iRO Wiki  

Go Back   iRO Wiki > Ragnarok News Network > kRO News

kRO News Latest kRO patch translations and discussion covering RO1 and RO2.

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Doddler
The Oracle

Server: iRO Chaos
Guild: Valkyrie
Class: Knight

Default Interview with 'Ragnarok Online 2' Developer Jin-soo Jun

Interview with 'Ragnarok Online 2' Developer Jin-soo Jun
Gravity's CTO talks about the details of redevelopment and game design of RO2!

Original Interview: here
(Notes: The translation is quick and rough, so mistakes are inevitable. I apologize in advance!)

July Interview

On July 1st, Gravity Korea announced a complete renewal of 'Ragnarok Online 2'. Returning to a clean slate and rebuilding from the ground up, the renewal version titled 'Ragnarok Online 2: Legend of the Second' (hereafter RO2:LotS) is slated for closed beta testing August 31st. The following service schedule is unclear at this point.

In the 'RO2:LotS', the details of the game weren't very well understood. We asked for an interview with the project lead, Gravity CTO Jin-soo Jun about details of the game renewal.

1. The logo of Ragnarok Online II: Legend of the Second.
2. Gravity CTO Jin-soo Jun. Helped design 'Scions of Fate', a title by MGame that was popular in Korea and China.

The failure of RO2 lead to a complete rebuild. 'RO2:LotS' is a completely new game

-- First, could you please introduce yourself?

Jin-soo: My career in the game industry started with Mgame's 'Droiyan Online' in 2000. I was a server programmer. After that, I worked in development on the MMORPG 'Scions of Fate'. 'Scions of Fate' was a joint effort with KRG Soft, many members of Mgame and KRG soft came from Goorm Interactive. I became the director of KRG soft, and then after became Gravity CTO in October 2009. At Gravity I'm involved in various projects, but currently focusing my efforts on RO2.

-- Can you explain a little bit about the RO2 renewal?

Jin-soo: When RO2 launched its open beta test in 2007, it was rather unremarkable. Because RO is a very important IP to Gravity, development couldn't continue like that. After 2007 there were plans for a renewal, but it was already going a series of remakes. For example, RO2 was originally on the 'Unreal Engine 2.0' game engine, but in 2008 it switched to the RO Online's Zerodin Engine. For various reasons, in March 2009 development switched to the Gambryo engine.

-- So the current concept used the version started in March 2009 as it's base?

Jin-soo: That's right. In March 2009 we started the current renewal concept. It wasn't until October when I joined the company did we decide we wanted to bring RO's flavor to the game. So in actuality, the full blown renewal did not begin until October 2009.

-- What is the main reason for developing RO2:LotS?

Jin-soo: I think at the time the main reason RO2 did poorly was because of the poor server setup. Our number 1 point was to improve that. But in 2007 we had users that liked RO2 itself, but we had meny more users that would complain that it was not like RO at all. So we decided to make it more like RO. RO is a rather old game and felt that the game system and concepts would be inconvenient to todays gamers, so we investigated the latest game trends , and looked to infuse RO's atmosphere in a new game. Ignore the old RO2, this is a completely new game.

The world in RO2 is inspired by RO

-- Can you tell us about RO2:LotS's world design?

Jin-soo: Before RO2 and RO were different worlds and scenario, but the new game will be a continuation of RO's scenario. While RO2's story takes place well after the scenario of RO, there are points where the scenario will cross paths. While there's no indication of how many years have passed, the assumption is that its in the distant future of the RO world.

-- What about the scenario?

Jin-soo: In the original work it depicted Chaos as fighting the goddess Freya. In RO, Chaos won and sealed Freya away, but Chaos took a lot of damage and disappeared, so you were left with a world without either Chaos or Freya. The awakening of Freya is the basis for the scenario of RO2. Players can get involved in scenario quests at about level 30.

-- What about the graphic changes of RO2:LotS?

Jin-soo: First, think about other 3d MMORPGs. Originally RO2 characters were 3~4 heads tall, but with the renewal they will be 7 ~ 8.

