Author Topic: The Monk Thread - Renewal Edition  (Read 41055 times)

Offline Yevon

• View Profile
Re: The Monk Thread - Renewal Edition
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:34 AM »
What can I do about some decent alround weapon(s)?

Class:   Monk (combo)
Goal:    leveling; becoming Champ/Sura
Funds:  pretty limited; around ~100m
Gear:    probably below average :v
Stats:   high str/agi, some basic dex/int

Unfortunately I never ever played any Monk cls before, so my huge problem are the weapons. I would like to take some kind of mace (if this makes any sense at all) to share them with my Alchy/WS and because I am leveling with bs and priest.

First, I have thought to get some forged Ele Stunner but they don't have a lot more ATK compared to the Eden maces, but ofcourse can be upgraded, on the downside are pretty class limited.

So probably I will have to use a Chain, Mace or what else?
Should I use Andre cards? Rather Soldier Skeleton? Or something else entirely?

I would appreciate any kind of help and/or tipps :v I usually play Archbishops and any Archer/Mage Classes, and never had much chance to learn about melees.

Thanks in advance

Offline Barigas

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2014, 04:13:51 AM »
Use eden group weapons until you become Sura. Lvling places are Spores-Poison Spores, Orc Village, Orc dungeon, Grand Pecos, Dark Priests and finally Magmarings. Don't waste your money on anything. Eden group weapons and equips are pretty good. At champion job you can use Palm Push Strike as a lvling skill.
After you become Sura there are 2 variants either party levelling in Magma dungeon 2 up til 124lvl and then scaraba hall up til 150lvl. Or you can get a battleground mace and then solo lvlup on Kobolds up til 130lvl and then bifrost 2 on mimmings up til 150lvl. But in this case you need to use Sky Net Blow as a base skill, so youll have to skillfeset on lvl 150.

Offline Anibe

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2014, 10:43:37 AM »
150/50 sura here returning after a long time. I need an update on the class overall.

So, here is my first list of questions:

1.- Is GF not viable for WoE anymore? What about MvP?
2.- If not, what else is there besides Gates of Hell?
3.- Is carga mace still the best offensive gear for PvM?
4.- What changes have been made to the class since the implementation of Renewal?

That's for now, thanks beforehand :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IGNs: Anibe, Apofenia, Herrero Anibe

Offline Barigas

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »
1. GF with proper equipment - Brynhild armor, Bellum/KvM Claws +10 and maybe megs - is still the strongest one shot skill even against Ghostring and Deviling cards. So it is still usefull but only to kill some other very tough targets(or a good way to react after Cursed Circle on you). Against MvP it is still viable, though sura is 3rd mvp killer after Genetic and Ranger(specially with Old Glastheim update).
2. GH is the main skill for now. 4 or 10 lvl in WoE.
3. Yes.
4. Now you can have 2 roles in WoE - kill single targets with GoH, Magic Strings and like 30% hp under Devotion(otherwise it is dangerous and not effective) or get full def and perfect dodge equip(agains Exceed Break), jump into a precast and hold everyone there with Cursed Circle eatigh Ygg Berries(duration 7s, cd 10s) then using Windmill, while your guild kills everyone else. There is no way to cancel Cursed Circle except to kill the sura.
Also sura is the best MvP tank class now since Mental Strength reduces all incoming damage by 10 times and reflect gear(like Orc Lord card) works before it. So if a monster should deal you 1000 dmg and you are under MS and wearing OL card - you get only 100 damage and the moster gets 300 reflected dmg.
Total opinion - the best WoE/PvP class for killing single targets. Though you need some Blue Potions and good playing skill. Gear for GoH is not that important since the damage is like 75atk(reduceable)+your lost hp(ignores all except for ghostring card).

Offline Anibe

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
Thanks a lot man, very informative. So, knucle arrow isn't useful anymore? And I should use HP gears to increase GoH damage?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Barigas

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
KA is a very weak skill. The only advantage of it is that it is cheap and high distanced. And you are able to kill some weak target without thara card only under magic strings.
Yes. HP items like KvM armor, variant shoes, HP potion from genetist and Apple of Idun from bard.

