iRO Wiki  

Go Back   iRO Wiki > Ragnarok Online > Classic Class Discussion

Classic Class Discussion Everything about Classic Classes in here!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
teh_hungry_cavalry
Angeling

Server: iRO Other
Class: Royal Guard

Post Martyr's Reckoning: Is it worth the pain?

This is not your standard Help me with my Paladin Build. I would like to have a discussion whether this overrated skill on a Support-Oriented Class is worth making as your primary skill. I'm still not moved by 99/99/25 (VAS) build because it's very limited and has little to no-use, in terms of Utilization. It's just another DD when there are other classes capable of doing it, even better.

Although my build has MR in it, I use it as an act of Desperation - when the need for an immediate damage is direly needed and I have a lot of HP and little to no SP to use another skill.

All work and no play makes a person... grind to death.
You Just Have to Deal with Me and My Conservative Arse.
Thanks to Feral for the Pic.

Last edited by teh_hungry_cavalry; 05-25-2009 at 10:43 PM.
teh_hungry_cavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Ardney Wolf
Poporing

Server: iRO Chaos
Guild: Ookami Clan
Class: Crusader

Default Re: Martyr's Reckoning: Is it worth the pain?

Judging by the wording in your initial post it seems your mind is already made up regarding the skill so why the need for discussion?

My 2 cents on it are as follows: If you have a Tao Gunka card, then by all means center your build around MR and Sac. If you do not, then find something else to work with. And if you do end up with Tao, don't go 99/99/25. If you gear right, you'll be doing high enough damage per hit that maxing agi is a waste of stat points.
Deer should flee in haste

Last edited by Ardney Wolf; 05-26-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Ardney Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Jayed
Tirades' Princess

Guild: Volkiba
Class: Genetic

I've never been killed by a MR paladin that didn't have tao gunka. I am not sure what you mean by "overrated". If you're going a support oriented build (VIT/DEX/INT) then your MR will be even more abysmal. So you've basically answered your own question.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Dynamo
Stapo

Class: Paladin

The pain is not worth.

MR is very underpowered compared with other damage skills. It is useless against ghostry enemies. And the waste of HP and SP is too high.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Solarcow105
Stapo

With the new BG set it might actually be worth it. +35% hp could make MR fun. Obviously, not as good as a tao pally, but still fun.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
VJPholwanna
Marin

Class: High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarcow105 View Post
With the new BG set it might actually be worth it. +35% hp could make MR fun. Obviously, not as good as a tao pally, but still fun.
Add a tao for even more fun lol
VJPholwanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
~viridia~
Banned

The new bg armors aren't slotted...
~viridia~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Sho Lin
(ಠ_ಠ)

Server: iRO Retired

If you have GR and you get MR'ed, even by a tao'ed pala, it's lol.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
teh_hungry_cavalry
Angeling

Well actually, I'm a bit tired to explain to other people that a build that focuses too much on a single skill that is rather fairly easy to counter isn't worth the pain. They make MR + Spear Quicken Build... that BTW made me lol harder. It's either they're telling that it can own PvP and whatnot but my opinion is that the power of the Paladin can be seen in protecting it's allies through Sacrifice(Devotion) or Gospel(Battle Chant) for +20 Stats. Shield Chain(Rapid Smiting) is also good for it can be paired to almost any build. So I'll be using this as reference for them to realize how unworthy this skill is to even spend your precious time and money.

Oh yeah, another thing... I'm more of a 70/80/92 SVD Paladin.

Last edited by teh_hungry_cavalry; 05-26-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Zodiark
Drops

Server: idRO
Class: Stalker

Does this skill fare better than Grand Cross?
Zodiark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
Ardney Wolf
Poporing

Guild: Ookami Clan
Class: Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiark
For PvM? Probably not, since it's single target and you'll likely damage yourself far more than you would GC mobbing.

For PvP? I'd argue it's the better of the 2. GC is fixed position with a cast time. MR is spike damage at your aspd that relies on a stat (Vit) that is desirable in PvP anyway for improving your durability and status resistance. And while people can (and will) point out GR as a counter to MR, Holy armor is an effective enough counter to GC and it's obtainable by more methods than just a card (see BSS, BC).
Deer should flee in haste

Last edited by Ardney Wolf; 05-27-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Ardney Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Divine~
Marin

Guild: UT
Class: Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayed View Post
I've never been killed by a MR paladin that didn't have tao gunka. I am not sure what you mean by "overrated". If you're going a support oriented build (VIT/DEX/INT) then your MR will be even more abysmal. So you've basically answered your own question.
I killed your 9x gypsy back on iris with an 86 MR paladin (No DA yet), I had marie and you had some priest and you just bitched about me having a hp and you didn't

