Author Topic: The Sage Thread - Renewal Edition  (Read 33519 times)

Offline Clogon

• Buying Luk!
    • View Profile
The Sage Thread - Renewal Edition
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Everything about Sages, Scholars and Sorcerers can be found in here!

• Ask for help with builds
  • Post your builds
  • Ask for help with where to level
  • Post your character

Old info:
Spoiler: show
14.1 brought many changes so updated threads with applicable build advice will help much more than the old threads.

To facilitate the exchange of information and prevent needless posts, please use the a template similar to the following:

Code: [Select]
How can I improve this char?

Class: Perma Champ
Goal: Farming Instance Orc Hero for Orc Sword
Funds: Just started
Gear: Total newbie with only eden gear
Stats: High agi, average str, vit, dex

Old:
http://forums.irowiki.org/showthread.php?t=65982
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:33:29 AM by Blueness »
Ranger Skill Details UPDATED ON: November 23, 2010, did not update Warg Strike, Bite or Sensitive Nose.

My first RO char from beta!
My first marriage!

Blitzstrike, the purple haired hunter:
iRO Ygg: 150/50 Need to me more usefull!

Pros of a Ranger, Pet and Traps ignore all reduction item effects.

Choden, chaser:
iRO Ygg: 117/33 Need more equips!

Pros of a Chaser, Deadly Infect works on MVP\'s.

Offline Cherry Vanilla

• View Profile
Re: Build Help! Sage/Scholar/Sorcerer Post 14.1
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
So I would like some help on my sorcerer please :)  I am just coming back to RO, and from what I can tell, there was that rebalance thing and now 14.1 making changes, so I'm kind of lost.  

Class: Sorcerer
Goal:   Uhm...150/50, ET, mvping, mostly pve and i guess woe, but i'm more into a viable pve build since I can always just reset later if I get into woe more seriously than just running around spamming skills.
Funds: I have no idea, probably nothing but I've already got decent gear available.
Gear:   bryn, asp, occasional sleip and bris use.  Glorious Destruction staff, +11 thorn staff and +10 Skull Cap ( i think, whichever is the set with the staff) with Kathy card, ninja scroll, roboeyeslol, accessory wise if I can't get guild bris then I just use whatever i have which isnt impressive. 8)
Stats: Sorc is currently completely reset still from that reset dude that was in since I have been too worried to put stats or skills in and having to spend to fix it.

WOO

also i guess i should mention how i was leveling before.  I didnt even bother with fire pwave in scaraba, and I couldn't reliably 1 shot, so Id do pwave and killing cloud. :<  I really enjoyed killing cloud.  Neat skill and I've got plenty of gems to use as well.  I've got a linker my sorc is married to, and yeah thats it i think.  From what I've been able to read from some posts, the insignia's are neat for ET, specially the water one for drake's waterball and stuff.  KC seems good still.  Idk about the other skills.  Frankly, I'm not too interested in the summons for pwave element because it was annoying to keep up, but if it's essential for some maps or something, I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:39:13 PM by Cherry Vanilla »

Offline Booken the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:10:38 AM »
Class:    Battle Scholar/Sorcerer
Goal:    Solo, Party, Social
Funds:    Non-existant
Gear:    Stuck with Eden Gears
Stats:    High Agi, High Int, Average Dex and Luk

I've been leveling my scholar again and planning ahead.
I have no prior experience with trans skills.
My main interest is into Spell Fist and Summon Spirits.
There's two, maybe three interesting builds I looked into.

The first is the cookie-cutter battle/support hybrid. Aka, SP battery.
I've also got enough points for insignias, that looks like better and smaller land enchants to me.

The second is custom-made, and very tight on points.
I lose the whole support side to gain access to Psychic Wave.
Its a full-on offensive build that can easily destroy large mobs like a wizard. It also lose on insignias.

