Author Topic: Final Fantasy 9 Is The Best Final Fantasy Game  (Read 35648 times)

Offline Jayed

• Tirades' Princess
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 9
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 09:42:53 AM »
I bought FF12 a few weeks ago with the intent of hooking my PS2 back up and trying it but I keep procrastinating on it

Offline Boni

• heimdol pls :(
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »
FF6 has the very best story and characters, as well as a SHITLOAD of stuff to do. The quests to get additional information on your characters' background and past lives is fucking amazing. The only bad thing I can think of is that the bosses are far too weak and most of the time you find yourself avoiding random encounters and only fight boss battles(which are probably easier than the normal battles). FF6 is still the best video game of all time.

FF5's story isn't much worse than that of FF6. The characters are good, although you're only given 5 of them. The job system is great but too spread out and you'll have to spend ages leveling shitty jobs to improve your characters' fighting abilities. Some good music(Clash on the Big Bridge, anyone?) and plenty of stuff to do, easily the second best Final Fantasy.

FF7, although overrated, is full of awesome. Slightly better than FF9 mostly because of a better story and multiple strong bosses you can fight. Too bad the final bosses are completely pussies you can defeat without a single materia equipped.

FF9 has plenty of good stuff. Awesome music, cool characters, lots of extra stuff, decent story, and last but not least; the moogles. Fuck yeah.

FF4 and 8 are horrible shit. What the fuck is up with 8 anyway? The story makes so little sense it hurts. Squall dies at the end of disc 1 and the last 3 discs are nothing but going through stupid shit inside of his mind. True story. Oh and Final Fantasies after FF9 don't exist. :monocle:
BNC :^)

iRO Classic

breeg - bowless rogue
Boni -  knight

le fu :monocle:

:p

Offline Acolyte

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
I personally think FF9 has a fantastic storyline. It just didn't end right lol. Like FF6, it also went through the entire background of every character.

FF9 is suppose to be a game where it went back to it's roots. And the creators used FF6 as a reference. If you play through FF9, you'll see how similar the 2 games are. (Ability training, trancing, class system, plays, etc).

And yes, ff9 is the only game where I found Moogles to not be so awkward. RALLY-HO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Pantsu

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
The trance system in FF9 is pretty weak though. It's so hard to manage your trance meters so they actually go off in meaningful battles. Though only Quina, Vivi, Eiko's, and Zidane's (when you are facing multiple foes) trances are useful once you are decently into the game anyway.
You can call me Brian Boitano.

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 01:21:32 PM »
Most FF stories (and I mean the baseline plot) are pretty much the same. You have a main character who falls in love with the damsel in distress who is somehow tied with saving the world (of course a couple of FFs skip the romance part and just goes straight to saving the world).

Of all the battle systems, I liked FF12 the best just because it has a unique edge to it. The gambit system, though not perfect, was quite amazing to play around with. Of course I mostly manually control all my characters for making important decisions and just rely on the gambit for when there's no need to do anything important. With that said, I'm quite surprised that they didn't use the gambit system for FF13. I'm sorry but, FF13 has the most retarded AI and that FF12's gambit system would definitely outplay FF13's AI.
Marvel Heroes | Neverwinter | Guild Wars 2 | iRO | Origin
kfmc | Kevs@kfmc on Mindflayer | Kevs.1679 on Sea of Sorrows | ropd | kfmc

Offline Acolyte

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 01:28:52 PM »
Quote from: Prodigy;905315
Most FF stories (and I mean the baseline plot) are pretty much the same. You have a main character who falls in love with the damsel in distress who is somehow tied with saving the world (of course a couple of FFs skip the romance part and just goes straight to saving the world).

Of all the battle systems, I liked FF12 the best just because it has a unique edge to it. The gambit system, though not perfect, was quite amazing to play around with. Of course I mostly manually control all my characters for making important decisions and just rely on the gambit for when there's no need to do anything important. With that said, I'm quite surprised that they didn't use the gambit system for FF13. I'm sorry but, FF13 has the most retarded AI and that FF12's gambit system would definitely outplay FF13's AI.

That's the story if you only look at is as a whole. The reason the story is great is because of the details you get when you play through the game.

And I still can't see why people thought FF12 was good. If it makes me cringe when I watch cutscene or fall asleep during my playthrough, I find the game to be pretty bad.

Final Fantasy 12 in a nutshell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyfGm6wXgs

Quote from: Pantsu;905301
The trance system in FF9 is pretty weak though.  It's so hard to manage your trance meters so they actually go off in  meaningful battles. Though only Quina, Vivi, Eiko's, and Zidane's (when  you are facing multiple foes) trances are useful once you are decently  into the game anyway.

Quina's ult is pretty bad in my opinion. Once you learn all the blue  magic, you won't need it anymore lol. Plus, Matra Magic makes eating  easier. Eiko's is okay too, but my guys already hit for 9999 with their  skills and auto-regen/auto-haste maste things easy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:29:17 PM by Acolyte »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Pantsu

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Well, it's useful for getting all the blue magic. Matra Magic misses way too often for me really. Eiko can double holy in trance, which is useful. But yeah, most chars should have an auto 9999 attack anyway without trance. Hence why I said Ozma is too easy (only like 50kish hp?).