-- Wasn't the decision to go with 3~4 head height characters part of the influence of RO?

Jin-soo: When you express a 2D character in 3D, it becomes tricky. Players that like RO's characters, and like the 2D design, found that when you change it into 3D, those characters give off a completely different atmosphere. It looks cute in 2D, but when you set it in 3D with detailed graphics, you lose the part of RO that was left to your imagination. We found that to best preserve the RO flavor would be to go with 7~8 heads. Incidentally, RO2:LotS's illustrations and story will be supervised by Myung-Jin Lee.

-- What about the background and maps?

Jin-soo: It's completely different form the old RO2. For maps, we have Izlude and Payon from RO, and many different dungeons.

RO2:LotS NPC Illustrations. The maid outfit girl is Kafra Selphy, the only NPC to carry forward from the old RO2.

The removal of Novices, and original characters using the Chara System and Dual Life System

-- Can you tell us about the jobs in RO2:LotS?

Jin-soo: Initially you start off as one of 5 jobs, Swordsman, Rogue, Acolyte, Mage, or Archer. Around level 15 or 20 you do your first job change, with two branching jobs to chose from. We were going to do a 2nd job change job change too but that would require creating 20 different jobs, so instead we created the Chara system.

-- With 5 starting jobs, RO2:LotS will no longer have the novice job?

Jin-soo: There will be no novices. When you start you will pick your job from the very start. We had a lot of discussion about whether to include novice as a job. The reason we chose to go without is that in modern online games, players pick their race and job from the very start, and can enjoy different play styles right from the start, where as with the novice route everyone who starts playing the closed beta test will all be the same. While the Novice job was popular in RO, to the point where Super Novice was introduced, we didn't feel it would fit the current trend. Instead, the novice will be introduced through a scenario quest. Also, in the old RO2 there were different player races, in the renewal it will be the same as RO where all players will be a single race.

-- Can you explain the Chara System?

Jin-soo: Chara, or Charisma comes from a Greek word and describes a character's personality. Through quests and battles, players will be rewarded with 'Order' or 'Chaos' charisma points. Depending on the amount of Chaos or Order points you have amassed, individual skills may perform completely differently. The first occupation for swordsman is Warrior, and with Chaos points you can become a Dark Warror, and with Order points you become a Light Warrior. You couldn't change to your second job, but through the Chara system you'd be able to play a completely different style of character. Anyways, because there's a lot of different points to manage like Skill Point and Chara Points, your individual stats in RO2:LotS, unlike RO are gained automatically.

-- Once you've changed a character to Order or Chaos, is it possible to change?

Jin-soo: It's possible. First, through various quests, it's possible to play both Order and Chaos. Then, when you reach level 50 you would have enough points in both to make a change. If you changed to either order or chaos, you will need to gather points to change back. It wouldn't be fast to get enough points though.

-- What is the new system referred to as the 'Dual Life System'?

Jin-soo: In RO, you can play as merchant and blacksmith jobs, but most players make merchants as sub characters just to sell items. Additionally, Merchants and blacksmiths don't present an image of being a job capable of combat. With that in mind, we created the 'Dual Life System'.

In RO2:LotS, you have a main Battle Job, and also a second 'Life Job' which can create equipment or potions. So like Swordsman + Blacksmith, Swordsman + Alchemist, or Swordsman + Chef. A character's skill tree is divided into the Battle and Life Jobs you chose.

-- How would these jobs affect play?

Jin-soo: Depending on the situation the characters appearance would change. So when a character is in battle they would appear in their Battle Job form, and then when crafting items they would appear as their Life Job. When collecting herbs, or minerals, you could be either form. Also, the life skills also can have some skills that can be used specifically in combat. For example, as a Swordsman+Blacksmith, you could use the blacksmith skill 'Loud Voice' to power up your swordsman attack power. Some final skills would involve changing into your life job temporarily. When doing that, you could use exclusive skills, or certain abilities could be stronger. The merchant job for example can use the RO skill 'Mammonite'.