Third build, if the pets ain't working out, max out Psychic Wave and Insignias. Also keep a weak SP engine.
The big downside, off course, is having no control, support, or damage boost from the pets.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:15:15 AM by Booken the Blue »

Offline Mag.Mag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »
Quote from: Booken the Blue;1208893
Class:    Battle Scholar/Sorcerer
Goal:    Solo, Party, Social
Funds:    Non-existant
Gear:    Stuck with Eden Gears
Stats:    High Agi, High Int, Average Dex and Luk

I've been leveling my scholar again and planning ahead.
I have no prior experience with trans skills.
My main interest is into Spell Fist and Summon Spirits.
There's two, maybe three interesting builds I looked into.

The first is the cookie-cutter battle/support hybrid. Aka, SP battery.
I've also got enough points for insignias, that looks like better and smaller land enchants to me.

The second is custom-made, and very tight on points.
I lose the whole support side to gain access to Psychic Wave.
Its a full-on offensive build that can easily destroy large mobs like a wizard. It also lose on insignias.

Third build, if the pets ain't working out, max out Psychic Wave and Insignias. Also keep a weak SP engine.
The big downside, off course, is having no control, support, or damage boost from the pets.

Sir, this might break your soul, but I would suggest, if you are running on Eden gear, that you get rid of any idea of being a SpellFister.

First and for most. The skill is useless. Useless to the points of being a waste of any kind of grapes you harvest from your mind grapevines. I know this revelation is hurtful and you may lash out against me or whatever, but honestly, I'm saying you a world of tears by telling you this.

Secondly. Psychic Wave + Kaahi is AMAZING. You can tank and kill with these two things. I suggest you get to leveling a Soul Linker, getting married, and making it your Kaahi Slave. Everything else will pan out by itself.

On the matter of Summoning. You should get level 3 of Ventus (No questions asked), maybe level 3 of Aqua, but generally stick to level 2 on all other summons. That way, you can change the element of your Psychic Wave.
But I find out the most I used was the fire summon Agni :) damage wise. And Ventus for its effect.

Leveling wise. You have two options:

1.Continue leveling as a hindsight sage/scholar and resetting at 99/70 to become a Solo PW Sorc
Basically go 99 Int/Agi with a Soul Linker linking you (which is the fastest way to level) You would have to pay for a skill and stat reset, but it would be faster than option 2.
Account 1: Scholar
Account 2: Soul Linker

Leveling would go as such:
1-11 Training Grounds
11-20 Spores
20-30 Payon Cave 1
30-40 Orc Ladies/Warriors
40-70 (you can push it to 80) Orc Dungeon 1
70-80 Clocks
80-85 Turtle Dungeon 2
85-95 Dark Priests
95-99 Magmarings

1.Leeching

You can level your sage as hindsight the first go, but as a scholar you are going to have to leech it up. This part can get a little bit more complicated, and you need more accounts at your disposal.
Account 1: The Scholar
Account 2: Swordie Class
Account 3: 100-105 Soloer in Magma 2
Account 4: Soul linker
(Note that account 2-4 can ALL be on the same account- Separate accounts = easy)

Leveling would go as such:
1-11 Training Grounds
11-20 Spores
20-30 Payon Cave 1
30-40 Orc Ladies/Warriors
40-70 (you can push it to 80) Orc Dungeon 1
70-80 Harpies
80-85 GH Prison 2
85-99 Magma 2 Leech (At this point you would just leech yourself till 99 with the character that can solo in Magma.)

NOW TO MAKE THIS SUPER EASY. (if you have a leveling partner or many accounts you can access / run. These are NOT necessary)
**If you have access to a 150/50 Sura that can give you Revit... you'd be golden.
**An AB to support you

Now for more random tidbits you should know for Sorc.
***dex + int/2 = 265 (this gives you instant cast)
Generally we'd need 180 dex 170 int. But then again... that can be changed about depending on what you want.
Foresight is nice.
***use a Stat Calculator ad Skill Calculator. Irowiki provides both of em.

Good luck :)

Quote from: Cherry Vanilla;1208755
So I would like some help on my sorcerer please :)  I am just coming back to RO, and from what I can tell, there was that rebalance thing and now 14.1 making changes, so I'm kind of lost.  

