Author Topic: (Lore): The Rekenber corporation, Biolabs, Thanatos Tower  (Read 176344 times)

Offline Ying Hua

• View Profile
Re: (Lore): The Rekenber corporation and Biolabs
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »
Kiel Hyre Dungeon: Yeah, dolls were created with the help of Kiel and  Rekenber.
Thanatos Tower: As far as I know, they discovered the tower and started  an expedition, some people tell the tower itself was summoned by Satan  Morroc.
Juperos: Dunno if rekenber has something to do with this, since Juperos  is an ancient civilization.

Why LK and SinX demons? Well, because the fire started because the LK,  SinX maybe due to his killing nature could not be considered human.

Edit: Well the history of biolabs is something like this:

Rekenber was trying to clone the best of all classes for military  purposes, and they started with the first classes, but it did not  work...
Then Rekenber tried with the trans classes, the best of the best, but  insted of cloning them Rekenber tried to extract their spirits and  materialize em.

The father of the LK Seyren and Egnigem Cenia, who worked for Rekenber  tried to stop the experiment, but failed, he was set in prision and  later relasead to see the experiment.

They materialized the spirit of Seyren, but was too powerful and started  to clonning himself, destroying everything except his father.

Is being tell that the clones hate humans and the real spirits of the  warriors are still there, in bio labs (probably the MVP versions).

Not sure about this, but  this history was told by the father of LK and  Swordie, the curious stuff is he died -in game- 20 years ago.
Interesting! Source? Or is this your interpretation?

Cenia is referenced in one of the really, really, really obscure side quests. I'm sure that Cenia and Seyren are not related, as Seyren does appear in the belt quest. But it'd be interesting if that's true, though.

A lot of dungeons also have interesting things which I feel can be  expanded upon. And the lore of monsters have always interested me. What exactly  is a skeggiold, anyway? A venatu? A sword guardian?
This I can answer. Sword guardians and also, regular WoE guardians are the creations of the RKB corporation. Kiel gives a good deal of insight on what they're supposed to be. For a specific source, I think the Kiel dungeon entrance quest itself shows you some notes that explains this.

Venatus are, well... basically, long story short, RKB activated some automated defense system, and Venatus are simply the lowest class of drones. That's what I remember, though I have to double check on that...

Also, though I havn't seen much story and such about it, it appears that  Detardeurus and the other dragons that inhabit abyss lake were  originally summoned by Morroc. Whether he stationed them there or they  fled to Abyss Lake after his defeat is up in the air, but they were  originally his minions.
I believe Abyss Lake rose back up to the surface due to the incoming of some new world (hinting at the Splendide/Manuk, perhaps?), and that the Petites you see are degenerate forms of the "original dragons." They weren't minions, per se, but they were driven back by the one badass who had all the anti-dragon gear at some point.

The Tower was renamed to Thanatos Tower in memory of Thanatos obviously,  and apparently was forgotten entirely until just before the 10.3  Update, where the Rekenber Corporation discovered it and started  restoring it. Presumably they got close to whatever secret someone was  hiding there, as the Tower was then attacked by the Angels and Thanatos'  Spirit began to haunt the place.
My theory is that the Thanatos Tower is one of the things that kept Morroc in check. Notice the line Thanatos utters when he is defeated in the final floor (MVP chamber - top of that tower thing)? On cRO, it's something along the lines of "It's ... not right. I must return to my place .... to defend ..."

I should really finish sorting out the portion on Thanatos tower. :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:56:34 PM by Ying Hua »

Offline edmunddantes2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
Very interesting Lore.

I like the Bio Lab LVL2 lore. Well prepared. Thanks hope to see more of your Lores.

Offline Hikari

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
I don't know if there's a record of it anywhere other than maybe somewhere in the game client or if it was official, but the first part of the Storyteller quest they had about a 2 and a half years ago was the back story of HW Kathy

Offline allos

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 10:11:45 PM »
Very nice. Addition to the biolabs would be cursed spirit quest I believe spirits of dead people hate the living and stuff like that.

I find this thread very intriguing as I'm doing a fic that involves RO lore specifically.

Kiel quest is also kickass with its dept and romance.

