is normal.

Those time out are there because the tracert got to the destination, you get 30 hops displayed but you only needed 16 to finish it so it has nothing else to ping after that.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:43:19 PM »
Yeah. Some servers make it so you cant ping them, unless your already connected. Stops those Chinese port-spammers trying to hack you and slowing the server down.

It looks ok. If you say it happens only on that computer, do the tracert on the other computer.

Try this, "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" leave it going for a while. Play WoW, it wont interrupt the game. When it spikes, alt tab out, and check the log. You can press Ctrl-C to cancel it.

If you see a spike in the log, its a connection to the router. Otherwise, it may be some software on the computer causing the system to lag.

Offline Pingu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
Quote from: Artimus;364002
Try this, "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" leave it going for a while. Play WoW, it wont interrupt the game. When it spikes, alt tab out, and check the log. You can press Ctrl-C to cancel it.

Just got a spike on vent, looked at the log and it has a "Request timed out". So uhh...problem connecting to router I guess? Will keep pinging and seeing if I get any bigger spikes.

Edit: Gotten some more spikes, all giving me the "Request timed out".
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:44:37 PM by Pingu »
[INDENT]
[Sakray] [Ymir][Classic]
Dead forever.

.Pingu
- 8x Rogue
Egoosu -8x Priest

[/INDENT][INDENT]
[/INDENT]

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »
Okay, more things to try.

Is the spiking frequent? Approximately every 60 seconds? It could be Wlan Config searching for new networks and is slowing you down. I have it on my laptop, and haven't been able to fix it yet.. (I heard installing XP drivers can fix it).

Start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking. Do "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" again. If it does not spike, then it is a software problem.

If it spiked, then try one of these things.
Change the Wireless Channel; in the router's config interface. Something in your house/other networks may be interfering with the connection.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections
Right Click > Properties on the Network Connection.
Configure > Advanced Tab > Check Duplex Method (Try change to Semi-Duplex, or Half-Duplex)

Offline Pingu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:51:29 PM »
Quote from: Artimus;364558
Okay, more things to try.

Is the spiking frequent? Approximately every 60 seconds? It could be Wlan Config searching for new networks and is slowing you down. I have it on my laptop, and haven't been able to fix it yet.. (I heard installing XP drivers can fix it).
Spiking isn't very frequent, and how bad it is seems to varies. I would guess I get a spike on average every 5 or 10 minutes, but sometimes it's big enough for me to notice it myself, while sometimes I was just checking the log randomly and saw a few time outs there. Definitely often enough to be annoying.

Quote from: Artimus
Start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking. Do "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" again. If it does not spike, then it is a software problem.
Just tried that, as soon as I started pinging (on the 3rd ping or something) it had a time out. Also overall it seemed to be going a lot laggier. Loaded up a youtube video to test, and while the video was playing I had ms go up to 1000~2000 frequently. Might just be safe mode being weird, I dunno. Also computer is running Vista, if that's of any importance.

Quote from: Artimus
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections
Right Click > Properties on the Network Connection.
Configure > Advanced Tab > Check Duplex Method (Try change to Semi-Duplex, or Half-Duplex)
About to try this! Will update with whatever happens.
[INDENT]
[Sakray] [Ymir][Classic]
Dead forever.

.Pingu
- 8x Rogue
Egoosu -8x Priest

[/INDENT][INDENT]
[/INDENT]

Offline Pingu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 06:16:17 PM »
Uhh. I fail. Couldn't find the options to change the duplex, looked all over. Went into my router config and found where you change the wireless channel, but I have no idea what to put it at.

Edit: After reading a bit about wireless channels I feel I have a bit more understanding of the (possible) problem. Uhh, we have two networks set up in the house, one is the "main" network, the other one is an Apple "Time Capsule" which is basically an external hard drive that you can back up to through the network. The time capsule also sets up an additional network (through the main one, it's connected to it), which is the wireless N one that I've been using primarily (the other is G, and I've tested using it and all the same problems occured). Would one of the networks somehow be interfering with eachother? From what I read about wireless channels, the point of it seems to be to fix any interference between networks. If that's the case, would changing the wireless channel fix that? By the way, the "main" network's channel is currently set to automatic (don't ask me!). I don't know how to get into the config for the 2nd, so I couldn't tell you what it's set to!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:56:44 PM by Pingu »
[INDENT]
[Sakray] [Ymir][Classic]
Dead forever.

.Pingu
- 8x Rogue
Egoosu -8x Priest

[/INDENT][INDENT]
[/INDENT]

Offline Pingu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »
Still getting stupid spikes. Really annoying last night.

Seek help!
[INDENT]
[Sakray] [Ymir][Classic]
Dead forever.