Class: Sorcerer
Goal:   Uhm...150/50, ET, mvping, mostly pve and i guess woe, but i'm more into a viable pve build since I can always just reset later if I get into woe more seriously than just running around spamming skills.
Funds: I have no idea, probably nothing but I've already got decent gear available.
Gear:   bryn, asp, occasional sleip and bris use.  Glorious Destruction staff, +11 thorn staff and +10 Skull Cap ( i think, whichever is the set with the staff) with Kathy card, ninja scroll, roboeyeslol, accessory wise if I can't get guild bris then I just use whatever i have which isnt impressive. 8)
Stats: Sorc is currently completely reset still from that reset dude that was in since I have been too worried to put stats or skills in and having to spend to fix it.

WOO

also i guess i should mention how i was leveling before.  I didnt even bother with fire pwave in scaraba, and I couldn't reliably 1 shot, so Id do pwave and killing cloud. :<  I really enjoyed killing cloud.  Neat skill and I've got plenty of gems to use as well.  I've got a linker my sorc is married to, and yeah thats it i think.  From what I've been able to read from some posts, the insignia's are neat for ET, specially the water one for drake's waterball and stuff.  KC seems good still.  Idk about the other skills.  Frankly, I'm not too interested in the summons for pwave element because it was annoying to keep up, but if it's essential for some maps or something, I'll look into it.

Well what level are you? At 125 you can definitely one shot Scarabs and be VERY close to Instant Cast, without your gear. You should look into that map, and look into what stats you need for Instant Casting. If you want to level the fastest, that's your best bet.

Sorc's areas of levelings are kind of limited.
100-125 Magma 2 : PW Neutral
120-130 Rachel 1 : PW Neutral
130-140 Abyss 2 : PW Earth / Earth Grave
125-150 Scarabs 2 : PW Fire
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:39:28 PM by Mag.Mag »

Offline Barigas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:26:06 AM »
Quote from: Mag.Mag;1210650
***dex + int/2 = 265 (this gives you instant cast)
fixd

Offline Mag.Mag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
Really.. I was going off memory there. I'll change it.

Offline Barigas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
Quote from: Mag.Mag;1210650
Sorc's areas of levelings are kind of limited.
100-125 Magma 2 : PW Neutral
120-130 Rachel 1 : PW Neutral
130-140 Abyss 2 : PW Earth / Earth Grave
125-150 Scarabs 2 : PW Fire
From 102-120 Juperos 1 is the best place with kaahi if you have penomena card and can one shot them with neutral PW.

Offline Kenton Alkemi

• View Profile
    • http://kenton-alkemi.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
Class: Hindsight Scholar soon-to-be Sorceror
Goal: Solo PvE, Party with friends. No PvP or WoE.
Funds: I'll get the zeny if I have to
Gear: Prodigy St. Patrick's Hat (unless there's a better one), Monocle, +4 Principles of Magic, +4 Reinforced Memory Book, +4 Puente Robe of the Stix, +4 Vicious Muffler, +4 Energetic Shoes, Spell Flow Librarian Glove, Pocket Watch
Stats: 99 Int, 67 Vit, 60 Agi, 30 Dex

Current Skills: http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/sor.html?10GKanIubncokrGAaf5qA1bn95cHcY
Planned Build: http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/sor.html?10GKanIubocBkFHsqFeeaA1qAaoeA1qnqslahqaNeAancHcY

I just started playing again recently after a five year hiatus and don't know a thing about third jobs.

I DON'T want to marry a linker. I dual client a full support Priest, anyway.

I've been focusing on equipment to support Hindsight, so I got the Wizard set and tried to take advantage of other equip bonuses.

Definitely plan on getting Psychic Wave, but still on the fence about Spell Fist. Is Striking still effective even without max endows?

As for the summons... Is it better to specialize in a few, or get all of them to change the element of Psychic Wave? Will summons survive long enough to take advantage of Spirit Sympathy?