Exciting, the rivalry of the trio (Shwartzvald, Arunafeltz, Rune-Midgard) in politics and just about everything is one of the most confusing, if not also the most intriguing of the RO lore. It's depth is really fascinating and I would love to do all of them if possible. But I got little time to do all quests right now, and some quests need to have a party to complete and people are scarce to party with in my server so :(

Sealed shrine also pose some interesting lore about Bapho

Looking forward to your coming posts. Bookmarked :D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:16:06 PM by allos »

Offline Ying Hua

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
EDIT: Pictures coming.

Anyways, let’s get back to the Heart of Ymir, since the thing pretty much drives your storyline anyways. Note that you use the Heart underneath Yuno (the complete, and presumably, the original piece) to transcend. But you know, the RKB probably uses it for other things.

In the second part of the President quest, you will recall the mercenary rebellion, in which the mechanized inventions totally replaced them, and thus, having no choice, the mercenaries initiated what would ultimately become a failed rebellion. One thing we should, perhaps, pay attention to is the description of the machinery. We know they’re powered by the fragments of the Heart of Ymir. We know they’re made out of metal, being tireless, emotionless, and immune to pain, and once there is some sort of a mechanistic error, the machine as a whole will go berserk.

Attentive players may notice that this is the exact description of the monsters in the Juperos ruins.

So, we know that the Juperos mobs are related, somehow, to the RKB. However! It doesn’t stop there, as in-game evidence proves that Juperos was long there before the RKB is around. From here, though, we could figure out something else. Wander around on the first floor of biolabs, or even the first floor of the RKB headquarters. What do you see?

Guardians. Tons and tons of them. Same guardians you find in Thor volcano and the SE castles. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that the RKB is somehow behind their development, no?

It’s not a stretch. In fact, take a close look inside the second floor of Thor. Those are either rock patterns, or they’re upside-down versions of the emblems of the Republic, from Einbroch. If I had more health on my Pally, I would have been able to get to another spot which is more obvious, but for now, you’ll have to be content with these.

(Custom aura/colored sprite. omg i r spirte hax grf no ban plz)

Either way, we know that the technological level of Rachel is pretty much fail, compared to everywhere else. There is no way Veins or even Rachel could have developed these weapons on their own. Whether or not Rachel is stockpiling mecha in order to declare war on Rune-Midgard isn’t what we’re concerned with (for now), but for now, we’re pretty damn sure that those stupid things that oneshot us all the time in Thor is created by RKB.

So far, we’ve seen artificial life-forms, biological enhancements, and mechanical units. Does this give you an idea of how the RKB runs their business? It is entirely chilling – no matter from which direction, the RKB is directly trying to surpass life itself, which is … rather contrary to what the rest of Rune-Midgard believes in, which is a delightful blend of Judeo-Christian values and Norse mythological traditions.

Thus, we head over to Hugel. Peaceful little place, eh? Except, for you know, Odin’s temple, the last of the mercenaries, Schuwell, and a lot of hints at to what the Rachel church and the RKB is up to. We know that the Heart of Ymir is once again involved, and something about reviving an ancient race…

Ignoring everything else, I wonder if anyone else has noticed certain details in Odin. For a ruined temple, why is everything unusually intact? Even the broken status have whole hands, whole heads, and fresh cuts – no signs of erosion, no nothing.

For that matter, where is … Odin? You know, the wide-helmed, dude with an eyepatch we see in Rune-Midgard. Why in the world is this called Odin’s Temple?

The answer, to me, seems to lie in the Valkyrie Randgris. It is strongly suggested in the Odin Excavation quest that she is sent down directly by Odin. The temple is destroyed, at Odin’s orders, to warn the residents of Rune-Midgard that they’re pushing the natural limits. Mankind will not surpass the divine, and should not attempt to do so – just like Thanatos Tower, which appeared almost overnight.

Speaking of Thanatos Tower, we find out inside the tower that the whole place itself is arguably an alteration of reality. What we know is that – there are many legends associated with it. According to the church, the Gods built the tower in one day to demonstrate their strength to humanity. According to other legends, it is a fortress built by demons as they tried to invade Rune-Midgard (this stretches all the way back to Geffenia, by the way), and after their defeat, the tower ceased to be functional. Whatever the case, the RKB stopped excavating after a series of accidents, and so far, they’ve only managed to head up to the third floor.

