Author Topic: The Critique Thread  (Read 10897 times)

Offline +>Motoko<+

• View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/lzmanatee
Re: The Critique Thread.
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 11:07:33 AM »
Ugh, I don't really want to do this, but I suppose its for the best. Here's one of my recent-er sketches. It was a commission for a friend. Took me 2 weeks to draw the thing, because I had a hard time on the pants and legs. Btw, I know that the head is a little too big.

Here's another piece, non-RO this time.
Also, sorry about the messy outline. I just got new sketching pencils, and didn't realize that they were of different lead thickness. xD
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:09:00 AM by +>Motoko<+ »

------------------------
Better make sure...better make sure you\'re looking closely...
Before you fall into your Swoon~

------------------------
-[Misayo]- - Sura - 150/50
Aeria_Gloris - Arch Bishop - 10x/1x
+>Motoko<+ - Guillotine Cross - 108/1x

Offline feuillu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »
Quote from: +>Motoko<+;214894
Btw, I know that the head is a little too big.

The big head thing is a pretty common phenomenon.  You probably start a drawing at the head and work your way down, right?  That's why the bodies seem to taper off the lower you go.  If you start off with a rough structure sketch, they'll turn out much more proportionate.

Hope that helps!  You've got a lot of promise. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lnz.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 12:35:01 AM »
One thing I can offer would be try not to hide the hands.  Drawing hands can be difficult, so try practicing different hand positions or even using your own hand as reference.  Granted there are some positions your subject can be in that would naturally hide parts of the arm or hands, but overall try to bring them into the picture.

Offline +>Motoko<+

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 11:26:56 AM »
@Feuillu: Alright, I'll try that.

@Lnz.: I know, but its so much easier to just hide the hands because they're such a pain to draw!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:28:41 AM by +>Motoko<+ »

------------------------

------------------------

Offline Lachanna

• View Profile
    • http://www.channadesigns.ca
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 07:04:50 AM »
I think you have great potential. you do a lot of details, just need to work on those proportions a bit.
Here is something maybe to check out.

http://dredogol.deviantart.com/favourites/?3213179#Tutorials-Anatomy

Hands are definitely not easy. One of my last drawings of my High priestess, i had having a hard time a bit with one of her hands. I ended up turning on the photo booth program on my mac and positioning my hands how I wanted them in the drawing to see how they rested. It worked well, I managed to get the hand drawn.

just keep at it, look up references, deviant art seems to have a lot.

Offline +>Motoko<+

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »
Here is a commission I just scanned in yesterday for someone. I know the head is still a bit too big (I read this thread after I started on it xD), but I think everything else is pretty good.

@Lnz: As you can see, I have the hands showing. While they are only simple "mitten" hands, this is still a step for both to be showing in my drawing. I'm going to try a more complex hand in my next commission.
@Lachanna: Why thank you! I took a look at some of the drawings in the link you posted, and they are really informative, especially the arms and hands one. Thank you for posting them! <3

------------------------

------------------------

Offline Lachanna

• View Profile
    • http://www.channadesigns.ca
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »
You are welcome.

Offline Lnz.

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
Even mitten hands, as you said, is a step in the right dirrection.  And I do love your attention to detail.

Offline Speedking

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
Quote from: +>Motoko<+;220530
Here is a commission I just scanned in yesterday for someone. I know the head is still a bit too big (I read this thread after I started on it xD), but I think everything else is pretty good.

@Lnz: As you can see, I have the hands showing. While they are only simple "mitten" hands, this is still a step for both to be showing in my drawing. I'm going to try a more complex hand in my next commission.
@Lachanna: Why thank you! I took a look at some of the drawings in the link you posted, and they are really informative, especially the arms and hands one. Thank you for posting them! <3

I like you attention to texture,and this shows some effort...you could gain alot by working out your form first, Like try roughing out shapes with a light blue pencil, then carve out forms out of those basic shapes, and move on to details last! :)

Offline fatchick

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »
even mitten hands can be hands :3 all you have to do is put a few simple lines, and let the looker's eye put it all together. kinda hard to explain so i did this real fast:

if you kinda see what i mean? as few as 2 or 3 lines can turn a mitten into a not so mitten :D

almost forgot the critique lol its late.  i like the big head and the more squareish eyes, it has personality.  a ton of detail in the clothes too, and the clothes have weight.  looks like she really is wearing a big heavy duty fur cape thing to me.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:32:18 PM by fatchick »
~artworks.

Offline Samias

• Inaction Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://xyrafhoan.deviantart.com
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 01:10:05 AM »
I need some major help getting this guy's face right... there's just something about his eyes and lips that are ALL WRONG and it makes him look like a tranny but I'm having no success fixing it:
http://xyrafhoan.deviantart.com
RPHaven.net, a forum roleplaying site
=iRO Sakray/Iris/Ymir=
Samias Dragonlord
Xyra Fhoan
Tatayu

=WoW Suramar=
Ishkagri
And a bunch of failures

Offline Speedking

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 07:30:38 PM »
Quote from: Samias;278239
I need some major help getting this guy's face right... there's just something about his eyes and lips that are ALL WRONG and it makes him look like a tranny but I'm having no success fixing it:

His left eye was sliding off hif face, smaller eyes would make it look more like a man, longer neck, and more of a back of the head....try laying it out in shapes first.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:34:36 PM by Speedking »

Offline Jayed

• Tirades' Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2008, 09:30:15 PM »
Men have lower brows (creating larger looking foreheads and sharper contrast between the brow and what's underneath it) that's one thing you can change to make it look more masculine.

Also yeah the eyes should be like speedking draw over your pic where they are tilted in a mirror-like fashion, as opposed to what you have which is the exact same tilt on both eyes which bends the symmetry.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:32:24 PM by Jayed »

Offline cujo the cat

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
Two drawings of original characters from a project of mine. These are somewhat old but are still pretty close to how I draw to this day.

[ATTACH]1630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1631[/ATTACH]

The only things I'm currently aware of are my extreme lack of texture, the sub par hands, sloppy erasing and little to no perspective. my DA page never receives any comments so I don't get a lot of critique on my stuff.

Offline Rakutei

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »
Well, this is ages old, but anyway:

Cujo, I believe your poses look too static. Your first picture, for example, it's arms are just dangling there, and it looks really awkward, and the back legs placement next to the tail, the depth there is wrong. I think the legs need to be moved around slightly.

The second image, I believe, doesn't show the character enough, I'm guessing it's supposed to be jumping, but it doesn't look like a powerful anime-style leap. I believe the shield hides too much of the character, and bogs down the image overall.

On the plus side, the drawings are neat, and you don't have disproportionate limbs on your characters. I'd recommend you work on your poses a little more.