iRO Wiki  

Go Back   iRO Wiki > Ragnarok Online > Homunculus and AI

Homunculus and AI Discuss all homunculus and AI related topics here.

View Poll Results: Was this Guide Helpful
Yes, yes, yes! Perfect! 0 0%
It was very helpful! 1 12.50%
It was decent. 3 37.50%
Not so much. 4 50.00%
It was bad. Really bad. 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
+Abiyah+
Poring Egg

Server: iRO Chaos
Class: Alchemist

Smile Tutorial: Leveling Lif [Updated]

So, you’ve just received your brand new baby Lif? Congratulations! Hopefully this guide will help you “get the ball rolling” (so to speak) with training your Lif with the greatest of ease.

If you're new to homunculus and AI systems, you might also find it useful to read over this homunculus / AI page for general questions about how the homunculus system works:

" http://irowiki.org/wiki/Homunculus_System "
or if you want to know more general information about Lif, go here:

" http://irowiki.org/wiki/Lif "

Lif is the plant homunculus and comes in two forms, which are given at random when an alchemists uses an embryo to “Call Homunculus.” There is no difference in the two except appearance.

TYPE A:

Looks like a bush and floats in the air with surrounding leaves.

TYPE B:

Looks like a seedling and walks on the ground.

Type A is the most commonly desired of the two, and is even used by Ragnarok Online as the “poster girl” for homunculus.

Lif is generally known as one of the least favorite homunculus. Sure, she’s packed full of cuteness, all would agree, but she doesn’t have any offensive skills, she does not agro attack, she levels slowly, and she is the most expensive to feed of the four homunculus types.

Lif actually becomes most effective AFTER she evolves with the use of the "Mental Change" skill as her ultimate attack (switches attack power and magic power in stats for a period) when she is evolved and loyal. But BEFORE, you have to work a little to get her started.

An upgraded AI system is perhaps the best way to level Lif in terms of strategy. As previously stated, on default, Lif is non aggressive and--unless her master is attacking, being attacked, or is forced to attack--she will sit sweetly and wait by your side until feeding time. Updating the AI is perfectly legal in generally all versions of Ragnarok Online, so you don’t have to worry about that aspect. It is not considered ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and it is even suggested for Lif and Amistr on irowiki’s site.

Now, keep in mind, there are many different AI systems to choose from. You should find one that, of course, will fit all of your needs. I'm going to suggest the "Mir AI" system for beginners because it is not only easy to install, but also easy to use for those who are unfamiliar with AI script. It is very user-friendly. However, prior to installing Mir AI, please keep these factors in mind:

1. Certain features are outdated: There are previsions on this AI system that use to allow Alchemists to AAA ("Alchemist Assist Attack" or something of that nature) whenever his or her homunculus was in trouble. However, an iRO update saw to it that the feature died, so the features are no longer active (though still present on the AI menu). So, just go ahead and select "disable" on these features. They no longer work anyway.

2. This does not have a mercinary system. Not interested in one? Then you don't have to worry. However, if you do find you would like a mercinary AI system as well, it might be best to find an AI system with both homunculus AND mercinary capabilities. This one is homunculus specific.

3. Does not work on Homunculus S. This AI was developed before the new homunculus S came out, so obviously it has no prevision for them. So, if you do use this to help level up your Lif (or any homunculus for that fact), just keep in mind that you'll have to upgrade your AI system when your homunculus evolves into a Homunculus S.

Still interested in the Mir AI system? If so, you have to download the AI system from Miranda’s site here:

" http://www.mirandablade.altervista.o...g=mirai&lng=en "

The AI is in two parts: the actual files, and then the configuration control panel where you make the changes. You’ll find them both under her "latest update" section. Installing the AI is very simple, but can be kinda tricky and confusing if you don’t put the files in the correct folder (you won’t be able to change or apply setting correctly). However, I’m not going to write about this as there is a perfectly good tutorial on it right here:

" http://forums.rebirthro.com/topic/12...de-for-mir-ai/ "

With this AI in place, Lif will now auto-attack all monsters unless you program a certain monster for her to avoid, etc. This, of course, makes training her much easier. Also, Archadian is in the process of updating this AI in this forum here: " http://forums.irowiki.org/showthread.php?t=84738 " (Thanks for the tip, Samias. ^^)

If you find that you need to upgrade from Mir Ai once your homunculus levels to Homunculus S, if you simply want a different AI system, try the AzzyAI here:
" http://forums.irowiki.org/showthread.php?t=26321 " (Thanks for the tip, Samias. ^^)

Now, the upgraded AI system comes in handy for lots of things--but it will not auto-feed your homunculus, and it shouldn’t either. So, when you go to train your pet, you need to keep an eye on its hunger level.