It is interesting to note that there are no records of the Thanatos tower in Yuno’s libraries, either. This is an explicit point that is noted in the official lore. It seems that either the Yuno sages didn’t know anything, or something may have intentionally removed them.

The commonly accepted story, as revealed by talking to NPCs in town, is that the legendary champion, Thanatos fought Satan Morroc for ten days and nights, as a colleague of mine has pointed out, and that the divine commemorated the event by building Thanatos Tower. Thanatos himself presumably perished after the event, and disappeared into history. Over time, history became myth, and myth became legend.

Note the word I used is presumably, because it is never explicitly stated that he dies, at least in the cRO version. Instead, the players discover what happened to humanity’s finest champion inside the Thanatos tower.

We get a bit of information from reading Balmont’s notes. On page 6, we see a bunch of scribbles – and a lot of incoherent ramble. Something about the powerful sensation of magic and something from Thanatos himself. This is again, in present tense…

Well, screw him and his notes.

Let us look at the mobs that appear in the tower itself. Ignoring the mutated junk (Deathwords and elders and whatnots), the true inhabitants are Solace, Observation (Sentinel), Shelter, and Retribution. This is evident in the fact that as the floors increase, the deathswords, mimics, and other smaller things stopped appearing. Instead, the only things left are the angels.

… Along with their counterparts, Dolor (Sadness), Odium (Hatred), Maero (Sorrow), and Despero (Despair). Not only are these four attributes key aspects of Freud’s “death drive,” (Thanatos), but something about the naming looks familiar, doesn’t it?

You’re right. It does. In fact, here’s a clue. The translation is slightly botched, and I believe in this case the cRO/jRO translations from kRO directly makes more sense than their English ones. Shelter is more aptly translated to “One at rightful rest.” Observation translates to “One keeping diligent watch.” Retribution translates to “One carrying out divine justice,” and Solace to “One who brings recognition,” though more aptly to “one who replenishes,” or “one who refills.”

As the player advance further into the tower, they realize that with each mechanism, it is almost as if they are reliving Thanatos’ past. Without a party, and my old guild disbanded, I am unable to re-enter the Tower. What I can remember, however, is the ninth floor. We were bugged at that floor, and I remember the text quite vividly because it was both badass and pertinent to the plot.

Approximated from cRO. If anyone has the English one, I’d love to see it.

-        The Demon King… only he remains -
  -        Come! This is the last time! –
  *crack*
  You hear the mechanism turning
  -        Indeed! This is … the last time … -

And also, note that this is “someone’s memory directly injected into your mind.” This is taken from an English fansite, but the text below I'm sure is 100% accurate.

-        This battle will determine the fate of mankind -
  -        We must defeat Satan Morroc. There is no alternative. Who’s with me? -
  -        *Cough cough* the demon … is too strong! We c-can’t… -
  -        Foolish, weakling humans. You should have known better –
  -        AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! H-HOW DARE YOU HUMANS. -
  -        HOW DARE YOU?!-
  -        …. -
  -        …… -
  -        …… -

“The images faded from your mind as quickly as they appeared. What could have happened in the past?”

Memories only belong to the living or spiritual. It is no accident that you got the memory.

Once you get to the top floor, though, look at what you have to do. You have to put the memory fragments back, fighting the mobs again, and then … conjuring the “Memory of Thanatos.”

Why is it called the Memory of Thanatos? Why not “Thanatos?” Herein lies the reason. Once again, Gravity gives us clues in the form of drops. In particular, the Cursed Seals. As powerful as Thanatos is, it is impossible that he could have remained unaffected by Satan Morroc. My interpretation is that sealing Morroc away did not cost his life – but rather, his very existence. As we learn from side materials in some of the Morroc quests, it is necessary for the individual to be living in order for the seal to persist. Those cursed seal things? Representative of the actual seal on Satan Morroc.

Wait, Thanatos is still alive?