Offline Anibe

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »
I see. So the sura page on the wiki is as outdated as I am lol. Thanks again :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline lesterblade

• The Legend
  • facebook.com/papalester
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/papalester
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »
I've just created my Sura, What's the best build for EF/HoG type Sura? Thanks for the reply :no1:

papalester
@lestertagala

Offline avehn

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2014, 02:53:52 AM »
I'm trying to make a Sura again and I'm not quite sure what to do with my leftover skill points. Should I max Heal or Angelus or should I spend it on other skills?
Planned skills: http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/sur.html?10akakHxdAhFhOrdeDksrAablcqqGAdAGAjRabdnIn1

Offline Hardc0re

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »
Quote from: avehn;1391198
I'm trying to make a Sura again and I'm not quite sure what to do with my leftover skill points. Should I max Heal or Angelus or should I spend it on other skills?
Planned skills: http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/sur.html?10akakHxdAhFhOrdeDksrAablcqqGAdAGAjRabdnIn1
Well, if you plan on using Tiger Cannon instead of GoH, a good suggestion would be PP:Reitalize maybe? Because it raises your MaxHP. I think that will then increase the damage of Tiger Cannon, right?

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
It's equally useful for both.  GoH gets bonus damage in the difference of Current versus Max HP.  Since Revitalize increases Max HP, that would increase the possible max damage.

Offline zero25811

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2014, 07:14:54 AM »
Hello
Iam looking for a good soloing PVE stat\skill build something to kill monsters and bosses with ease it doesnt matter if it sux in PVP my budget is about 30M

P.S: is it possible that the build contain Gate of hell ? if not its not necessary

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
Quote from: zero25811;1406825
Hello
Iam looking for a good soloing PVE stat\skill build something to kill monsters and bosses with ease it doesnt matter if it sux in PVP my budget is about 30M

P.S: is it possible that the build contain Gate of hell ? if not its not necessary

The actual Sura wiki page is not so bad, as with Champ and Monk.  Sura being one of the more popular classes, they keep it very accurate to various build types.

Monk will be pretty simple.  If you lack in Monk gear, the Eden will suffice, especially given you've only 30M to work with.

I'd assure you farm a good number of those Used Iron Plates for enchanting the highest grade Eden gear.

I'd go with a Combo build, unless you already have an Ifrit Mask, but if you don't Combo works.

The only skill you'll need to get as a combo, as it means any TI group will want you for it, is Mental Strength.
Acolyte to Monk 99

Acolyte Skill path
:
Heal to 3 -> Agi Up to 1 -> Divine Protection to 5 -> Blessing to 10
Heal to 6

Now it's up to you to decide if you want Agi Up to 5/6/7/8 or 10, and Heal to 6/7/10.

You'll want Ruwatch to 1 of course, and Teleport to 2.  Maybe Warp Portal to 1 or 2 (this is one reason for the AGI Up and Heal reduction).

Personally I prefer just Teleport and Warp Portal 1, but some people like having 1 map they can memorize.

In any case, you MUST have both Divine Protection to 10 and Demon Bane to 10.

So far for absolute musts:

Ruwatch 1
Teleport 2 (3)
Heal 6 (9)
Blessing 10 (19)
Demon Bane 10 (29)
Divine Protection 10 (39)
Agi Up 1 (40)

That leaves you 9 points left.