It's always bothered me that I'll never get any earth element spells. Can I get along without them at level 100+?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:06:29 PM by Kenton Alkemi »

Offline Mag.Mag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 06:50:21 AM »
Quote from: Kenton Alkemi;1212467
Class: Hindsight Scholar soon-to-be Sorceror
Goal: Solo PvE, Party with friends. No PvP or WoE.
Funds: I'll get the zeny if I have to
Gear: Prodigy St. Patrick's Hat (unless there's a better one), Monocle, +4 Principles of Magic, +4 Reinforced Memory Book, +4 Puente Robe of the Stix, +4 Vicious Muffler, +4 Energetic Shoes, Spell Flow Librarian Glove, Pocket Watch
Stats: 99 Int, 67 Vit, 60 Agi, 30 Dex

Current Skills: http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/sor.html?10GKanIubncokrGAaf5qA1bn95cHcY
Planned Build: http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/sor.html?10GKanIubocBkFHsqFeeaA1qAaoeA1qnqslahqaNeAancHcY

I just started playing again recently after a five year hiatus and don't know a thing about third jobs.
Welcome Back :) Your stats are kinda sparse for Hindsight. I would suggest max int and max agi... but since you want to be support.. vit and dex are important...
Your stats are more to your playing style.

I DON'T want to marry a linker. I dual client a full support Priest, anyway.
Why don't you want to marry a linker? Soloing is kinda difficult without it. PLUS, for hindsight you need a linker at all times. It seems silly not to consider it.

I've been focusing on equipment to support Hindsight, so I got the Wizard set and tried to take advantage of other equip bonuses.
The better your aspd the better hindsight is, correct? So in theory some of the best gear you could get (if you are purely hindsight) would be

Seal of the Continental Guard [1]
OR
Bradium Brooches [1]
The first being the better of the two. These things should have Imp and Siroma cards, naturally to make your bolts better.
Some +10 Dull Black Leather Boots would be sexy for you too.
Clementine Juice is something to invest in...

A good way to find gear is using ratemyserver.net (I know I know it's private server database) BUT it has the best gear searching feature I have ever seen. Just go into advance search and you can even define what stats, or words, and specific gear you're looking for has. NOTE. Some items are not on iro servers yet or never will be. So... make sure to double check against db.irowiki.org

Definitely plan on getting Psychic Wave, but still on the fence about Spell Fist. Is Striking still effective even without max endows?
Well, this is the info on Striking.
Striking
Variable Cast Time: 1 second
Skill re-use Delay: 2 seconds
Global Skill Delay: 1 second
CRIT increase: + (1 * Skill Level) %
Duration: 60 seconds
[{( Skill Level x 2 ) + 8 } x Target’s Weapon Level]
Caster’s learned level of Endow Blaze / Quake / Tsunami / Tornado increases the Weapon ATK increase from Striking by 5 per level

The better your endow levels, the better your striking. AND INADVERTABLY.
Another skills becomes better because of your striking becoming better.

Varetyr Spear
Fixed Cast Time: (2 - 0.2 * Skill Level) seconds
Variable Cast Time: (2 + 0.2 * Skill Level) seconds
Skill re-use Delay: 2 seconds
Global Skill Delay: 1 second
Aoe: 3x3 around target
Stun chance: (5 * Skill Level) %
Stun duration: [(Skill Level * 0.2) + 2] seconds
ATK [{( Striking Level x 50 ) + ( Varetyr Spear Skill Level x 50 )} x Caster’s Base Level / 100 ] %
+ MATK [{( Endow Tornado skill level x 50 ) + ( Caster’s INT x Varetyr Spear Skill level )} x Caster’s Base Level / 100 ] %

Therefore. You can solo Titans with VS Very very easily. It's a good way to level. Plus, on the support end, Striking helps fisters.
As for the summons... Is it better to specialize in a few, or get all of them to change the element of Psychic Wave? Will summons survive long enough to take advantage of Spirit Sympathy?
Honestly the only real good summons for woe are Ventus and Aqua. You can get level two of the summons to change your element your PW is attacking with.
It's always bothered me that I'll never get any earth element spells. Can I get along without them at level 100+?
Earth Grave is kinda an epic skill. I would suggest getting all secondary AOE element skills.
Goodluck :)