[Battle Jobs]

Battle Job Illustrations. From left to right, Swordsman, Rogue, Acolyte, Mage, Archer.

[Life Jobs]

Life Job Illustrations. From left to right, Blacksmith (Male), Blacksmith (Female), Tailor (Male), Tailor (Female), Doctor (Male), Doctor (Female), Chef (Male), Chef (Female)

Plans for the 'Card System' and other new systems

-- We've heard that RO's Card System will be added, will it be the same?

Jin-soo: In RO, equipment has a certain number of sockets, and cards are embedded in those sockets. But with such a system it makes it difficult to change equipment, and when you get high level you may still be best to use low level gears with many sockets. This can also make a gear's own abilities less relevant, and it becomes a limiting factor to creating content. So in RO2:LotS they aren't embedded into equipment, but your character. Cards are equipped directly to your character. Then, you maintain the same abilities from your cards as you change weapons and equipment.

-- Can you explain the 'Weaving' System?

Jin-soo: The system allows players to freely customize their equipments appearance. You can't directly modify the texture, but create combination using certain presets. Too much freedom could be a problem for some of our players. However if there's enough demand we could allow players to submit their own presets. It would be hard though because you have to try to ensure that metal equipment still looks right.

-- Will the Cute Pet system be back?

Jin-soo: Yes. Like in RO, you'll be able to tame monsters. Pets you have can improve your characters abilities and with intimacy have cute performances. However at this time we don't have plans to have them assist in combat.

-- Are there any other new systems?

Jin-soo: When a player logs out, they can become an NPC. For example, if you had the ability to repair gear as a blacksmith, a player could log out and other players could come to you (as an NPC) and use your services. An alchemist could provide potion creation with the necessary items. Of course you'd get money for this, so you can earn money while logged out. It's an evolution of RO's vending system. Also, RO's Kafra system makes a return.

[Monsters]

RO2:LotS has many RO monsters make a reappearance.

Yoko Kanno's BGM, and the service schedule

-- What will happen to Yoko Kanno's BGM?

Jin-soo: Kanno made a lot of music for us before. Lots of her BGM was created on the old RO2 development process. RO2:LotS's game concept is completely changed, so there's quite a few BGMs that won't be used. There are lots of Kanno fans out there though, so if we can we will use her music when we can, but otherwise we will compose new music. As a bit of a teaser, when summoning certain cute pets we will play some of Kanno's BGM.

-- Can you tell us the contents of the Korean Closed Beta Test on August 31st?

Jin-soo: Players will start in the town of Almin, and from there, Prontera, 3 fields, and two Dungeons. Almin is a village north of prontera in the Mjolnir Mountains.

-- What is the service schedule following the first closed beta test, and are there any plans yet for Japanese service?

Jin-soo: We don't have any plans yet for an official launch, and no plans at all for foreign services. We are performing the Korean beta test in order to complete the game. RO2's first attempt was a failure, so it's important that we thoroughly test it and pay attention to feedback. That's what the test is all about.

-- Is there closing words for the Japanese users?

Jin-soo: With RO2, we set out to create a game that exceeds Ragnarok Online. We've heard a lot of users wondering when it would be done, that the open beta was too long, but creating a fun game takes time. We hope to deliver a game that will meet your expectations. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Doddler; 08-04-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Prodigy
Ghostring

Server: iRO Retired
Class: Scholar

Default Re: Interview with 'Ragnarok Online 2' Developer Jin-soo Jun

Well, that was a long read. I definitely like the sound of the new proposed card system, and the dual-life thing. Also, the players becoming an NPC thing sounds like a wonderful idea. It really does look like they have big plans for RO2 and are really working hard to make it happen.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Resplendent
Do It All Again

Guild: iRO Wiki
Class: High Wizard

Send a message via MSN to Resplendent Send a message via Steam to Resplendent

Love the card system revamp and the whole "become an NPC" thing sounds really neat. Just wish it were coming in english sometime soon...