At least, that’s my interpretation. I’m getting to it. And yes, Thanatos is alive. Those angels you see? They are his allies in the physical sense, and also the personification of his ideals, dreams, and hopes in the spiritual sense. In order to keep Satan Morroc in check, he locked himself away at the top of his tower, perhaps casting some sort of a magic veil so that he will not be disturbed. Thanatos is human, too, and suffers through all the things we humans do – including some random chick named Lucil which he seems to be attracted to. But, that’s a different story. Sufficient to say we know Thanatos kept the seal going for at least a few hundred years.

But living in solitude is a maddening experience. And sealing away the greatest evil in the world isn’t the easiest task, either. As we know, Satan Morroc has many methods of influence. As the curse slowly ate away at Thanatos, all of his emotions changed. The rightful rest he should have earned he cannot have, because he needs to keep Morroc in check. Keeping watch for an eternity is a thankless job, with no one to remember what he did. Slowly, and slowly, hope became despair. Solace became restlessness, and then sadness. Peace became rage, joy became hatred. Waiting for the "thank you" that will never come...

The rest, you could piece together. The only other evidence I have to present are the lines Thanatos utter when he is defeated.

“…Thank you. It is over.”

And then, as you’re warped out, if you’re the first guild on the server that did this, you get …

*“…No… it is not over…I must return …”

*This is what I believe to be the case. Subsequent parties on cRO did not get this line, but my guild had screenshots of this because they thought it was extremely badass.

Contradictory? Here’s my take on the whole thing. This is almost entirely due to speculation, but nonetheless, may be useful.

-        Thanatos Tower, like the Odin Temple, is something that is either raised by the Gods in warning, unveiled by the Gods in warning, or, because the RKB is screwing around, managed to get the thing to surface.
  -        Thanatos himself is still alive, but locked in that semi-living state as a memory.
  -        All of the angels and stuff? Those are the “good guys.” The memories of Thanatos are corrupted versions of his feelings, just like the Memory is a shadow of himself.
  -        Fragment and pieces you collect allows you to coalescence all the fragments of Thanatos together, giving him his identity back.

Note that part of the tower collapses after you defeat Thanatos. Which may suggest a few things. In particular, the top level cannot be accessed. Suggesting that perhaps, we have finally given the swordman the rest he deserves. Or ... we actually screwed our own world over by destroying one of the few things keeping cthulu-wannabe in check.

[FONT="]o   [/FONT]The tower itself is constructed and powered from Thanatos’ memories, and by defeating his memories and giving him peace, you’ve not only killed Thanatos and sent him off to Valhalla, but also broke one of the few things that’s still keeping Morroc in check. This interpretation explains both of the lines he utter. The first line is thanks, and the second is abject horror as he realizes that he can no longer keep Satan morroc sealed.
             [FONT="]o   [/FONT]Or: the seal is persistent, Thanatos is already dead, has been dead, and it’s just that Thanatos is trapped in a maddening experience, and you’ve freed him from his torment. This particular interpretation explains the first line in a similar fashion, but interprets the second one as a wistful comment, that since Thanatos died all these years ago there is no one else to fight Morroc. After all, it is mentioned in the tower that the success chance for an entire guild of Assassin Crosses is less than one percent…

Either way, I really want to read some sort of fiction piece - perhaps I'll even write it myself or something. :P

Wow, that was a long detour. Either way, if I haven’t convinced you that RO has a decent story yet, I should probably try harder next time. Rachel's coming next. And hooboy, there is a LOT to say about that place...
  [FONT="]

[/FONT]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:53:31 PM by Ying Hua »

Offline TwilightsCall

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »
Quote from: Hikari;742968
I don't know if there's a record of it anywhere other than maybe somewhere in the game client or if it was official, but the first part of the Storyteller quest they had about a 2 and a half years ago was the back story of HW Kathy

Gotta be careful though, since the storyteller event was all written by players!

Cenia is referenced in one of the really, really, really obscure side quests. I'm sure that Cenia and Seyren are not related, as Seyren does appear in the belt quest. But it'd be interesting if that's true, though.