Good Base STATS by Level 30

Str 10
Agi 30
Vit 1
Int 15
Dex 27
Luck 1

Good Base STATS by Level 60 (likely level when you job change at job 50, though it will be somewhere between base 50 and 60)
Str 10
Agi 70
Vit 1
Int 20
Dex 42
Luck 1

Monk Skill path:

Iron Fists to 5 -> Summon Spirit Spheres to 5 -> Sphere Absorption to 1 -> Flee to 5 -> Raging Trifecta Blow to 5 -> Raging Quadruple Blow to 3 -> Raging Thrust to 3 -> Mental Strength to 5

Pro-tip: never pump Trifecta Blow beyond 5

Your only absolute required abilities:
Iron Fists 5
Summon Spirit Spheres 5 (10)
Sphere Absorption 1 (11)
Flee 5 (16)
Raging Trifecta Blow 5 (21)
Raging Quadruple Blow 3 (24)
Raging Thrust 3 (27)
Mental Strength 5 (32)

You have 17 skill points left.  Place them whereever you want.  More soloing?  Get Spiritual Cadence to 3 at least, and top of both Quadruple and Thrust.  I'd recommend getting Occult Impaction to 5, Root another point to 3, and that will leave you with 2 points left (best to place in Spiritual Cadence to top that off at 5).

Of course you could take the 17 and go for Asura level 4 (which isn't so great btw, and asura on a combo is...meh), or get Asura 3 and Snap, which isn't that useful on a Monk given your SP limitations make Snap a suckfest unless you have a ton of Strawberries, Grape Juice, or some other more potent SP regenerative item that can be farmed easily.

Good BASE + Job 50 Stats by level 80 (you should be at job 50 by around base 80):
Str 42+8
Agi 73+7
Vit 23+6
Int 28+2
Dex 56+4
Luck 1

At this point I'd say it's up to you.

You could rely on TI's and Mental Strength to get to 99 asap, so you can Transcend.  For that I'd recommend something like:

Str 42+8
Agi 73+7
Vit 64+6
Int 34+2
Dex 66+4
Luck 21+3

Or, if you like some soloing, and want to still boost your HP pool, still assure your Dex is 66+4, since level 90+ killing will require 80 dex to assure your combos connect 80~90% of the time.  Luck isn't necessary, but it helps with those lucky dodges, and you can settle for around 34 or 44 Vit, and dump the rest into Strength (or keep Vit at 24 and Luck at 1 and dump into Strength after hitting 66 base Dex).

However you want to do it, that should get you through Monk.

High Acolyte won't look any different, it will play out the same way.  It's when you hit Champ that you have to have a dedicated plan, and from that point if I have some extra time I'll work something out, but keep with Eden Gear until Sura, save up your money (because fewer people are hunting Carga Maces, and prices are double what they should be).

Should always plan for Sura first, then work out your Champion path to get there.  Given your limited resources, you'll probably want a basic combo-type build, with Mental Strength for TI leveling.  Same deal, but stats may look slightly different, depending on your Sura picks, and some Champion skill extras may look different as well.

So if someone else comes around to help you out for Champ->Sura, great, if not, and I have some time, I'll try to bang out something for you.  I should note the Wiki here does a damn fine job of pointing out several paths, and most of the equipment options you'd want to know.

OK...Champ and Sura.

I'll copy-pasta the following elements:

High Acolyte Skill path:
  Heal to 3 -> Agi Up to 1 -> Divine Protection to 5 -> Blessing to 10
  Heal to 6

Now it's up to you to decide if you want Agi Up to 5/6/7/8 or 10, and Heal to 6/7/10.

You'll want Ruwatch to 1 of course, and Teleport to 2.  Maybe Warp  Portal to 1 or 2 (this is one reason for the AGI Up and Heal reduction).

Personally I prefer just Teleport and Warp Portal 1, but some people like having 1 map they can memorize.

In any case, you MUST have both Divine Protection to 10 and Demon Bane to 10.

So far for absolute musts:

Ruwatch 1
  Teleport 2 (3)
  Heal 6 (9)
  Blessing 10 (19)
  Demon Bane 10 (29)
  Divine Protection 10 (39)
  Agi Up 1 (40)

That leaves you 9 points left. This time I highly recommend getting 2  points into Warp Portal, and getting Heal as high as possible.