In this game, intimacy and feeding are the same thing. You will not lose intimacy if your homunculus is defeated in battle. It will not lose intimacy if you die. It will not lose intimacy if you put it away using the Vaporize skill (it must have full hp and sp for this to work). But it demands that it is fed. (Yes, all homunculus are little gluttons, especially cute little Lif). Unfortunately, her food, Pet Food, if the most expensive food to buy out of the majority (as the others’ food you can find on the ground and stock, but Pet Food has to be purchased from an NPC). The NPCs are called "Pet Groomers" and can be found in most major cities, including Prontera.

For every 1 minute (about) your homunculus ‘s hunger drops by 1 point. To keep her happy, you need to feed her between 11 and 75. Any less and she’ll cry, any more and she’ll start sweating. These will hurt your intimacy levels.

However, for optimal feeding in order to raise your stats faster, feed her around Hunger 14-24. For me, I feed her twice when her hunger drops to 14. This seems to be pretty effective raising the intimacy faster. It still takes time, but this made my Lif Neutral at level 53 versus my friend’s homunculus was still shy at level 65.

Intimacy Status
1-3 Hate with Passion
4-10 Hate
11-100 Awkward
101-250 Shy
251-750 Neutral
751-910 Cordial
911-1000 Loyal

It's always good to use your Lif to your full advantage, and part of that is knowing what items are a must to keep in stock when using this homunculus.

1. Pet Food: Obviously, this is to feed your pet.

2. Potions: These potions can be used to restore your homunculus's health using the "Aid Potion" skill (Alchemist).

3. Condensed Red Potions: These are required for Lif to use her "Healing Hands" skill.

4. Medicine Bowl: An alchemist will need these for everytime they use the "Prepare Potion" skill to make potions of any kind, along with the appropriate manual in inventory. These bowls are consumed immediately when the skill is used, reguardless of whether you change your mind and exit the potion slection list. So, keep plenty in stock and use them wisely!

5. Cactus Needles and Test Tubes: You will need at least one of each of these items to create a condensed potion, so keep them on hand if you want to craft.

6. Empty Potion Bottle: In order to make your own potions, you have to have this kind. A regular empty bottle will not work if you are using your skill to make potions.

7. Herbs: Red herbs, yellow herbs, white herbs, etc. You will need plenty of these in stock in order to make potions as well.

Now for the actual training part. Your AI is set, your inventory is full, and maybe you have a few skills already under your belt. Now, all that's left is to find somewhere to train. For very, very new Lifs, I would suggest starting her off by:
A) The usual beginner monsters such as poring, drops, fabre, etc.
B) Allowing her to assist you fighting monsters that won't change target

However, for more afk training options, here are some places you might want to consider:
Payon Field (spores, wormtail, and Boa)
Payon Dungeon Entrance (zombie, familiar, poporing, skeleton)
Ant Hell (ant eggs, andre, vitata, piere, giearth, deniro, familiar)

If you are unsure how to reach Ant Hell, click on the spoiler:
Spoiler Alert:

Not sure which area to pick? Well, I've done a compare and contrast below to show you the pros and cons, as well as a few neutral which are neither good nor bad, they just are what they are.

►Ant Hell:
Level: Any level (just beware of Familiars if having a lower level).

Pros:
• Lots of eggs (don't attack back)
• Very fast and consistant respawn rate
• Few aggressive monsters (only the familiar)
Cons:
• Lots of competition (everyone is there for easy exp and they all want a spot. It's like competing homunculus. lol)
• Like-monsters mob when attacked, which could spell tragedy for a lower level homunculus if it attacks one accidentally on auto-attack. Set AI accordingly.
• Occasional Mini Boss appearance by Maya Purple (not very often as I've never seen her, it might be in lower level only. Not sure)
Neutral:
• None (?)

►Payon Forest:
Level: At least 13-14 at up.

Pros:
• Lots of spore (fight minimally back--depends on level of homonulus. Recomened at level 13-15 and up for little and no damage.
• Fairly Fast Respawn rate
• No default aggressive monsters
• Like-monsters don't mob when attacked.
• Strawberries are drops that sell for a fair price, believe it or not. Pick up now and again if you see them while checking in on your pet, or set up a cheap buy shop on the field where leveling characters want to lighten their load or otherwise wouldn't bother picking them up unless they saw they could profit from it.
Cons:
• Lots of bots on the map
• Fair amount of competition
• Occasional dead branch use to kill bots
Slightly less exp than ant eggs (not much)
• Homunculus can chase target off screen and then not come back until you stand and walk around.
Neutral:
• None (?)