A quick check showed that there was an NPC named Egnigem in the Megingjard quest, however it was male, so that's probably just a coincidence.  Havn't heard of any quests in which the female version appear, so if its out there I'd love to hear which quest it was!

A lot of dungeons also have interesting things which I feel can be expanded upon. And the lore of monsters have always interested me. What exactly is a skeggiold, anyway? A venatu? A sword guardian?

Ying covered most of them, but I'll just add that the name Skeggiold (or Skeggöld or Skeggjöld) is a name of a Valkyrie in Norse Mythology, as are Randgris, Skogul, Brynhild, Sigrun, and I assume Frus though I can't find a reference for that one.  As for what the in-game Skeggiold's represent...maybe super angelings?  I'll try and do the excavation quest to see if there's any more info regarding them, but for now I assume they are just a generic monster sent by Odin to 'defend' his temple.

Offline Ying Hua

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »
                                                                  Very nice. Addition to the biolabs would be cursed spirit  quest I believe spirits of dead people hate the living and stuff like  that.
In the fanfiction I'm working on, the biolabs mobs are like... angryzombiespiritlivingnotlivingthings that got infected by the virus. The only reason why I don't buy into the cursed spirit thing is that as we see from Abbey and Nameless, the actual cursed spirits are very different from the mobs in Bio 3. :P

A quick check showed that there was an NPC named Egnigem in the  Megingjard quest, however it was male, so that's probably just a  coincidence.  Havn't heard of any quests in which the female version  appear, so if its out there I'd love to hear which quest it was!

I'll get back and look. I swear she shows up somewhere as "Cenia" or "Senia," since it took me a while to figure out that Cecil/Shecil are the same person.

Ying covered most of them, but I'll just add that the name Skeggiold (or  Skeggöld or Skeggjöld) is a name of a Valkyrie in Norse Mythology, as  are Randgris, Skogul, Brynhild, Sigrun, and I assume Frus though I can't  find a reference for that one.  As for what the in-game Skeggiold's  represent...maybe super angelings?  I'll try and do the excavation quest  to see if there's any more info regarding them, but for now I assume  they are just a generic monster sent by Odin to 'defend' his temple.
Randgris means shield-destroyer, if my memory from my mythology classes serves. And see my recent post. We do find out from the Excavation quest that Odin sent her down as a can of kickass.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:35:02 PM by Ying Hua »

Offline Toledo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »
Doesn't some Somatology quest begin with getting a message "I... despise the living"? (or something like that). I'm pretty sure most biolab monsters are supposed to be vengeful spirits of people who died in the experiments. As for why they keep to the labs, well most ghosts tend to do that.

And what about Gemini?

Quote from: Steax;742891
What exactly is a skeggiold, anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_valkyrie_names_in_Norse_mythology

Skogul is also there. As for why they made valkyries into jumping hexagons and emo girls, don't ask me.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:33:13 PM by Toledo »

Offline Ying Hua

• View Profile
Re: (Lore): The Rekenber corporation, Biolabs, Thanatos Tower
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:21 PM »
Doesn't some Somatology quest begin with getting a message "I... despise  the living"? (or something like that). I'm pretty sure most biolab  monsters are supposed to be vengeful spirits of people who died in the  experiments. As for why they keep to the labs, well most ghosts tend to  do that.
See, here's the weird thing. On cRO, that line is "I ... hate ... life," or, to keep syntax, "I ... despise... living..."

No the. Which carries totally different connotations. Though, for fanfiction purposes, I think either one works great! Would you mind if I compiled your ideas and put them up as a separate thread of interpretation of the biolabs on that initial post?

And what about Gemini?
No idea. Something gravity made to screw with fangirls like me, I think.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:37:15 PM by Ying Hua »

Offline Wosungree

• View Profile
    • http://jinx.me
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »
Excellent writing =)

Offline allos

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
Either interpretation is ok. But one thing is for certain, RKB is toying around with life that is no longer in the bound of morals.

Gemini might be some experiment into fusing people together? For super powered soldiers! :P And another interesting note to ponder on: Geminis drop "Philosopher's Stones" something around the realm of magically to highly scientific that makes Homunculus (artificial life) evolve.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:55:27 PM by allos »

Offline Ying Hua

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:53 PM »
Have I successfully convinced everyone that the RKB is a terrible terrible company yet? :)

Quote from: allos;743015
Either interpretation is ok. But one thing is for certain, RKB is toying around with life that is no longer in the bound of morals.