Quote from: Barigas;1211990
From 102-120 Juperos 1 is the best place with kaahi if you have penomena card and can one shot them with neutral PW.
Well in terms of simplicity, Magma 2 is a smaller map, and is easier to mob. Also, setting up your kaahi slave is easier in Magma. Teleing to the one remote spot your linker is in Juperos is annoying... it's just a matter of taste I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:52:54 AM by Mag.Mag »

Offline ironguard05

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:17 AM »
CLASS: freshly promoted sorcerer
GOAL: support attacker (melee or casting), PvE
FUNDS: no idea of the total cost but i'm aiming for equipps that is match for my build.
BUILD: Soldier type by strectching STR,AGI,VIT,INT by 100. The rest is all to DEX.
SKILL BUILD: all skills needed to boost my melee caster role but prioritize my damage-per-second reputation.
GEAR: Present gear: EDEN EQUIPS, aim to have Ledger and phen clip, the rest i don't know. Maybe headgear with isilla card will do.

I don't know where will i stand but i prioritize my skills based on the synchornicity of my stat. Something like whirlwind 4 b'coz of my agi also to unlock VS at the same time it goes well b'coz the damage is based on atk/matk or is it atk+matk? Need to get striking since im a melee type, for the plan i have 2 aoe at my disposal plus VS d rest is for disable n summon. Could you guys help me on equippments? Or any comment on my stat/skill build? Thanks!

Offline Darkitow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19:50 PM »
Wouldn't it be more interesting to make a critical build? I believe that criticals have much more synergy with the soldier build than just going for STR/DEX. I don't know yet for sure, as I tried this build first long ago when sorcs were released in kRO, and many rebalances had happened since then, but I remember being a very effective build.

You have Striking, which gives a nice crit bonus apart from the obvious equip ATK boost. The Giant Encyclopedia has a double crit bonus ( initial +20, and like +1 per 5 LUK points), and you can card with racial crit cards (like Cruiser card) to increase damage and crit rate. Apart from that, you can add it up with elemental proficiency from Endows.

What I mean with this, is that LUK raises also MATK and ATK (and better than DEX, 1 each 3 LUK, instead of 1 each 5 DEX). It also increases damage because of crits, and helps with the accuracy, as crits ignore flee. And you don't really need to put there too much, because you get a very high crit bonus already from Striking, Encyclopedia+cards and some other gear (Bapho Jr, for example)... I remember getting around 60 LUK overall, and damage was awesome. If you throw there Agni, then it goes even more awesome, or Aqua if you want to balance things with magical damage.

And you don't need much STR or DEX for it, the little STR you get to get a good weight limit will iprove damage pretty much, and DEX... Well. You'd cast slow as hell, but Foresight is there for that, and you can always get Ventus too. That goes without saying that important spells like Varietyr Spear or Warmer have very little cast.

About equips, Thorn Buckler and Bison Horn would be nice for aspd, but I'm not too good chosing equips.  xD I went pretty much with NPC Sakray stuff, but never tried to get better things. I remember using also the Black Leather Boots plus Crest of the Rider combo, but probably a heroic Backpack would be good too... I'm not sure what would be the "dream equip" for the build, except a couple details.

Offline ironguard05

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 10:15:02 PM »
Hmm muchas gracias for that reply amigo. Someone said that orleans set is good too but i think is for mdef or matk. So for the stat i should set my strength up to where? 50? And i will now set my stat build to agi,vit,int,luk,50 str,and the rest to dex? I will record this thing in my notes for reference. I will also post my skill build and have a follow up question.