Recommended:

Ruwatch 1
 Teleport 2 (3)
 WarpPortal 2 (5)
 Blessing 10 (15)
 Demon Bane 10 (25)
 Divine Protection 10 (35)Heal 7 (42)
 Agi Up 1 (43)

You have 6 points left over.  There are two ways of handling this.  90%  of successful Sura's get 2 more points into Warp Portal, and Pnuema.  I  HIGHLY recommend this route.  The rest go into either Agi UP or Heal.   So either you top of Heal at 10, or you get Agi UP to 4, so it's  actually useful in farming.

Heal 7 versus 10.  The baseline healing difference is about 30%.  It's  huge.  You can also get AGI Up scrolls and equipment that grant you AGI  Up beyond level 1, and even up to 10 without needing to pump the skill  up that high.  So it's usually better to get Healing to 10.  Realize  that Acolyte will be MUCH harder with Agi Up 1 versus 4, and much  slower, given your likely equipment limitations.

Heck, one thing you could do, is if you do have a free skill reset on  your Acolyte character, or you are willing to purchase a Nueralizer from  the Kafra Shop (costs about 10x more than it should), then feel free to  dump those 6 extra points into AGI Up, and reset later.  One thing to  note about resetting skills: It's often best to do so AFTER you've  capped your Job Level as a 3rd class.  The reason for this is end-game  and leveling builds tend to be very distinct for Sura.  Champ is easy as  pie though.

More in a bit.

Stats should really be based on two thought processes:  leveling and end-game.  Leveling stats are as follows.

Good Base STATS by Level 30

Str 10
  Agi 38
  Vit 1
  Int 15
  Dex 30
  Luck 1

Good Base STATS by Level 60 (likely level when you job change at job 50, though it will be somewhere between base 50 and 60)
  Str 10
  Agi 72   <<-Sura gives +8 by 44, so I prefer to reflect that
  Vit 1
  Int 17
  Dex 50
  Luck 1

Champion and Sura skills...leveling build.  This is assuming you can or are willing to get a Nueralizer, or have a free reset.

Iron Fists to 5 -> Summon Spirit Spheres to 5 -> Sphere Absorbtion  to 1 -> Flee to 5 -> Raging Trifecta Blow to 5 -> Raging  Quadruple Blow to 3 -> Raging Thrust to 3 -> Mental Strength to 3  -> Fury to 5 -> Zen to 1 -> Mental Strength to 5

This will be the core skills you currently have.  The only musts, at  least for leveling.  Asura to 5 and Snap are often "musts", but I like  to classify them as highly recommended, you'd be foolish not to, so  let's tack those in.

Core Champion Skills:
Iron Fists 5
Summon Spheres 5 (10)
Absorb Spheres 1 (11)
Fury 5 (16)
Zen 1 (17)
Flee 5 (22)
Trifecta 5 (27)
Quadruple 3 (30)
Thrust 3 (33)
Mental Strength 5 (38)
Occult Impaction 3 (41) <<-Guillotine Fist requirement
Throw Spirit Spheres 3 (44) <<-another Guillotine Fist requirement
Guillotine Fist/Asura 5 (49)
Root 2 (51) <<-Snap requirement
Spiritual Cadence 2 (53) <<-Snap Requirement
Snap 1 (54)

That leaves you 15 points to play with.  I won't give you any recommendations.  Just use them wisely.

Now the thing is, GoH is a single-strike target skill.  GoH also sucks  hard compared to Asura for overall burst damage.  Granted it doesn't  carry some of the negative elements, but overall it's not as powerful.   Just realize this.  Your GoH is great for very weak MVP's if you've  limited SP regenerative resources.  It's also one of the most  inefficient, and ineffective leveling skills in the game.  It's also a  semi-useful farming skill, being only somewhat necessary.

Of course with job level 60, that changes a bit, as you've more room to breath.  <<-I'm talking about SURA job 60...in reference to the paragraph above, as it gives you another 10 more job points so GoH or TC builds can obtain a lot more buff skills.

So let's talk about your Sura leveling build concepts, shall we?