Gemini might be some experiment into fusing people together? For super powered soldiers! :P And another interesting note to ponder on: Geminis drop "Philosopher's Stones" something around the realm of magically to highly scientific that makes Homunculus (artificial life) evolve.

Don't get me started on Homunculii.

Nice observation. Some other super-soldier program gone horribly wrong. At this rate, it'll only be a matter of time before we get a Captain Lighthalzen showing up.

With that being said, anyone thought the Gemini might be a rogue? Or some sort of a robot, perhaps?

Offline TwilightsCall

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 11:04:11 PM »
Wow, you snuck that epic post in while I was writing mine! Lets see what I can come up with regarding that:

@Thors pictures: If you look closely, especially at the second pic, it appears almost as if the picture is depicting some sort of demon or devil, rather then the Schwartzwald emblem. To me, it appears more like a possible reference to Ifrit then anything else, though I guess it could be stretched to say its a reference to Thor.

As far as the link between Thors Volcano and Rekenber, I'm sure I'd know better if I did the quest, but the feeling I get from reading over the Thors Base Quest is that there is a military base (affiliated with Arunafeltz obviously) that operates within the Volcano, hence the presence of Guardians. Since the Rekenber Job Quest clearly shows that Rekenber builds, and distributes, Guardians such as the ones used in War of Emperium, as you said I don't think its a stretch at all that Rekenber is involved with the Guardians there.

@ Odins Temple: As far as I've been told, the story behind the temple is that humans built it however many hundreds of years ago to worship Odin, but Odin didn't have the same love for them that the people had for him. So after a cruel and oppressive rule, the populace of the temple either left or died, so the only thing remaining there are the Guardians Odin had placed there, being the Skogul, Frus, and Skeggiolds. Occasionally, Valkyrie's from Valhalla are also dispatched to defend the temple from intruders, one of which being Randgris.

@Thanatos Tower: I don't remember which quest it was, but I seem to remember one quest mentioning that it was the ancestors of the prontera royal family that sealed Morroc, so I would tend toward the argument that Thanatos himself, whether he died during the battle with Morroc or afterwards, is dead now. As the MVP itself is named either 'Memory of Thanatos' or 'Thanatos Phantom' depending on your server, the game seems to be hinting at the fact that what you're fighting isn't Thanatos himself, but a shadow of Thanatos, or a specter that resembles what he used to be. To put it into an analogy, The Memory of Thanatos would be on the same level as the Incarnations of Morroc in dimensional gorge, in that they are a manifestation of Morroc's Power, but not Morroc himself. Explaining it like that also helps to explain why the Thanatos MVP is so much weaker then the Morroc MVP, though I realize thats more game mechanics then story, so it doesn't really play as evidence :P (Alternatively, we could assume Thanatos wasn't alone in his effort against Satan Morroc, which would make the analogy into Morroc = Thanatos, Incarnations = Dolor/Maero/Despero/Odium)

The Dandelion quest tells you that Thanatos Tower was a place where Monsters came from after Satan Morroc invaded, so it seems more then likely that the Tower was built before Thanatos and Morroc fought. This kind of detracts from the theory that the Tower was used to help seal Morroc, but gives rise to another theory that the secret the Tower is hiding relates to Satan Morroc, or if I can stretch the theory a little bit, in how Satan Morroc summoned his minions into Midgard. It would then make sense as to why the Angels appeared to defend the tower, as clearly morals aren't something that would stand in Rekenber's way, so it would be more then likely they would abuse such a power, whether it resulted in their profit or loss was irrelevant. It might even be considered that if Rekenber had managed to completely reconstruct Thanatos Tower, it would act as a portal again, which would also explain why there needed to be Divine Intervention. Though thats speculating quite a bit off the evidence I have at hand.