Payon Dungeon Entrance:
Level: at least mid 30's and up.

Pros:
• Equal to / a little less than experience as ant eggs per kill (varies by the monster killed)
• Very Fast respawn rate
• Little competition for monsters (there is some, but not as much as previous two by far)
• Weaker default aggressive monsters (try to have homunculus level 48 and up for little to no damage) Zombie and Familiar.
• Like-monsters don't mob when attacked.
Cons:
• Depending on which monster is killed, it could be a little less exp than ant egg
Neutral:
• Lower level players trying to regain health will sit around you in prayer that your homunculus will inadvertently protect them as well while they rest. For the most part, it will--depending on where they sit.

Each spot has it's pros and cons. The reason Ant Hell is so popular is simply because the eggs do not fight back and respawn almost instantly. However, if you're a high enough level (30's and up) then the damage you get from the spores, zombies, etc is like 1 or misses, which your Lif will regain faster than she loses. The spores are challenging becaues of the number of bots, but there are monsters always on the prowl in the dungeon. Respawn is slightly slower than ant hell, but pretty steady as long as no one is coming and killing the mobs. Whichever you choose, remember to have fun--AND DON'T FORGET TO CHECK ON LIF'S HUNGER FROM TIME TO TIME.

(illustrations below):

Well, that should get your new Lif to (at the very least) evolve.

Remember, a full grown Lif can be very useful, and now with the addition of new Homunculus S to Ragnarok, you’ll be able to train her into something even more powerful!

Good luck, and happy training!

IroWiki:
http://irowiki.org/wiki/Main_Page
IroWiki Forums:
http://forums.irowiki.org
Miranda Ai (Mir AI):
http://www.mirandablade.altervista.o...g=mirai&lng=en
RateMyServer:
http://ratemyserver.net/
Ame Fuyu from RebirthRO:
http://forums.rebirthro.com/topic/12...de-for-mir-ai/
Experience / Trail and Error

Last edited by +Abiyah+; 02-10-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: ..::Update
+Abiyah+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Samias
Inaction Hero

Guild: Arashi
Class: Genetic

Send a message via MSN to Samias
Default Re: Tutorial: Leveling Lif

I think this guide could use a little work, to be honest. MirAI is a decent suggestion but I prefer AzzyAI as MirAI is outdated and doesn't play nicely with the mercenary system. MirAI doesn't work at all with HomunS, so when you do hit 99 and evolve your homun, you'll likely have to use AzzyAI anyway. There isn't really any english-language alternative I know of.

As for training, ant eggs are a true afk spot, as the eggs have a set spawn and don't fight back at all. There aren't really any other homun parking spots anymore with such low server populations. AFK leveling doesn't work unless you're on a map where you know people are actively killing things, or you're on ant eggs. Ant eggs actually give a huge amount of exp for homunculi, especially in their lower levels, and you really shouldn't underestimate them. You get decent exp from them even in your 80's.

If you're actively leveling I recommend orc dungeon 1 for its monster density, which is still one of the highest in the game. You could probably get a homun to level 99 there. You just really have to be on the lookout for bloody branches, as they pop up pretty frequently there as a dungeon that's easy to access via kafra.
Samias Dragonlord
Xyra Fhoan
Tatayu

=WoW Suramar=
Ishkagri
And a bunch of failures

Last edited by Samias; 02-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Samias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Uyuni
Luv puppies!

Guild: Valkyrie

^
The intention is good and most of the information is in the wiki.

Suggestion:
  • Homunculus lv up:
  • Porings, spores, fabres, lunatic until lv 8
  • Spores until level 15
  • Ant eggs until 90-99
  • After: Depends of server population

Ant eggs is an amazing place, from lv 13 to 81 took like..30 hours.

MirAI is pretty good for homunculus only and for non homunculus S, I'm working on a mod to use the homunculus S skills, but since my pet is bugged and yet not restored...

You are missing the "/hoai" command.
What do you mean by "no auto attack"?
Where is the NPC to buy the food?

Avoid going verbose, add links to irowiki sites: for example getting the skill call homunculus *quest*, what's and embryo, etc etc...