.Pingu
- 8x Rogue
Egoosu -8x Priest

[/INDENT][INDENT]
[/INDENT]

Offline Blueness

• Sharklets
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://rostory.org
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 11:30:20 AM »
A few things:

• How far are you away from the router usually
  • Any cordless phones, microwaves, or anything else operating on 2.4 or 5.8 ghz between you and the router (pretty much any sort of wireless things, even wireless xbox/wii controllers, etc)
  • Is the router near any of the above
  • Try turning off the time capsule for an evening
  • Does the router have antennas that you can adjust
  • Try using the laptop right next (like, next to it on the table) to the router for an evening and see if that does anything
  • Use either N, or G, not both, turn off whichever you aren't using
Do you have another router you can try, or a friend's house with wireless you can try?

Since it is a new laptop and your (old?) laptop didn't do it, I'd almost suspect the hardware is bad, and needs fixed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:39:32 AM by Blueness »
iRO Classic, iRO Ymir, iRO Loki, iRO Valkyrie, iRO Sakray Goodbye RO! | ropd | http://www.rainymood.com

breeg : if you ds fast enough it\'s kinda like having them exp tap shit for you

Doddler: I feel bad for anyone who came to classic RO actually wanting the classic experience.

Offline Pingu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »
Quote from: Bluedreams;366319
How far are you away from the router usually

20-30 Feet, right across from the room the router is in.

Quote from: Bluedreams
Any cordless phones, microwaves, or anything else operating on 2.4 or 5.8 ghz between you and the router (pretty much any sort of wireless things, even wireless xbox/wii controllers, etc)
Uhh got a cordless phone in this room and the room the router's in. Don't know if it's operating on 2.4 or 5.8.

Is the router near any of the above

Not really. It's on the other side of the room.

Try turning off the time capsule for an evening

Will try.

Does the router have antennas that you can adjust

Yeah, it has an antenna. Could try messing with that, kinda doubt it's the problem though.

Try using the laptop right next (like, next to it on the table) to the router for an evening and see if that does anything

Can try that again...but like I said in a previous post, I've played in the room with the router/near the router before and the spikes still happened.

Use either N, or G, not both, turn off whichever you aren't using
Don't know how to turn off one or the other. Only thing I know to do would be just turn the time capsule off, but kinda gets rid of the point of having it.

Do you have another router you can try, or a friend's house with wireless you can try?

Not really, no other router we have.

Since it is a new laptop and your (old?) laptop didn't do it, I'd almost suspect the hardware is bad, and needs fixed.    

Old computer is a desktop, not a laptop. It's connected through an ethernet cable, so it's not wireless like this is. It was wireless in the past though, and I had a few issues with it. I believe that was the...adapter or whatever you call it having problems, though. The problems in the past were also a lot worse (internet right out going out for hours randomly, and staying connected for other computer etc).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:39:10 PM by Pingu »
[INDENT]
[Sakray] [Ymir][Classic]
Dead forever.

.Pingu
- 8x Rogue
Egoosu -8x Priest

[/INDENT][INDENT]
[/INDENT]

Offline Blueness

• Sharklets
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://rostory.org
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
Ah, if the ethernet line is still there I'd use that, but otherwise...

Basically, go into the router and set it to use one of the other, perferably the one your time capsule is using. I'd go with G myself, and set the time capsule to use it, as G has been out longer and is generally more stable.

Cordless phones are a big red flag, at my family's place, whenever the phone rings, the wireless cuts out ;) Try unplugging the cordless phones for an evening.
iRO Classic, iRO Ymir, iRO Loki, iRO Valkyrie, iRO Sakray Goodbye RO! | ropd | http://www.rainymood.com

breeg : if you ds fast enough it\'s kinda like having them exp tap shit for you

Doddler: I feel bad for anyone who came to classic RO actually wanting the classic experience.

Offline Pingu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 12:32:17 PM »
Quote from: Bluedreams;367219
Ah, if the ethernet line is still there I'd use that, but otherwise...

I can use the ethernet if I'm in the other room. But if I wanted it in this room...hello cable running through the middle of the hall into this room. And considering it's a laptop, I never know when I might want to move it. Moving the cable with me will be very fun when I take my laptop downstairs (pls no). Soooooo yeah wireless ftw!

Basically, go into the router and set it to use one of the other, perferably the one your time capsule is using. I'd go with G myself, and set the time capsule to use it, as G has been out longer and is generally more stable.
If I can find a config for the time capsule I'll see if I can do that... Also if I can set the time capsule to G, I should be able to disable the first router's wireless entirely. Only reason to keep it up is 2 old computers that can't use N. Which if the time capsule is set to G then yeah.

Try unplugging the cordless phones for an evening.    
Could try...they're usually pretty good though. I've been talking on the phone right next to this laptop and haven't seen any dramatic difference with my connection.

But yeah, will see if I can find a config for the time capsule!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:08:59 PM by Pingu »
[INDENT]
[Sakray] [Ymir][Classic]
Dead forever.

.Pingu
- 8x Rogue
Egoosu -8x Priest

[/INDENT][INDENT]
[/INDENT]