Offline Darkitow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 01:28:28 AM »
Well, you have enough stat points in the 150 levels to get AGI to 120, INT to 100, and the rest to 50, without counting bonuses, and you still have a couple more levels to round things up and raise whichever stat you want, like for example LUK to 60. With that, the encyclopedia with racial crit cards and Striking only, you've got 73% critical rate, 77% if you use Soldier Skelleton cards as an all-purpose Ecyclopedia. You still gan get more crit points from equipment like Baphomet Jr cards, etc.

But that's as I said, rounding things up very fast. You said you wanna fill the supportive role too, so 50 DEX wouldn't be enough, and 120 AGI is probably too much drain of points, you could leave it at 100 with the loss of two ASPD points or so. If you wanna go exclusively for the soldier build, then what the hell, you can forget about DEX, put only like 30 or so.

I remember in one of these threads about Spell Fist someone saying that it wasn't even good to have too much ASPD when using SF because you had to recharge too often. If you like to cast manual bolts while melee'ing, I believe the same applies to cast time, having too much DEX means that you cast too fast and you have to stop the combat to recast the spell if you want to continue "free-casting". Currently I'm levelling my sage too, and I use a Phen and 10 DEX only and I'm a happy Sage.

The majority of spells with long cast times are things you don't need to recast too often, like Hindsight, Energy Coat, Foresight (and this has fixed cast anyways), Endows, etc. Bolts have only 3.5 secs total cast, Warmer & Varietyr Spear have only 2 secs. With Ventus + Foresight, even those get reduced to just 0.5 secs cast with no DEX, so around 30 DEX, maybe 50 total should be more than enough for a battle build, IMO.

But that, as I keep saying, would be for a purely melee build, if you intend to go with land spells and other supportive tasks, then maybe you would prefer to go with the STR/DEX build, and get better cast. Or, as you said, Orleans set is a good thing to reduce cast, and when you need to rely on magic you can switch to cast-reducing gear. I never tried that in kRO, though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:29:45 AM by Darkitow »

Offline ironguard05

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 02:12:01 AM »
Thanks for the response! I have 55 dex i think it is enough,i am not nearing end-game statistics and i was about to fill int at 100. As you have said earlier crits punch harder than raw power and i have a lot of pts to allocate at 150, so far i have 30 or 35 strength, 75 agi, 20+ vit, 94 int, 55 dex, 1 luk. I will not set my build to critical now, forget about d Ledger of Death b'coz that item is absent in the hypermart pRO and hello to encyclopedia. Thanks now. My next question, finally, will be the skills but comment my current stats @ level 101.

Offline Darkitow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 03:08:23 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with the stats, but I guess I would have levelled the LUK a bit earlier. xD I'd probably leave the INT lower and level it slowly, and focus more on AGI. You got enough INT already for a lot of levels, so I'd forget about it until I'm close to the cap. Still, maybe too much DEX for my taste, but you can leave the STR as you have it now and it whouldn't damage the build much, and I'll definitely start raising LUK as soon as possible. You don't really need much, and at level 101 you should get enough exp to raise it by huge leaps in no time. As I said, you'd be fine with 50~80 LUK.

As for the skills... Well, that's kinda more personnal. The only required skills for battle sorc are all Bolts, Hindsight, Double Bolt, all Endows and Striking. Free Cast and Study should be maxed too, but the build could work without them somehow, and everything else is optional depending on the roles you wanna fulfill.

In my case, for example, I simply love summons, so I plan on going for the three "good" ones (sorry for Tera but it's fugly and the name is mispelled, it should be "Terra" D: ), but people often get only two (Ventus mainly, and then Aqua or Agni depending on which stat you wanna improve, ATK or MATK). Varietyr Spear is a must, and Warmer is really good. I would also get Safety Wall, Fiberlock, Blinding Mist, Foresight and Indulge for support, and Spirit Cure for the summons. A couple remaining points would be used to cap some things, and I guess that would fulfill all requirements. In case you wanted only two summons, I'd go with Ventus and Agni, and then you'd have 7 free points that you could put wherever you wanted, like in Soul Exhale or so.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:09:54 AM by Darkitow »