Author Topic: Sidewinder in Katar type?  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Buyscript

• View Profile
Sidewinder in Katar type?
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »
Is it really worth it to use a Sidewinder Card in a Katar weapon?

At first this seemed really stupid to me because Double Attack and Crit don't mix. And Katars are crit-oriented by nature because of their double-crit property.

But then I began to see a bunch of Assassins using this kind of setup, and even Sidewinder Cards in very nice upgraded katars that I would never dream of 'ruining' like that. And it got me wondering...

Double Attack 10 is pretty much a staple of ordinary Thief levelling. Using Sidewinder lets you put those 10 skill points to use. I began to think this might actually work for builds not focused on critting.

But is it really better than just adding damage (like Andre/Zipper), or % Damage Modifiers (race/element)?

Please share your experience if you've used Sidewinder in a Katar.

Offline Zeca

• View Profile
Re: Sidewinder in Katar type?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »
chick hat>everything

Offline Xxelos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
In general I think normal "DD" builds with good agi/str are better off using chick hat + katar rather than trying to crit with them. Advantages of using katars to level would be decent attack speed, able to use your attack skills (SB and Grim) and ele on demand katars (slotted elemental cards carded with whatever).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9X Stalker, 9X Paladin, 9X High Priest, 9X Champ

Offline Buyscript

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »
This didn't really answer my question.
What if I don't want to use Sonic Blow and Grimtooth (often)? And not use Chick Hat at all?

Not that I'm saying that's a good idea, because it definitely doesn't sound like it. But I mean SB/Grim won't proc Double Attack anyways.

Like I said, I first thought putting Sidewinder Card in a katar weapon was a really dumb idea. But you guys haven't given me any reason to prove this except "Chick Hat is better". What if I can't get a Chick Hat?

I play on Valkyrie and Chick Hat is a cash-shop only item on this server, it's not tradeable, and is account-bound.

Offline Neraid

• This Suit Burns Better
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
Not taking crit into account, Double attack 10 gives you 50% more damage when ctrl-clicking.  So, if you're ctrl-clicking vs monsters with low def that you can hit fine, then of course sidewinder card is way way way better than a 20% dmg card.

Against monsters with high def, or ones that you can't hit, crit becomes more useful.  But against high-def monsters you're usually better of using an icepick.

So generally it's a great idea, but it depends on what you're fighting, and what your crit rate is.  Use a calc to look at your dps vs the monsters you want to fight.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:30:32 PM by Neraid »

Offline Golden Fingers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 04:48:21 AM »
Without chick hat a hybrid jur on a sinx out damages 2x carded daggers in ALL scenarios, but not on a regular sin. Regular sin needs chick hat. Keep in mind im talking about 3xRace gladius + 4x element MG.

On a sinx with adv mastery a +6 hybrid boned katar will match a pair of perfectly carded daggers for a fraction of the cost.

The only time I use crit on my sinx is when im fighting things that cannot be hit, like cecil daemon or mistress (or morrocs shadows).

This will change in renewal where crit functions very similarly to double attack in terms of damage output, so crit+DA would work together nicely.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:49:09 AM by Golden Fingers »
IGN: Hrothmund, Priest\'o\'Matic

Offline DarkDestiny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:34 AM »
I think its only a good idea to add a sidewinder card into a katar for two reasons off the top of my head.

1. If its a divest Katar (LoL I dont even know if skills proc from the double attack) But hey at least it kinda locks ur opponent. *Edit* I forgot to mention its not even prob worth it if your a low dex char to try to divest opponents that have far more stats like that then you...

2. To Proc Skills? Ifrit Rings/KettleHat/ maybe if someone is wearing reflect gear, and you can proc antiskills like bleeding or trigger your armor set.

Beats me though. I think chick hats replaced sidewinder cards long ago.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:25:06 AM by DarkDestiny »

Offline Ciler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »
Quote from: Buyscript;665517
But then I began to see a bunch of Assassins using this kind of setup, and even Sidewinder Cards in very nice upgraded katars that I would never dream of 'ruining' like that. And it got me wondering...
It may be worth considering the possibility that these were made before the chick hat was available.

Offline Neraid

• This Suit Burns Better
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »
Quote from: DarkDestiny;705710
I think chick hats replaced sidewinder cards long ago.

It did, but now there are lots of new headgears which are pretty awesome (eg: 10 flee, 2 str, 15 atk), so sidewinder becomes a more appealing option.  Especially if you're fighting different sorts of monsters and want to use endow, so that replacing a % card with a sidewinder isn't so bad.