Author Topic: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn: officially open and discussion thread  (Read 122899 times)

Offline After Life

• Hi
    • View Profile
Re: FFXIV
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 11:57:11 AM »
Those requirements are a little higher than I was expecting too. I mean I'm above all of them, but some of my friends might have to upgrade some stuff to be able to play. Luckily most of that stuff isn't that expensive anymore.
Duck Goes Splat

Yellow and Black

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
keyword being might.. it's only for alpha testing, they may reduce requirements if they find the game runs extremely well during alpha on those

Offline After Life

• Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »
Or increase them if it doesn't run well enough :(
Duck Goes Splat

Yellow and Black

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »
I will honestly be surprised if they need to be increased

and maybe a bit pissed cos I will have to get a new vid card

Offline After Life

• Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27:10 PM »
I might try to build a new comp anyway soon just to be safe.
Duck Goes Splat

Yellow and Black

Offline sao

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 01:33:47 PM »
i hope i get accepted into the first beta wave

gettin bored of RO

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
    • http://www.healplz.com
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 12:40:46 AM »
Quote from: Shaohuan;711023

Check this page out. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Steam runs monthly hardware surveys, to see the direction in which they should develop games.

Around 15% of people have less than 2GB Ram.
Around 19% have less than a 2.4ghz processor.
Still around 25% have DX9 GPU's, but some will work with FFXIV.

So like i said, that is a pretty low min requirements.

You can get a system with those min specs, 2GB 2.4ghz Nvidia 9600GT, for around $500 (AU) these days.
Useful RO Tools [Dev Blog]

LOTRO: [Player Profile]
RO: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
Steam: [TF2] [3FL] [L4D] [L4D2]

Offline Ankle Snare

• Dude, just show me your dick
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »
dammit :v i'm still waiting for my e-mail.

ofc. im gonna be a mithra monk again! i beat bitches with my fists.

also; isnt it sad my laptop has more power to play a high res videogame while my desktop computer can barely open it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
beat your face like you beat your hole.

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 03:05:33 AM »
well, alpha is starting April 8th. SE has asked nothing from the manual and shit be uploaded.

howeverrrrsss... didn't stop anyone

things of interest

it says only for ff14 ALPHA but still L O L

First name/last name system... seriously? SERIOUSLY?

and good thing or bad thing, shit looks like it'll be very similar to FFXI in several areas

namely synths and macro system

teleport crystals are back, but now anyone can teleport to them if you've been to them? and no need for blm for D2, can just return to your save point from your main menu.

similar chat system, /s, /sh/, /t or all back.. /tell is used in /tell Firstname Lastname msg form though

Bazaars are back, and they're still taxed

Battle
Q:  I’ve arrived in Limsa Lominsa and watched the event  scene with Baderon,  the potty-mouthed proprietor of the Drowning  Wench. What do I do next?
A:  Access your Journal from the main menu.  Select Class Quests to view a  log of all that has transpired, as well  as what lies immediately ahead  on your path to adventure.

Q: My  weapon is drawn, why isn’t that  plague rat DEAD!?
A: Just as Van  Ghoh could have never painted a  single sunflower without clicking the  Paint button in his action menu,  an adventurer cannot thrust, swing, or  throw her weapon until the  corresponding button is clicked.

Q:  Do blacksmiths and miners  have any battle options other than throwing  stones?
A: Not during the  Alpha/Beta tests. Though perhaps through  prayer will the Twelve one day  grant the Disciples of the Land and the  Hand with new ways to fell  Eorzea’s nasty beasties.
sounds similar to action rpg, or maybe you can do a basic attack just engaging, while everything else is done by macros, again

it also sounds like Sage Sundi wrote this manual lol

but this name system I think will fucking annoy me... like srsly, as if /ma "Cure IV" wasn't bad enough to type, replacing with a single name when shit wouldn't load in highly populated zones on people outside of alliance (lol hnm hate confusion rodeo ensues), but having to type something out like that with a last name too? I hope SE does not have the same exact macro system or heads will roll.