Lightning Ride and Rampage Blaster...two very useful AoE's for  mid-leveling.  Tiger Cannon...one very useful AoE for mid-late  leveling.  Though Tiger Cannon takes a little working out to make it  truly viable.  Technically, Tiger Cannon would ROCK with both level 10  Rising Dragon and level 5 Revitalize.  You can't have it though :/   Sorry.

The only must have's for a Sura are the following:

Gentle Touch - Cure to 1
Rising Dragon to 5
Power Absorb to 1

Clearly AoE is the only real way to level, but Sura's have the benefit  of Mental Strength, so if you DON'T want to worry about a Skill Reset,  then just use Mental Strength until you have your end-game build.   Otherwise, keep reading.

Most end-game get either GT-Cure to 1, 3, or 5.  3 is sufficient for  decent healing, and beats out Heal level 10 sometime after level 115.   1  is just for the status removal (Heal 7~10 will always be better).  Or 5  so you can effective heal your way out of situations.

If you can, Rising Dragon to 10 is utterly fantastic, but unnecessary.  5  is sufficient for combo leveling with Tiger Cannon.  10 is more for a  Rampage Blaster/Lightning Ride/Knuckle Arrow build.  10 is also very  helpful for Sky Net Blow when leveling in very mobby maps.

A decent Tiger Cannon leveling build would be something like:

Dragon Combo to 3 ->Sky Net Blow to 5

Sky Net Blow will now be your main leveling tool.

Power Implantation to 1 -> Power Absorb to 1 -> GT-Cure to 3

Now you can keep yourself going almost indefinitely.  With proper timing you're almost invincible on early-mid level maps.

Cursed Circle to 1 -> WindMill to 1

Now you can handle even sticky situations, but by level 120, your ability to kill fast is starting to wane.

GT-Silence to 3 -> GT-Energy Gain to 3

Now you can kill a little faster.  These are also prerequisites to Rising Dragon

Fallen Empire to 3 -> Tiger Cannon to 5 -> Earth Shaker to 2 -> Rampage Blaster to 3 -> Rising Dragon to 5

Now you can contemplate on either getting Rising Dragon to 10 first, or  Tiger Cannon to 10 first, as at this point, job level growth slows to a  crawl.  I'd recommend Tiger Cannon first, as Rising Dragon being at  level 5 is sufficient.

That's just one solid build.  From there you can research other end-game  builds.  GoH IS useful, just not as great for PVM as I wish it were.   Though with job 60, you can get Rising Dragon to 5 and GT-Revitalize to 5  for maximum damage output, and faster regeneration.

Level 80 stats (leveling build)
Str 41
Agi 72
Vit 10
Int 29
Dex 60
Luck 27

Level 99 stats (leveling build)
Str 71
Agi 72
Vit 36
Int 27
Dex 70
Luck 27

Level 150 stats (leveling build)
Str 104
Agi 72
Vit 95
Int 57
Dex 93
Luck 42

95 VIT is clearly for Stun resistance, but if you're not concerned with  that, you can always take some points away and dump into STR and/or INT.

Level 150 stats (end-game build):

depends on what you want end-game.  If you cannot or don't want to  afford a neuralizer, then just create an end-game build based on the  given information in the Wiki page:

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Sura

The only build to stay away from for soloing is the Tank and Support, as  they're party oriented.  However, if you want to be invited more often  to ET parties, those two work well, and you can still work in a very  effective Guillotine Fist stat build.

Or you can just use a Guillotine Fist build, and just ensure you have  some Gentle Touch skills (you should given Rising Dragon and GT-Cure's  usefulness), and of course, Mental Strength.  Most Asura builds tend to  prefer decent Vitality stats.

I hope that helps.  It's not exactly what you were asking for, but  honestly, it's a little hard to really pinpoint so fantastic a  skill/stat build.  Especially with certain changes, and the insane  number of prerequisites for some Sura skills.  Just asinine  pre-requisites.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:30:57 AM by coren »

Offline zero25811

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2014, 03:50:09 AM »
Hello guys
Can anyone post a list of equipment-cards i should get as a solo lvling champion - future sura using the above tiger canon build?
Thnx in advance