Author Topic: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn: officially open and discussion thread  (Read 121963 times)

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn: officially open and discussion thread
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »

FFXIV:ARR is the rebirth of FF14 after its failed, terrible original launch

it's a pretty cool game now

-can solo majority of the game
-for dungeons and non-soloables, cross-server "duty finder" can aid you in getting parties while cutting out the "LFG" yells and bullshit (at the same time, pick up groups can suck ass like any mmo)
-auction house/market system already in place
-1 character can effectively level ALL jobs; you switch jobs by changing your weapon (if you unlocked the job which is a simple quest in their starting cities)
-you can put in your stat points on top of pre-determined stat growth; these points and growths are unique to each job so you can effectively have a mage job and melee job on the same char
-equipment sets and armour chest
-FATE system, which is like a big fuckin battle that pops up in fields that ALL players can join and get exp from, along with other rewards
-really awesome storyline
-great graphics, music

there's more, check it out if you're interested or jump to about here http://forums.irowiki.org/showthread.php?t=45851&page=48 for the last few months of discussion
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:59:18 PM by Pa.rabola »

Offline Arwen

• View Profile
    • http://papertriangle.net
Re: FFXIV
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
Interesting.
Understandable to only choose one system to test.
  Ragnarok Online; Sakray; Chaos || World of Warcraft; US; Moonrunner; Kil\'Jaeden
Diablo III || Final Fantasy XI; Caith Sith; Carbuncle || Granado Espada; Bach
Final Fantasy XIV (1.0); Excalibur || A Realm Reborn (2.0); Excalibur

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:01:27 PM »
Quote from: Arwen;697713
Interesting.
Understandable to only choose one system to test.

yes and no.. when they did that with FFXI PS2 version got delayed a lot.

and then when they continued to design new stuff to add on, they had to water it down because they seemed to forget  PS2 limitations.

by only testing PC first again, it seems to set the precedence that they will be designing for PC again mostly and PS3 will be a second thought. how long will it take before PS3 limitations becomes the new joke I wonder...

Offline Duga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
I applied for beta on the PC. Dunno much about the game though, didn't like ffxi at all. Just didn't have that FF feeling to me, not sure. Do you know when open beta will start?
Intothesky - Valkyrie
Catch The Rainbow - Ymir

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:32:23 AM »
FF13 comes with a code that you can register on Squares site, that gives you ANOTHER code that you can use when you sign up for the FFXIV Beta, and will give you an item in FFXIV when it is released.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code is available in limited quantities. The code is obtainable by registering a serial code printed on a special MEMBERS Point Card included in the first production run of FINAL FANTASY XIII for PlayStation 3.
- The FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code enables you to apply for, but does not guarantee participation in, beta testing for FINAL FANTASY XIV. Those selected to participate in the beta test will be notified at a later date.
- The FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code is required only for the PlayStation 3 beta testing application. The code is not required for the beta testing application for the Windows® version of FINAL FANTASY XIV.
- Submission of the FINAL FANTASY XIV beta testing application is limited to one per Square Enix ID, either for Windows or PlayStation 3.
- Beta testing of the PlayStation 3 version of FINAL FANTASY XIV will begin after the start of the Windows version's beta testing. The schedule will be announced at a later date.
- The FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code can be used for FINAL FANTASY XIV beta testing entry starting March 9, 2010. The FINAL FANTASY XIV in-game item can be received after the official start of the FINAL FANTASY XIV service by entering this promotional code.
- Each FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code may only be used once for each program described in this document.
friend found that, so any ps3 testers needs to go get a first run copy of ff13 for the best chance to participate in beta. I think I will also have to go pick up a copy today now. not like I wouldn't eventually, but might as well get the first run for the codes. (and here we thought JPs would be the only ones to get the in-game items. JP ONRY BUTTONS.)

open beta never happened with ff11. it was closed alpha to closed beta to retail. so Idk if open beta will ever occur. or do you just mean beta? if that, dunno. probably one month or two after march 11?

Offline angelus11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:48:53 PM »
The game looks good, i have had a ff11 acct active for a while without realizing it but i canceled it like 2 months ago haha ;_; i have applied for the beta hopefully i get in! I didnt care too much for ff11 though...I liked the fact that travel to another city wasnt easy made it more like an adventure but the grind and de-leveling was just horrible (I have 2 broken ps2 controllers that i threw against the wall because of the grind )
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:51:28 PM by angelus11 »

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:12:30 PM »
Quote from: angelus11;698417
The game looks good, i have had a ff11 acct active for a while without realizing it but i canceled it like 2 months ago haha ;_; i have applied for the beta hopefully i get in! I didnt care too much for ff11 though...I liked the fact that travel to another city wasnt easy made it more like an adventure but the grind and de-leveling was just horrible (I have 2 broken ps2 controllers that i threw against the wall because of the grind )

ya, FFXI was fun outside of the grind and the really, really large and sometimes annoying maps (yuhtunga oh my goooood).. hopefully this will be easier to exp in tho.. maybe even a bit more soloable.. and maybe less time-consuming.

Offline Murray

• Murple Stury 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
Less time consuming would be hard, most mmo's are incredible in how much time they require you to pour into them in order to be good.

Less quests?  I'm not sure how they would manage that.  Would be good to see one that doesn't take your life from you.

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »
oh.. someone that didn't play ffxi or a melee class on ffxi. it was time consuming because you had to LFG for a party for like 4+ hrs some days. before they made soloing a possibility. it literally was a time-consumer where you sat on your char ass while doing hw or something waiting for someone to /t you and off a party.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
    • http://www.healplz.com
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »
Oh lame, no alpha for me. I canceled my FFXI account a looong time ago.

When signing up for beta, under the category of "Select which MMO you currently play the most", i was surprised Ragnarok Online was on the list!
Useful RO Tools [Dev Blog]

LOTRO: [Player Profile]
RO: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
Steam: [TF2] [3FL] [L4D] [L4D2]

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 05:30:29 PM »
well, FF14 is also in Japan where RO was MUCH more popular than in America... for a long time too.

Offline johnnycakes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »
I never played 11. I applied for the Beta because I got the code from FF13. iRO is the first and only MMO I play.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/neko_outlaw/iRO%20stuffs/MSsig.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »
again, it's probably better that way lol ): 11 was notoriously tough to play if you had any semblance of a life. the decent linkshells were filled with individuals that lived at home w/ parents, either as a student or just as a 2x+ yr old w/ no live, that were on like 18-20 hrs a day, every day. if you were not one of these people, you were useful for what little would happen during the time you could participate, and you usually got put low on the lists of "people to receive x items"... and ofc, x items could not be gotten w/o a full alliance (18 players) taking down shit like HNMs and crap (HNMs think of RO MVPs but actually needing 18 players to take them down, and often only popping once every 24 hrs in a 3 hour window).

also, 11 was pretty notorious for having some broken jobs. at end game, pretty much what was wanted was red mages, bards, paladins subbing nin 95% of the time, a ninja for tanking 5% of the time, and samurai or dark knights for dd. and one thief for treasure hunter. outside of those jobs, a lot of the other jobs became very, very obsolete...

and not to forget puppetmaster and dragoons, the most lulzy classes of all cos they did shit for damage and had NO worthy job abilities whatsoever to make them useful.

loldrg and lolpup

I mean, you thought Gravity did a bad job balancing classes? they did better than SE did. -_-

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=loldrg

Offline Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »
damn valkrum dunes were scary as fk at night time when the undead stuff spawn gotta ZONE
tupac - aquamarine

Offline Shao

• Songs of Symmetry
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:02:55 PM »
Quote from: Choi;700951
damn valkrum dunes were scary as fk at night time when the undead stuff spawn gotta ZONE

I thought queefim (qufim) was worse.. lake was awesome exp during day and then the skels at night would rapeee. plus random giants roaming. there was zone in particular that was really crappy for that type of shit, but I can't recall which one it was now. o well