To explain why the Memory of Thanatos is in the tower, I imagine that after Thanatos died (and presumably was sent to Valhalla), he left behind a remnant of himself to prevent the secrets of the Tower from ever being discovered. I also wouldn't consider it unreasonable for the Phantom to have been summoned by the same entity responsible for dispatching the Angels, giving the summoned guardian similar characteristics to Thanatos but not actually calling Thanatos himself. Then again, there's nothing to say Thanatos himself COULDN'T have been summoned, so there's that possibility as well!

I've never heard the story that the tower collapses after you defeat Thanatos, but I guess thats a difficult thing to express in an MMO :P

(PS If it feels like I'm trying to steal your thunder I apologize, I just love this stuff xD)

EDIT: I also had a bit of a different take on the Somatology Laboratory, but that can wait til its not 2 AM lol.  But like Toledo said, it gets its base from the Cursed Spirit Quest, rather then from some overly large accident occuring.  But I need to stop typing before I write out the whole thing, so I'll share tomorrow if people are interested in an alternate opinion lol.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:10:34 PM by TwilightsCall »

Offline Ying Hua

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 11:53:49 PM »

Don't worry, no EXP was lost. That's why I thought it looked like the emblem - in addition, that little thingie in the center looks like the emblem, flipped upside down.

And stealing my thunder? Hardly. If everyone in RO started to do what I'm doing, then this game'd be a lot funner for everyone! Just remember, there is no "right" answer. We can only draw conclusions based on what we're given.

As far as the link between Thors Volcano and Rekenber, I'm sure I'd know  better if I did the quest, but the feeling I get from reading over the  Thors Base Quest is that there is a military base (affiliated with  Arunafeltz obviously) that operates within the Volcano, hence the  presence of Guardians. Since the Rekenber Job Quest clearly shows that  Rekenber builds, and distributes, Guardians such as the ones used in War  of Emperium, as you said I don't think its a stretch at all that  Rekenber is involved with the Guardians there.
Exactly. If the Volcano is so sacred, why are they in there in the first place? I mean, we find littered boxes and other things all over the place. My guess is that the guardians are brought there to excavate whatever it is the RKB wanted, and as usual, large MVP awakens, gets pissed, and nukes everything, RKB flees and ditches everything else, leaving us (the players) to clean up their messes.

Which brings the second question. What kind of bastards make things that can oneshot a level 99 Pally?

@ Odins Temple: As far as I've been told, the story behind the temple is  that humans built it however many hundreds of years ago to worship  Odin, but Odin didn't have the same love for them that the people had  for him. So after a cruel and oppressive rule, the populace of the  temple either left or died, so the only thing remaining there are the  Guardians Odin had placed there, being the Skogul, Frus, and Skeggiolds.  Occasionally, Valkyrie's from Valhalla are also dispatched to defend  the temple from intruders, one of which being Randgris.

Except, in cRO's storyline, Odin's actually one of the "good guys." It'd be interesting to see what the English versions of the story is, though, given that we're looking at two perspectives. The bit I gave in my writing is what I cobbled together using the in-game text, so it's not so much speculation as much as it is grounded in something.

@Thanatos Tower: I don't remember which quest it was, but I seem to  remember one quest mentioning that it was the ancestors of the prontera  royal family that sealed Morroc, so I would tend toward the argument  that Thanatos himself, whether he died during the battle with Morroc or  afterwards, is dead now. As the MVP itself is named either 'Memory of  Thanatos' or 'Thanatos Phantom' depending on your server, the game seems  to be hinting at the fact that what you're fighting isn't Thanatos  himself, but a shadow of Thanatos, or a specter that resembles what he  used to be. To put it into an analogy, The Memory of Thanatos would be  on the same level as the Incarnations of Morroc in dimensional gorge, in  that they are a manifestation of Morroc's Power, but not Morroc  himself. Explaining it like that also helps to explain why the Thanatos  MVP is so much weaker then the Morroc MVP, though I realize thats more  game mechanics then story, so it doesn't really play as evidence :P  (Alternatively, we could assume Thanatos wasn't alone in his effort  against Satan Morroc, which would make the analogy into Morroc =  Thanatos, Incarnations = Dolor/Maero/Despero/Odium)
Thanatos wasn't alone, if you look at the text dialogue in the tower itself. However, we're pretty certain he is the one who struck the mortal blow/is the main player of the bunch. He was probably an Assassin Cross, given the references to the Assassin's guild.

