Author Topic: The Photography Thread  (Read 12961 times)

Offline eiyuu

• View Profile
    • http://rostory.org/bre/
Re: The Photography Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »

Both pics taken the same day.  The north part of the island had beautiful weather, whilst the south (where I live) was flooding @_@

Yay for phallic symbols ;D

I miss my digital camera ):

Offline Lana

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 07:02:03 AM »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:28:33 AM by Lana »
                    :rolleyes:

Offline Devour

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 03:12:10 PM »
Quote from: Lana;406366

Whoaaaa. I love this, haha. How come I've never seen any of this stuff on Aureus forums.

Offline Nibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »
I took some pictures of some of the flowers around my house a couple years ago. I should try doing that again with a better camera and a tripod.  Yes, I know they're a bit big, but detail's one of the reasons you do close-ups, right?

Yellow cosmos being watered.

A funky rose.

Some pinkish snapdragons.

A deeper pinkish snapdragon.

White Rose.

Kinda cool antique rose.

Yellow snapdragons.

Honey bee doing an orange cosmos.

Light pink snapdragons again.

Yellow snapdragons again.

Goofing off, wanted to see what would happen if I took a picture of some marigolds at night with the flash off.

That antique rose again.
Violence: What you do when you don\'t care anymore.
(.)(.) - These are eTitties. They show how serious I am.

Offline Bokeh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:53 PM »
Hey guys, I haven't played RO in a while, but I'm going to come back this summer.

Anyways... I started photography a year ago, and I would like to show you guys some of my pictures. Most of these pics were taken in Texas.

If you like what you see please visit my flickr or smugmug!

Guadelupe Street, a very long street with tons of shops and places to eat next to campus.

Yummy sandwich at the very first whole foods ever, located in Austin.

Some guy getting some icecream on my vacation to Boston.

Picture of the UT clock tower from afar

My friend I-han :D
Valkyrie Server
Flickr - 9x High Priest

http://www.flickr.com/moarbokeh

Offline Aethereal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 06:44:41 AM »
I'm not a pro or anything so I guess I don't have many photos that really fit here, but this is one that I'm really proud of. It turned out so beautifully~ It was taken from my front yard after a thunder storm.

Another angle same thing~ http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4407/dscn.png

Water fountain thing in front of a butterfly house (which the house isn't in the photo).
I just thought it had really pretty colors.

Pictures taken in the butterfly house:

Sorry I don't have a DSLR, but I try :' [
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:45:11 AM by Aethereal »

Offline Resplendent

• Do It All Again
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »

I soooo need a new camera!! But still, I'm quite pleased with how this turned out :D
If you never try anything new, you\'ll miss out on many of life\'s great disappointments.

http://humoncomics.com/

Offline Sinome

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »
Quote from: Aethereal;455023

Don't let people tell you you have to have a DSLR (or SLR but I guess most people here don't shoot flim) to take good photographs. Sure, having a higher end camera means that you are able to do more, have more control, and get higher quality photos (like less grain). Simply having one does not make you a better photographer, just like not having one doesn't mean you are a bad photographer.

/soapbox

Offline Aiofe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 12:14:48 PM »
Quote from: Sinome;458717

Don't let people tell you you have to have a DSLR (or SLR but I guess most people here don't shoot flim) to take good photographs. Sure, having a higher end camera means that you are able to do more, have more control, and get higher quality photos (like less grain). Simply having one does not make you a better photographer, just like not having one doesn't mean you are a bad photographer.

/soapbox
On a side note, there are relatively cheap new point-and-shoot camera's with the same amount of megapixels as my DSLR(2 years old though i admit) which isn't too low end. Really, some of those little tiny camera's can produce some pretty decent quality pics if you use it right.

Offline Bokeh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 01:58:58 AM »
Quote from: Aiofe;459866

/soapbox
On a side note, there are relatively cheap new point-and-shoot camera's with the same amount of megapixels as my DSLR(2 years old though i admit) which isn't too low end. Really, some of those little tiny camera's can produce some pretty decent quality pics if you use it right.

1. Yes! You don't need to have a fancy camera to take good pictures.

2. there are 100 year old cameras that offer the same control as a DSLR.

3. Now days the quality of the picture is mostly dependent on the lens and size of sensor, not megapixels

If you don't have the money for a dslr, search for a old film slr with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. You can shoot equally as nice pics as a DSLR with a 50 dollar camera!
Valkyrie Server
Flickr - 9x High Priest

Offline Aiofe

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 02:51:48 AM »
Quote from: Bokeh;462936
2. there are 100 year old cameras that offer the same control as a DSLR.

3. Now days the quality of the picture is mostly dependent on the lens and size of sensor, not megapixels

If you don't have the money for a dslr, search for a old film slr with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. You can shoot equally as nice pics as a DSLR with a 50 dollar camera!
Actually there's BETTER control from 100 year old camera's (or at least from the 'old' design), giganto sized view camera anyone?

Well, for a fixed lens point and shoot digital i think megapixel amount is a little more prominent. It really effects the grain on the picture pretty severely in my experience. Not to mention (just to defend myself) no matter what megapixels DO make a difference but primarily when compared at larger amount differences. But yes, you're right about the sensor and lens. To be honest though you can hardly compare those to slr's though since obviously those come in all 3 generalized format sizes and have tons of len's available to switch out.

Besides being a digital fan, i don't consider film a good alternative. You either have to go out of your way to process it yourself (for the regular person) or get it done by a store where you have no control over it. Then for printing you can have the idiots at the store do it and not be able to crop, color correct, etc, go out of your way again to find a darkroom....or get a film scanner and be fighting dust specks with the heal brush in photoshop for the rest of your life. If everything is done right, of course quality is just as good as a digital equivalent but you really have to WANT to use film and deal with its inconveniences. I don't reject it's quality at all but you really have to be in LOVE with film to pick it up as a hobby.
...and 4x6 prints from CVS don't count. lol.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:06:23 AM by Aiofe »

Offline Regn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »

/soapbox

I agree with this. I own a point and shoot camera, but I have played around with a DSLR too. A higher end camera gives you more control, access to a wide variety of lenses, and are usually equipped to take pictures in low-light situations without relying on a high (grainy) ISO or flash.

Offline Maya

• dust it off
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 07:59:21 PM »
i really like color and macro shots apparently (i love some of the long-exposure shots here!)

it's getting a little crowded, you fools

o ya

(these are pretty old.. sorry some are really small, i'm just picking a few out of some entries in my lj when i actually took the time to post pics..)

and hey, how about some polaroids?

icestorm

i'll have to find the photos i put together in a portfolio for college.. hum.

ps resp I'M JEALOUS OF WHERE YOU LIVE. man. gorgeous.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote from: KingOfBabylon - 3/2/2008 2:00 PM
Maya and boom is serious business.
Some very VERY serious business.

if I paint myself green will you fap to me
^w^
how2troll: the guide

Offline Bokeh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »
Maya, that "o ya" picture is amazing!!

Japanese Magnolias! They were only in bloom for a week though :(.

Random hdr shot in Houston.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:03:03 PM by Bokeh »
Valkyrie Server
Flickr - 9x High Priest

Offline Sinome

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
I'm starting to develop an involuntary gag reflex when I hear HDR because most of it is terrible. That shot, on the other hand, is good HDR. None of that plasticky vomit inducing over saturated crap.