Red – Incredibly Tough
Orange – Very Tough
Yellow – Tough
Green  – Decent Challenge
Blue – Easy Prey

that's back...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:22:27 AM by Shao »

Offline Toledo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 04:30:53 AM »
Quote from: angelus11;711412
Man just funny to reminisce, when i was at a EB games when ff11 came out in liek 2004 i think, i was blown away with the requirements 512mb of ram!

And now you have 512 req on vid card alone.

For... bump mapped giant crabs?

A gamepad is recommended

brb, loling

Offline angelus11

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
Well i have always used first name and last names for my characters in all mmorpg that it was possible so that doesnt bother me...but macro system does bother me ;_; and gamepad too haha

Offline Jaffer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 01:12:54 PM »
Quote from: Artimus;712308
Quote from: Shaohuan;711023

Check this page out. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Steam runs monthly hardware surveys, to see the direction in which they should develop games.

Around 15% of people have less than 2GB Ram.
Around 19% have less than a 2.4ghz processor.
Still around 25% have DX9 GPU's, but some will work with FFXIV.

So like i said, that is a pretty low min requirements.

You can get a system with those min specs, 2GB 2.4ghz Nvidia 9600GT, for around $500 (AU) these days.

Like $200 US lol.

Offline -ray

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »
So alpha starts today?
got fist?! Champ 99/70
got bolt?! Int Scholar 99/70
x R e i SinX 99/70
- R e i Hwiz 99/70
. R e i LK 99/70
~ R a y HP 99/70
Can\'t Live Minstrel 99/70
I\'m Nothing Minstrel 99/70
R e i ! Bio 99/6x

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »
for US. it was apparently going on in EU/Japan the past 2 days or so for the specified times (they had to log on at like x time - x time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akEn5xSDi6A

omg VA's!

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »
ok boys and girls

a decent (Heaven 2.0) benchmark test:

http://unigine.com/download/

it's guessed if you do well w/ this benchmark, you should probably run FF14 fine
according to things I'm seeing about alpha:

-it's more beginner friendly: get dumped on a boat, fight a jellyfish, get some story background. much better than ffxi--get dumped in a town with some cutscenes and you're ON YOUR OWN FREE FLY AWAY.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=22042

some new famitsu stuff about ff14 that elmer (don't know who that is? he is one of the big names of translators for jp info, usually gets info to us sooner than SE translators do)

points to note:

-character/avatar system! very customizable apparently, and facial expressions are better
-weapon skills appear to be gained the same way FFXI did
-travel time is much better
-quests can be done with a full party or a single person, and difficulty is adjusted based on the # in the party (more soloability!?)
-physical levels, aka levels as we know, grant us points we can place (no predetermined stat gains like in ffxi)
-weakness still exists (lowered mHP/mMP after a death for 5 mins)
-MP is not regained the same way as in FFXI (no automatic regen)
-HP is automatically regened when weapon is put away.. apparently it is easy for even magic classes to solo (no gimp WHM solo?)
-can walk when casting, but distance will still affect your magic.. (same with attacks, you want to be in the most effective distance for the best attack strength)

From v3 Alpha manual

Synthesis Properties
Each  synthesis attempt is governed  by three distinct factors. These are  listed below with a brief  description of each.

- Progress
Progress,  which begins at 0%  and ends at 100%, denotes how close the current  synthesis is to  completion.
- Durability
Durability will diminish  each time a  command is executed during the crafting process. Should the  durability  reach zero, the synthesis will fail and the ingredients will  be lost.
-  Focus
Higher degrees of focus allow for a greater  chance of  creating high-quality items, while at the same time increasing   difficulty. Such crafting results will yield higher rewards from   synthesis-oriented local levequests.

Viewing the graphic results   of a command can help to determine whether the command produced  positive  or negative results. Through such careful observation, players  can  increase not only their overall chances of success, but the  likelihood  of high-quality yields as well.
synthesis sounds better this time around.. no more just hitting a crystal, selecting items, waiting, over and over again hopefully