MR is awesome, I loved it back when I played but nowadays don't expect to be killing the high hp guys, I usually just took out stalkers sin, hw and archer characters with my pally and had sac to support

Best way to get ahold of me, in order, is on
A r r e n
Divine Nub
Divine~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Jayed
Tirades' Princess

Guild: Volkiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine~ View Post
I killed your 9x gypsy back on iris with an 86 MR paladin (No DA yet), I had marie and you had some priest and you just bitched about me having a hp and you didn't
I've killed a lord knight with a ~50 INT firebolt, let's all make level 35 mages for WoE. Do you listen to yourself talk? You can set up unfair battles where you have a high priest slaving you against one of the worst classes to PVP with and deny that player white pots, and you can kill them with BASH or MELEE if you wanted to. You disdn't have a reason for posting, did you? Other than to stroke your e-peen? Cause you're not supporting an argument to get MR one bit.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Arai
Poporing

Guild: NWA

I play a guildie's 90/90/60 185 Aspd MR Paladin in WoE and I don't think I'd call it useless. Even with spare gears (no variants, valk armor, elemental armor or anything good..) I drop plenty of people, not all of which are squishies. Sure, it uses a ton of supplies (the way I play it, I use about 1200-1700 whites and 200 blues during seige) , but it's also tons of fun to play.

Granted, it's not an EDP Sonic Blow, Acid Bomb, or G-Fist in terms of damage, and I don't solo LKs or Paladins with it, my kill count seems to be fairly high each WoE with it. And while it's true that it does not work against GR, the skill is still fairly useful at taking out tough people in a precast where they wouldn't be using GR anyway. Also, I love shield reflecting Gfists :]

Last edited by Arai; 05-27-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Arai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
Whacko Jacko
Marin

Guild: Clemency

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_hungry_cavalry View Post
Well actually, I'm a bit tired to explain to other people that a build that focuses too much on a single skill that is rather fairly easy to counter isn't worth the pain. They make MR + Spear Quicken Build... that BTW made me lol harder. It's either they're telling that it can own PvP and whatnot but my opinion is that the power of the Paladin can be seen in protecting it's allies through Sacrifice(Devotion) or Gospel(Battle Chant) for +20 Stats. Shield Chain(Rapid Smiting) is also good for it can be paired to almost any build. So I'll be using this as reference for them to realize how unworthy this skill is to even spend your precious time and money.

Oh yeah, another thing... I'm more of a 70/80/92 SVD Paladin.

RS is basically the same shit, except its ranged and has a cast time. AKA Both get raped by GR. Pali's are generally weak to GR, so unless you're an instant cast GC build, I don't think there's any real reason to compare the two in PvP/WoE and just go with preference.
Whacko Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
teh_hungry_cavalry
Angeling

Though it does not require even 0.00001% of your HP.

It is a given that both are raped by GR but never forget that Rapid Smiting relies on STR and there are other skills that rely on STR and are not forced Neutral.

Last edited by teh_hungry_cavalry; 05-27-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
~viridia~
Banned

When I play my stalker I giggle when I get MR'd, it hardly ever does more than even 10% of my HP per hit. They'd probably kill themselves first. That's without even switching to a GR mind you.
~viridia~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #18
Zodiark
Drops

Server: idRO
Class: Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardney Wolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiark
For PvM? Probably not, since it's single target and you'll likely damage yourself far more than you would GC mobbing.

For PvP? I'd argue it's the better of the 2. GC is fixed position with a cast time. MR is spike damage at your aspd that relies on a stat (Vit) that is desirable in PvP anyway for improving your durability and status resistance. And while people can (and will) point out GR as a counter to MR, Holy armor is an effective enough counter to GC and it's obtainable by more methods than just a card (see BSS, BC).
But with MR how do you handle mobs in pvp/WoE? If it works, in 1v1 situations MR wins no doubt since you can just shield boom GR armors with Mailbreaker, though GCing using quad freeze weapons is also doable. Also GC has better burst damage no?

And last question, how do you level STR-less MR pally?
Zodiark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #19
Coca~Cola
Magmaring

Server: Chaos
Guild: E|A

I say depends on the player/gears they use... seen high end Palis on all three major damage builds, with RS being the deadliest in woe, then MR, then GC.
Coca~Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 AM   #20
Fish
Drops

In terms of support, you should probably use MR to shoo off ppl on your sac line. Tao MR is like....3k a hit on a non GR I think. If you could get the whole 5 hits off then yoru target has to have more than 15k or pot/healed off a good chunk to survive. Non tao would be 1.5k in theory(half of tao). 7.5k is easier to deal with but you never know when that might kill an oppositing person.

The other arguement is with thorny shields + bg spear yoru typical 150 dex 100 vit build has 180 aspd. I think 99 agi builds only hit 186 with the same setup.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote