Author Topic: The Crusader Thread - Renewal Edition  (Read 29695 times)

Offline Barigas

• View Profile
Re: The Crusader Thread - Renewal Edition
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2013, 04:21:39 AM »
Quote from: RaymiGoblin;1375433
Can we say that, in general, RG has 3 main types, they all are spear, shield and Genesis Ray(Grand Cross) builds; please disregard hybrid in this case.

And, generally, shield is concluded to be less useful?

Beside that, I don't see people(most of them) in iRO spending skill points on Banding and Hesperus Lit, why?

And lastly, Genesis Ray focused build is less favourable than spear build; due to it cost 1% of EXP each time to cast Inspiration and nothing to play beside that Genesis Ray?

Thank you, I am newbie in Royal Guard class.
Noone plays Genesis Ray build after the rebalance because of its low damage. Who are you planning to kill with 18atk+30matk damage(specially when RG does not have any good matk weapon)? So, there are generally 3 builds - Full Support, agi-Spear type and full-EB build for sniping strong targets.

Offline RaymiGoblin

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »
Quote from: Barigas;1375434
Quote from: RaymiGoblin;1375433
Can we say that, in general, RG has 3 main types, they all are spear, shield and Genesis Ray(Grand Cross) builds; please disregard hybrid in this case.

And, generally, shield is concluded to be less useful?

Beside that, I don't see people(most of them) in iRO spending skill points on Banding and Hesperus Lit, why?

And lastly, Genesis Ray focused build is less favourable than spear build; due to it cost 1% of EXP each time to cast Inspiration and nothing to play beside that Genesis Ray?

Thank you, I am newbie in Royal Guard class.

Noone plays Genesis Ray build after the rebalance because of its low damage. Who are you planning to kill with 18atk+30matk damage(specially when RG does not have any good matk weapon)? So, there are generally 3 builds - Full Support, agi-Spear type and full-EB build for sniping strong targets.

Thanks for replying. So, normally, do we play hybrid build with the combination of spear + EB? And, since during 2nd advanced class, there are some skill points after Spear Mastery and Spear Quicken, withstanding that we cannot master other skills, so we normally go for some shield skills. And, this make RG generally hybrid build with the combination of EB + spear + shield?

Offline ASTTHAR

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
a question...to use hesperus lit do i need to be 3 squares or less distan from another rg?

Offline teh_hungry_cavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »
For as long as at least 2 other Royal Guards are within the area of effect of Banding(7x7 cells with the Caster in its middle like performer songs), you can use the skill. If my memory serves me right, the level of Banding does not matter as long as you and 2 or more other Royal Guards are banded together. Obviously, the one who will cast the skill will need to allocate 3 points in it since Hesperus Lit requires Level 3 Banding.

In the example below:
Code: [Select]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [A][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][C] [A][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[A][ ][ ][B][ ][ ][C] [ ][ ][ ][B][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][B][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][C]

If A, B, and C are all Royal Guards with Banding activated,
only B can use Hesperus Lit as A and C are within his Banding's AoE,
unlike A and C as both are outside each others AoE.
This requirement, however, is negated if the Royal Guard using the skill is under Inspiration.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:59:58 PM by teh_hungry_cavalry »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
All work and no play makes a person... grind to death.
You Just Have to Deal with Me and My Conservative Arse. :gg:
Thanks to Feral for the Pic.

Offline Sternchen

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 01:36:21 AM »
Good Morning Everybody,

I need help for a Build of a Reflect Damage Build.

I've got seen a Build on irowiki, but only the Stats.

Which Skills I needed?

I will leveling solo, but I don't know which Skills are must-have.

P.S.: Sry for my bad english, I'm german ;) I play on fRO :lol:

Offline Barigas

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 04:30:09 AM »
Quote from: Sternchen;1390566
Good Morning Everybody,

I need help for a Build of a Reflect Damage Build.

I've got seen a Build on irowiki, but only the Stats.

Which Skills I needed?

I will leveling solo, but I don't know which Skills are must-have.

P.S.: Sry for my bad english, I'm german ;) I play on fRO :lol:
You can just forget about this build. It only worked before the rebalance patch. Now RD uses 10sp per second, so it is unusable in killing mobs.

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 05:01:25 AM »
It's not the perpetuation cost that killed the build, it's the reason that the buff now has a limited amount of time it can reflect before losing the buff. Technically, it's a nerf targeted to those who have very low INT.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Sternchen

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2014, 07:54:18 AM »
:sob:

And which Build is good for solo leveling?

I know about WoE Build and Tank Build, but I'm a very bad tanker.

And only play in Parties is not that, what I will. Back to school ;)

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »
Let's see, depends on what type of a build you want.  Tank + Offense?  Technically you can build that off Paladin Tank skills while using RG offensive skills.  Rapid Smiting can deal a considerable amount of damage to single targets early on, or you can go the more typical pure auto-attack Crit and nix any offensive skills in favour of grabbing heal.

Here's a build based around speed and tanking, no healing though, with my personal picks for Spear skills, and 10 points to spread some love.  Get more prestige, go for the Shield attack (Press CAN do decent damage), get Exceed Break (which I consider a maybe in a spear build, counter to a lot of RG builds I've seen).  Heck, if you wanted, you could still get Reflect to use in spare moments when you're surrounded on all sides:

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/rgd.html?10Jkoxbxlk1bxGS3bnHNbnaSbpdnadak1

Another build, this one aims for Healing and Spear Skills, with 4 points to maybe put into Guard (helps considering the Platinum skill for Crusaders requires Guard and can be beneficial if surrounded), or you can go for 2 points into Resistant Souls, which is very situational and I have no idea how well it works since I've never used it nor know anyone who has:

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/rgd.html?10JkoxcA4kGSHQdnGAHNbnaSbpdnadak1

The thing about soloing a Paladin is...with Spear Quicken and an agi build, it's pretty easy to without anything else.  Heck, you could just get Spear Mastery, Quicken, and Cavalier Mastery finished off and go to town.  Save the rest of your points to place however you want.

Just in case, if you want a sacrifice build, which literally "sacrifices" the Paladin's ability to function in any other way besides Auto-attack spear and playing the "sacrifice".  You can still solo this of course, as per the paragraph above:

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/rgd.html?10JkoxcFkFuFakGS5HNbnaSbpdnadak1

However, I see sacrifice, due to the literal sacrifice in your own Paladin skillset (subpar shield skills overall), as making up for bad players who don't want to learn the game =p.  Not that it isn't useful, it is extremely useful, especially if sacrificing for the tank (assuming well armoured) and healer/s.  I just don't like the requirements and gimping of other skills, especially if you want Spear Skills and any real sense of soloability.  Matyr's Reckoning isn't as fantastic in Renewal as it was in Classic (can't hit that 80+% physical damage reduction with armour alone, so it's more dangerous now, nor is it as effective for high damage later on), so even going that route isn't as effective.  Spear's are pretty much the best solo builds as a result.

Hope that helps, but I'm sure some people might have a few things to correct me on or disagree with me about.

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »
IMO, going the sacrificial route is the way to go. Ever since this class was released, it has been the case. There's no changing that. It's the very highlight of being a Crusader class.

If you're the WoE type of player, this option becomes mandatory as casting Sacrifice on vital casters(i.e. Warlocks, Bishops, etc) is the only way to make their casting uninterrupted.

Be it you prefer to take the offensive spear route or not, Sacrifice is a staple skill in every build.

Though I still have this thing on Burst Attack. The other mechanic for this skill is that for every 100 HP you lose, you effectively add 1% to the multiplier for this skill. Having 15 rage counters is already 3000%. If you have 15 rage counters and lost let's say.. 50,000 HP, you get a total of 3500%. Some say that it's negligible but if you built yourself to be less aggressive and be more supportive, it will pay off in the long run. Since we're talking of losing HP adds to Burst Attack damage, then comes its synergy to Martyr's Reckoning. you lose 45% of your maximum HP if you manage to use all 5 charges of this skill. Even casting Grand Cross will add up to the damage, not to mention you  can gain rage counters from the self damage from casting it. Your goal is to have as much maximum HP as you could possibly get.

Just to add on Prestige; if you're planning on investing points in it, you might want to consider putting considerable amounts of INT and LUK as these two stats gives you the chance to evade spells.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »
I really should add this point: Sacrifice is a do or die skill in partying.  Most parties are NOT keen on RG's without Sacrifice.  Not that all cannot be.

I actually removed about 80% of that post covering sacrifice builds and various other constructs, but they remove Spears altogether, focusing instead on Shield skills, Hesperis Lit, and either banding or Inspiration (serious, until we get 60 skill points, Inspiration nullifies your effectiveness in Banding, it's really an either/or due to the point requirements for Inspiration as it nullifies any and all damage skills if you want at minimum level 3 banding, to like..well, nothing really, and banding requires a pretty high sacrifice on its own).

Just note that while parties may not like the idea of an RG without Sacrifice, it isn't absolute, but given game mechanics, AD/DB/Asura/AS and in some cases even Cart Cannon typically trump standalone RG skills in terms of overall party DPS (and let's face it RK's can't "sacrifice").  So there's really two main reasons for an RG in a party situation: Sacrifice and the buff (assuming luck with the better bonuses) Battle Chant.  The rest is either more tanking, or mob cleanup.

All depends on the party makeup though.  If you're good, and have very good equipment, you can get away with being the core tank with just the first build I offered.  I do know plenty of RG's without Sacrifice who have gotten to 150.  It's still a minority group though, and few major guilds would take you without it, due to feeling pretty much the same way Calvary does.  This on virtually every server no matter what country you're in, you can find a similar sentiment amongst the top guilds.  

Doesn't mean you couldn't make a name for yourself with a different build, and change minds (this has happened before with numerous builds, like changing the Vit/Int Priest to a Dex/Int/some Vit Priest that doesn't even hit 90 Int, this prior to Renewal, and it's kind of stuck).  Heck, hybrid Knights and LK's were huge in Korea for awhile after some really talented players showed you can mix Agi and Spears, or do Spear + Sword with some Agi.  Became big on privates for a bit of time too before everyone returned to the more traditional Knight styles, especially in light of renewal and DB's mechanics.

Just thought I'd put that out there.  I do know plenty of pure Shield Paladin's who soloed most MVP's in the game back in pre-renewal, without god gears of any kind.  No Sacrifice for them =p.

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
And pure Shield RGs cannot be set aside as well.

I dunno.. I still have this itch in playing this game but my life doesn't allow me to. /drama

Anyway, if you're onto min-maxing, do the cookie cutter builds everyone has been doing. I despise them but I cannot deny their effectiveness. They wouldn't be called cookie cutter builds if they weren't effective, in the first place.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline classic

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2014, 03:57:17 PM »
im returning from a 2 year break. Is Ob still the way to level? high agi, str n dex?

Offline lesterblade

• The Legend
  • facebook.com/papalester
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/papalester
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2014, 05:34:21 AM »
From Bakonawa MVP boss :lol:

papalester
@lestertagala

Offline coren

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
Quote from: classic;1392801
im returning from a 2 year break. Is Ob still the way to level? high agi, str n dex?

Yes.