I don't see how that video is FF12 in a nutshell. Kind of a silly meme, yes. And how does repeatedly selecting a command any less sleep inducing than running around and killing monsters? The only parts of the game I don't like are that Vaan is a stupid choice to have as the main character overall, and that some parts of the game weren't voiced over randomly (the part in Archades with Jules).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:38:40 PM by Pantsu »
You can call me Brian Boitano.

Offline Acolyte

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »
It was difficult to play through it, just as much as watching that video lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Deis' assault

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »
I think the only thing that was wrong with the battle system in 7 was once you had a limit break, you couldn't use a normal attack... I think?

And I agree about 9's trance meters.
Quote from: Zentrani;981455
Wow and RO are bad.

Life is so much better. gg

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
Quote from: Pantsu;905330
Well, it's useful for getting all the blue magic. Matra Magic misses way too often for me really. Eiko can double holy in trance, which is useful. But yeah, most chars should have an auto 9999 attack anyway without trance. Hence why I said Ozma is too easy (only like 50kish hp?).

I don't see how that video is FF12 in a nutshell. Kind of a silly meme, yes. And how does repeatedly selecting a command any less sleep inducing than running around and killing monsters? The only parts of the game I don't like are that Vaan is a stupid choice to have as the main character overall, and that some parts of the game weren't voiced over randomly (the part in Archades with Jules).

I didn't mind this because it seemed to me the story was more about Balthier but thru Vaan's POV. and I agree, Balthier is <333333333333. god

and wth FF8 is a great plot... the 3rd disc was just .. boring for most of it (Esthar is fun though). screw all the ff8 h8rs.

whoever liked x-2... u crazy.

9, to me, was not AWESOME but it was not bad. a lot of the parts of the game I thought were pretty great (the first disc I liked a lot), but I thought overall, it was a decent game to play but I really forced myself to finish it.

I really like 4 & 6--but neither have I finished. 4, I was close, but I keep getting stuck on one boss and lost interest. 6, one of exes deleted my save point. I was not so happy after that.

Triple Triad > all other card games

Offline Acturos

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »
don't ever mention x-2

Smokie Stalker Credits go to Silbear<3

Offline Boni

• heimdol pls :(
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 11:00:42 PM »
The trance system in FF9 is nothing compared to FF6's 'limit breaks'. You'd only have a very low chance to use your character's desperation attack when your HP is disturbingly low. And that only if you chose to use a normal attack, which would be quite dumb when every character is given magics. Not to forget your normal attack could deal up to 160k damage or something.

What I find sad in FF6's story is that many of the important characters(Banon, Cid, the guy who took care of Terra in the beginning of the game, all of Returners, etc etc) in the World of Balance have either disappeared or become completely useless. You're left to guess what happened to them and whether they were even alive or not.

What happened to Kuja in FF9 btw? Zidane went back to Lifa Tree to find him(for whatever reason) and carried him out. Wasn't he going to die anyway?
BNC :^)

iRO Classic

breeg - bowless rogue
Boni -  knight

le fu :monocle:

:p

Offline Ryochan

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/yoraidragon
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 11:03:59 PM »
Quote from: Acturos;905817
don't ever mention x-2

IIIIIIIIIII LOOOOOOOOOOVED X-2 <3

but srsly I don't get why most people didn't like it. I didn't care much about the story part but the battle system and creativity had me down I mean woah. Fast active combat, switching classes int he middle of battle. Battle system required more interaction than previous FF games (I LOVED TRIGGER HAPPY!!!) Graphics were great and diverse. Man overall i loved it, and it had good replayability in my eyes. The 100 cloisters were frustrating but bosses were maaaad fun.

and I dunno why ppl say FF7 is overrated. FF7 is the only FF game I found to be on my toes with excitement from beginning to the mother freakin end! Not to mention the oh so beautiful martial artist Tifa ;). I love MA so that made me like the game even more for some reason. Knights of round etc were epic win, and the original root for awesome summon scenes in a FF game.
iRO - Retired
Ryochan - Assassin Cross
Ryochizan - Alchemist
Shin Ryo - Monk

Rick James: "Cocain Tree Of Savior is a hell of a drug." *giggles*

Offline Acolyte

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
People only like FF7 because of 3 things: omnislash, blonde hair, emo main character.

FFX-2 was terrrrrrrible. Acting was awkward, cutscenes were weird to watch. The gameplay wasn't bad, but people played FFX-2 for the story of Yuna and Tidus. They gave us some other shit which was just as bad.
Spoiler: show

In FF9, Kuja ended up dying at the end, and so does vivi :>
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:07:15 PM by Acolyte »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Ryochan

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/yoraidragon
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
Quote from: Acolyte;905878
People only like FF7 because of 3 things: omnislash, blonde hair, emo main character.

what? eew
iRO - Retired
Ryochan - Assassin Cross
Ryochizan - Alchemist
Shin Ryo - Monk

Rick James: "Cocain Tree Of Savior is a hell of a drug." *giggles*