http://humoncomics.com/
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
FastHands
Banned

card+weaving+become npc

all sound good^
Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Prodigy
Ghostring

Class: Scholar

Hmm, the "life-jobs" are Blacksmith, Tailor, Doctor, and Chef. So I'm guessing:
Blacksmith: Weapons, heavy armor
Tailor: Light armor
Doctor: Potions?
Chef: Food buffs

I'm just hoping that the crafted equipments will actually be of worth this time. RO's weapon forging quickly got outdated and obsoleted.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Feral
Magmaring

Server: iRO
Class: Monk

Awkward, this seems quite a bit different from what Chris Ruiz posted on PR :\... which in some ways is quite disappointing, and in many others quite exciting. I hope they implement an homage Novice job later on for "jack of all trades" players. Also... 20~ Jobs would mean 3 sets of second jobs or 5 3rd jobs (I'm more inclined to believe the former), which means what Chris Ruiz thought was "3rd class" could mean brand-new jobs for every class. The aesthetic change for life-job seems a bit lame to me, but I'll suck it up so long as my main paper-doll is malleable enough to fit my personal effects. I also don't like the sound so much of Grav paying too much attention to other MMOs... since most Eastern MMOs are garbage cashcows.

Being able to influence but not manually distribute stats... I would say is a necessary evil, so long as morality and skills influence it, because while most servers aren't like iRO, it's still far to abusable and hard to control with mechanics balancing. On the other-hand I really do not like the sound of having to sacrifice combat skills for production skills or vice-versa either. Most of the other mentioned features are neat though.

Hopefully they've taken a few peeks at EVE in terms of sandbox dynamic to allow for unions larger than guilds and under player control, so impersonal alliances are forged for more tangible gains (to also allow guilding to expand beyond the purpose of WoE alone). Regardless of that rant, it's good to actually hear something and see a new concept art

Thanks Lovely for the Sig >D
Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
TJM
Poporing

Class: Shadow Chaser

Quote:
-- We've heard that RO's Card System will be added, will it be the same?

Jin-soo: In RO, equipment has a certain number of sockets, and cards are embedded in those sockets. But with such a system it makes it difficult to change equipment, and when you get high level you may still be best to use low level gears with many sockets. This can also make a gear's own abilities less relevant, and it becomes a limiting factor to creating content. So in RO2:LotS they aren't embedded into equipment, but your character. Cards are equipped directly to your character. Then, you maintain the same abilities from your cards as you change weapons and equipment.
Holy shit yes

Also, the chaos/light paths for job sounds like an evolved 2-1/2-2 jobs, etc. I don't know how I feel about auto-stats though. Everything else sounds great.

Last edited by TJM; 08-04-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Crossheart
Stapo

Server: kRO Retired
Guild: Any latin guild
Class: Gypsy

Omg...

This is super nice!!!!!

(i hope that this not will end in a Nice boat...)

Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Aniki
Drops

Server: iRO Classic
Guild: Union Hispana
Class: Blacksmith

Send a message via MSN to Aniki

The characters are going to be 3d or 2d? That's the most important question xd.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Feral
Magmaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossheart View Post
Omg...

This is super nice!!!!!

(i hope that this not will end in a Nice boat...)

On a boat mother-Freyja, I'm on a boat. Hopefully we get something more in theme like this beautiful piece in lieu of a ferry. Is the censorship really THAT BAD in Korea though?

EDIT: For those of you who don't know...
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nice-boat

Last edited by Feral; 08-04-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Kheilon Alistair
Marin

Guild: Sunflower
Class: Rogue

Quote:
In the original work it depicted Chaos as fighting the goddess Freya. In RO, Chaos won and sealed Freya away, but Chaos took a lot of damage and disappeared, so you were left with a world without either Chaos or Freya.
Omg, Lee-Myung Jin complete the manhwa please. QQ
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Valadez
Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post

On a boat mother-Freyja, I'm on a boat. Hopefully we get something more in theme like this beautiful piece in lieu of a ferry. Is the censorship really THAT BAD in Korea though?