Incarnations of Morroc has less of a direct correlation with the four attributes given in Thanatos, though, especially since the four listed are explicitly references to Sigmund Freud's psychoanalysis theory. That point, I think, cannot be accidental.

King Tristan is a totally different thing, and if we take Thanatos' lore, it makes more sense for Thanatos to have done it, and then having the location be Morroc. I'll address Morroc in a later post.

The Dandelion quest tells you that Thanatos Tower was a place where  Monsters came from after Satan Morroc invaded, so it seems more then  likely that the Tower was built before Thanatos and Morroc fought. This  kind of detracts from the theory that the Tower was used to help seal  Morroc, but gives rise to another theory that the secret the Tower is  hiding relates to Satan Morroc, or if I can stretch the theory a little  bit, in how Satan Morroc summoned his minions into Midgard.
This would fit with the second theory, which is given in the official materials. I.E. Thanatos Tower was originally used as a base for Morroc's invasion, but was later on (persumably taken by Thanatos?) transformed into something else.

It would then make sense as to why the Angels appeared to defend the  tower, as clearly morals aren't something that would stand in Rekenber's  way, so it would be more then likely they would abuse such a power,  whether it resulted in their profit or loss was irrelevant. It might  even be considered that if Rekenber had managed to completely  reconstruct Thanatos Tower, it would act as a portal again, which would  also explain why there needed to be Divine Intervention. Though thats  speculating quite a bit off the evidence I have at hand.
It doesn't have to be a portal, right? Thanatos, for all we know, could have had a lot of other stuff. Hell, if we knew why the Rekenber corporation was there in the first place, I wouldn't be writing this in the first place.

In terms of Thanatos' presence... I'm a hopeless romantic at heart, which is why my interpretation is, ultimately, one in which the tragic hero is redeemed by the players.

To explain why the Memory of Thanatos is in the tower, I imagine that  after Thanatos died (and presumably was sent to Valhalla), he left  behind a remnant of himself to prevent the secrets of the Tower from  ever being discovered. I also wouldn't consider it unreasonable for the  Phantom to have been summoned by the same entity responsible for  dispatching the Angels, giving the summoned guardian similar  characteristics to Thanatos but not actually calling Thanatos himself.  Then again, there's nothing to say Thanatos himself COULDN'T have been  summoned, so there's that possibility as well!
This idea is good, but makes things more complicated. What is the tower hiding? Who summoned the guardians? Why Thanatos? Etc, etc, all of which are open to speculation. It's more fuel for the fires, that's for sure.

The thing is (I take it you haven't actually been up to Thanatos Tower and fought to boss, have you?) is that the "power" is unlocked, and not summoned. In other words, whatever's on top of the tower is quite literally reconstructed from the player's efforts, instead of an entity waiting to warp in to await the player's challenge like say, Baphomet.

I've never heard the story that the tower collapses after you defeat  Thanatos, but I guess thats a difficult thing to express in an MMO :P
Oh, uh, the top floor collapses as the rest of the tower sinks into the ground. You get it as a description when you try to go into the glowing portal again. So, from a lore perspective, yeah, the tower does sink into the ground and disappears, which to me seems to suggest that the tower itself is directly linked to Thanatos.

EDIT: In regards to the cursed spirit quest: I just read that, and I don't ever recall seeing that on cRO. That's a pretty cool story, and what's better is that it doesn't really run contrary to my proposal either. Either way, it just makes the Bio stuff much more intriguing. :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:58:09 PM by Ying Hua »

Offline nixs

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 02:09:39 AM »
Awsm.

Let's go back in time and talk about the old dungeons~:slur:

payon cave, sphinx, pyramid, byalan, geffen tower, glast heim, ant hell, comodo caves, turtle island, sunken ship, lou yang cave, amatsu dungeon, nameless island, niffelheim, xmas dungeon, and einbroch mines. :no1:

oh and tell me about the MvP lore. im pretty sure they're there for a reason.... :hmm:
Rimi Forte