Author Topic: The Sage Thread - Classic Edition  (Read 11099 times)

Offline Hrishi

• Sliver
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Build Help! Sage Edition
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 01:46:31 AM »
Quote from: Charm;1278306
What's the difference between level 1 & level 10 Hocus Pocus?

Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember class change required level 7 Hocus Pocus, and level 10 increased the chance of getting class change. I can't remember where I read this though.

Offline Automatic

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
Would someone please explain the difference between magic rod and spell breaker? Spell breaker absorbs single target magic attacks whereas spell breaker cancels all?

Is spell breaker usually > than magic rod?

Offline Pantsu

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
Yes, just don't get level 5 for for PvP/WoE. The damage it inflicts will cause the target to flinch, instead of leaving them stuck in their cast animation.
You can call me Brian Boitano.

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »
The biggest difference is Spell Breaker forcefully interrupts your target's spellcasting. This applies even to phen effect and skills such as GC which you normally can't interrupt.

On the other hand, Magic Rod causes all single target spells aimed at you to miss for the duration of Magic Rod.

In short, Magic Rod is more of a self survivability spell whereas Spell Breaker is for interrupting regardless of who is targeted, or if it's a ground AoE for that matter.
Marvel Heroes | Neverwinter | Guild Wars 2 | iRO | Origin
kfmc | Kevs@kfmc on Mindflayer | Kevs.1679 on Sea of Sorrows | ropd | kfmc

Offline Automatic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 07:11:58 AM »
Sweet, thanks a lot for the info.

Also, I was looking to make a WoE build that isn't too hard to level. The build Ive worked out is something like 100 dex, 91 int and 80 vit. For the skill build, I wouldn't be able to fit SW, and only level 6 SC. Is this spread way too thin, and should I just focus on pure pvm or pure FS, or do I have a workable middle ground?

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/sag.html?10eKaxGAdtHOeoaCgNkDrAeAJy
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:49:56 AM by Automatic »

Offline Pantsu

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
It's so much better to just leech it up somehow. What are you planning on killing with 91 int, and how efficient will it be?
You can call me Brian Boitano.

Offline Hrishi

• Sliver
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »
Could technically do prison with that much INT. I am personally leeching my sage up, however.

Offline Automatic

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »
I went with 91 to matk min of 260, which I believe would enable me to 2 hit stings with FW, or just FW'ing in Prisons.  This will honestly be my first mage class, so I'm at a bit of a handicap in regards to leveling tricks besides mobbing with FW+HD/TS or just FW+FB.

I'm getting that the stats would hinder leveling quite a bit. Would 100 int, 100 dex and 65 vit be more realistic for leveling and WoE?  If that's stretching it too thin, I would just leech or go pure int/dex.

Quote from: Hrishi;1295665
Could technically do prison with that much INT. I am personally leeching my sage up, however.

It's sounding like that's what I may need to do as well.  Appreciate all y'alls help!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:02:57 PM by Automatic »

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 01:24:35 PM »
Why do you have spell breaker 4? 3 is enough and that 1 to stone curse. You might wanna consider dropping LB/TS to get Safety Wall (or just neuralizer it out. Is neuralizer even in classic?)

I'll admit, as dedicated I was as a Sage back in the day (being one of the rare active+main Sages before trans ever came out), I absolutely failed at leveling, was a huge leveling whiner, and resorted to hydro farming(that's what I get for being a leveling/woe hybrid). So I can only offer some advice on being a woe-int Sage.

With that said, getting to 120 int is a big deal for leveling. Thankfully, having buff slave accounts is easier now than it was back then. My biggest mistake was not hitting this break point, even with all int gears, making me kill painfully slow.

For WoE, having 90+ base dex is a must for offensive ME (rushing/breaking precasts).

Also for WoE, whenever the sage is stunned, his ME will NOT block aoe spells like SG for the duration. Needless to say that high vit is needed.

With our limited stat points, what I found to be the easiest is to rely on gear. Wear all int gear for leveling to help you reach that 120 int. Sages are not wizzies with high cast time for damaging spells. This lets you lower your base int and get more dex/vit. Needless to say, you don't need much int in WoE, so switch over to dex gear there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:26:54 PM by Prodigy »

Offline Hrishi

• Sliver
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
Quote from: Prodigy;1295702

Also for WoE, whenever the sage is stunned, his ME will NOT block aoe spells like SG for the duration. Needless to say that high vit is needed.

Although I don't disagree that high VIT is required for a WoE sage, that statement is incorrect. ME does indeed work even if the sage is stunned. I asked this question years ago.

http://forums.irowiki.org/showthread.php?t=36024

Offline Prodigy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Are you sure? All that thread talked about was magnus definitely not working while stunned and maybe confusingly attributing that to magnetic earth which are both referred to as ME. Didn't sound like someone tested it for sure.

I would test it if I still played RO. Maybe someone else can do it? (Specifically with SG on ME from a stunned sage).

Offline Hrishi

• Sliver
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
Quote from: Prodigy;1295803
Are you sure? All that thread talked about was magnus definitely not working while stunned and maybe confusingly attributing that to magnetic earth which are both referred to as ME. Didn't sound like someone tested it for sure.

I would test it if I still played RO. Maybe someone else can do it? (Specifically with SG on ME from a stunned sage).

I just linked that to say that I had asked the question before. I would also say the replies were pretty confident in their answer but anyhow, I can assure you ME does indeed work when the sage is stunned. I still suggest getting high VIT of course, but I just wanted to correct that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:16:49 PM by Hrishi »

Offline Kuro-pi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »
Quote from: Prodigy;1295803

This has been tested many times in live WoE. Our sage gets stunned all the time.
Valkyrie:
Classic:

Offline Acyclicoak

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »
Ok folks time for a Sage newbie to step into the picture. I have always wanted to make one, but never had the motivation. If I make a FS Sage for WoE, I'm gonna need a little bit of help. Im assuming max DEX, and high vit, with some int. If there are some numbers people could throw at me to try out and see what I like it would be appreciated. I posted a link to my skills, but I don't know where to put the last 10 points I would have remaining. I was considering putting them into either the endows or getting LB/TS. Any suggestions are welcome since as I said I am a newbie to sages.

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/sag.html?10qoDnfkeKboebaCgNkDrAdAJy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:00:45 PM by Acyclicoak »

Offline Hrishi

• Sliver
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »
I would go 99 DEX and enough VIT for stun immunity. You could always get more points into volcano and deluge in your skill build above. I do not suggest getting LB/TS because if you want a FS Sage, it should have little to no INT.