EDIT: For those of you who don't know...
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nice-boat
I didn't know but now I do, and damn the censored scene was brutal.
Is that anime any good?

Back on topic. I think it all sounds quite interesting. Not entirely sure what I make of the job system though. I guess I'll just have to wait to find out more about it.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
Pekkle
Poring Egg

Class: High Priest

A little bit upset with the whole "stats are automatically distributed" thing, due to taking away character creativity. But if they implement it properly, I can see how the different influences can make each character fairly unique.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
Pa.rabola
Snooty Bird :<

Server: iRO Loki
Guild: Passion
Class: Assassin Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
The characters are going to be 3d or 2d? That's the most important question xd.
3D.

Now Playing
[ LoL: Pararara ]
[ FFXIV ARR: Ashe Rayo on Cactuar ]

Old 08-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
~Genetic~
Poporing

Guild: Eternal | Asura

Liking the NPC thing and the charisma system if it's done correctly. Mainly interested in how being "Chaos" or "Order" aligned affects your skills.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
Toledo
Magmaring

He doesn't say anything straight out bad, maybe except the lack of novies, but every time I hear about how they're making the game more "modern" and "on with the times" I get a really bad feeling.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #17
Rob
Poring

Class: Lord Knight

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob

Auto-added stats? I really don't like the sound of that. One of the best things about RO1 was that you could have endless possibilities of stat builds. I do however like the new vending options and evil/good chara paths. Could make for some interesting play styles.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #18
Rakutei
Metaling

Server: iRO Classic
Class: Swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheilon Alistair View Post
Quote:
In the original work it depicted Chaos as fighting the goddess Freya. In RO, Chaos won and sealed Freya away, but Chaos took a lot of damage and disappeared, so you were left with a world without either Chaos or Freya.
Omg, Lee-Myung Jin complete the manhwa please. QQ
I know, right... Reading that part made me feel as if I had the entire manhwa spoiled, even though it never ended.

I love the idea of the chara system, it reminds me of Technical or Skill from Tales of Symphonia.

I also love the idea of the new card system too.

Auto-stats don't sound so bad, as it seems more styles of combat and skill effects will be dictated by other outside forces, coupled with cards being equipped directly to your person, it seems as though characters will be fairly diverse. Auto-stats just means noobs won't screw up their characters, and you don't have to know every formula in the book to be competent.

Last edited by Rakutei; 08-05-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #19
Feral
Magmaring

Quote:
-- Can you explain the Chara System?

Jin-soo: Chara, or Charisma comes from a Greek word and describes a character's personality. Through quests and battles, players will be rewarded with 'Order' or 'Chaos' charisma points. Depending on the amount of Chaos or Order points you have amassed, individual skills may perform completely differently. The first occupation for swordsman is Warrior, and with Chaos points you can become a Dark Warror, and with Order points you become a Light Warrior. You couldn't change to your second job, but through the Chara system you'd be able to play a completely different style of character. Anyways, because there's a lot of different points to manage like Skill Point and Chara Points, your individual stats in RO2:LotS, unlike RO are gained automatically.
This is without a doubt the most fascinating bit in the interview in my opinion. What he possibly means is that job extension has only become a single, optional form of development, and a player will be able to stunt their job changing in exchange for a completely different style of "battle job" which creates a more pure form of the job based on chara. What makes this exciting is that it opens up the doors to another realm of character growth which is previously unseen in MMORPGs (similar to 2-1 and 2-2 in original RO). While character development through choice is far from a new concept, making job extension optional is. This much dynamic sandboxing is the best feature of modern MMOs, and should be cracked like an egg constantly. Giving players influence over everything but only a limited amount of control could make RO2 live up to it's ancestor.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
Ryochan
Marin

Guild: Unity
Class: Assassin Cross

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww maaaan everything sounds superb besides what i loved about RO T_T individual stats..
Shin Ryo - aco

Rick James: "Cocain Blade and Soul is a hell of a drug." *giggles*
Closed Thread