Don't forget to mention us in the credits of your guide
Space Dementia 150/4x Royal Guard
Endlessly 125/2x Sura

Retired

Last edited by Uyuni; 02-05-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Uyuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
+Abiyah+
Poring Egg

@Uyuni: Well, I thought about adding a lot of information like that, but I figured that since it was about leveling a Lif specifically that the player should already know how to make a homunculus by that point (since they are wanting to level this particular one and therefore probably already made and used embryos to create it) and where to buy general Pet Food. That's why it starts off with "so you have a new baby Lif" and then leads a little into explanation of the Lif character. Plus, I redirected to a tutorial for Mir AI witha link because I felt that it'd be a waste of time to restate that which was already published. That's why I gave the link, which includes instructions on where to put it and how to activate it using /hoai. The reason, also, I didn't add a very advanced system (such as for homunculus S) is because really the guide is just for people starting out on how to start their Lif leveling. I had a lot of people ask where I leveled mine up so fast, so that's kinda the reason I made the tutorial. When I said "no auto attack" I was talking about the default Lif does not attack on her own (automatically). That's why she needs the AI, and that's really the only reason I mention the AI. I was not referring to any other AI except for homunculus, so that's why I only mentioned it, as I don't use it for anything else and the post was about leveling a homunculus. About the credits, thanks for the reminder. I might add a "useful link" section, too, to make things a bit easier. And, I will probably go back and add in-text links to make topics they may be interested in easier to find.

@ Samias: Lol. Those are good, too. But, the orc dungeon kept getting my Lif killed so it wasn't so great for quick leveling for a "getting a Lif started" guide. It meant a lot of attention on Lif, so no easy AFK leveling for beginners, but I did work with her there a little bit actively, using the "Aid Potion" skill to constantly help her along. I guess I should mention the ant eggs, as a couple of my friends had mentioned how they were very successful leveling with them. I've never used them myself, so I couldn't say from personal experience how affective they were as I leveled my Lif as shown above. Because of the massive respawn rate, even though they get less exp per kill in those fields, they kill more abundantly and it adds up fast like change in a jar. I was really writing the tutorial based on personal experience, so I figured it was a good alternative as I wasn't fond of the leveling places most people recommended to me. Plus, the guide is only for how to get a Lif to level 50 (ish), and almost exclusively through easy AFKing. HOWEVER, anyone who wants to leave comments on where their favorite Lif leveling spots are, they are very, very welcome and appreciated. I'm sure there is more than one set strategy to do it, and the more the merrier as I always say. That's the best part about communities. ♥

Last edited by +Abiyah+; 02-06-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Uyuni
Luv puppies!

• New alchemist can sill have "a new baby lif".
  • If your guide is not for noobs state it at the beginning: clear expections of your guide: people will avoid doing simple questions (hahaha, yeah right).
  • Forget about other places other than previously said, those are the best: don't lose time wandering around there -unless you want it-.
  • AFAIK, with default AI homunculus attack whatever is in the screen.
  • You need to mention there are other AI alternatives.
Endlessly 125/2x Sura

Retired
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
+Abiyah+
Poring Egg

As you suggested, I did just add a bit at the end of the AI section saying there are other AI systems, but I already said that by saying the Mir AI was more beginner-friendly of the AI systems. As far as new alchemists, a new alchemist who has a "new baby Lif" (lol) has already summoned it and therefore does not generally need to know what an embryo is as they already know. This is not a "how to make a homunculus" tutorial, and I think most would assume that from the title. Plus, I wouldn't say it's "not for noobs," but rather "not for people without a Lif." As far as the leveling, I leveled my Lif from 13-56 in just about 3 days using this method, so I was simply sharing it. There isn't one set way, so I think a variety of different leveling methods are good for the variety of people looking to level. If it works, it works--especially since many agree that Lif is so hard to get going. :0

However, now that I think of it, I could add a "Monster" section with the alternative monsters you can fight to level. I'm still working on the tutorial piece by piece. For example, I'd like to give map names and--as I said--I already intended to put word-links in the text because I wanted to redirect without using the gaudy whole link like I did with the Mir AI download and tutorial links. lol. But I was in a hurry towards the end of the post because I had to get out the door, so I just pasted the links and said I'd come back. xD

Last edited by +Abiyah+; 02-06-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Uyuni
Luv puppies!

Just adding a link to the homunculus irowiki page fix the issue "noobs".

Monster section is good, must of low level places work, some other better than other, e.g. you expend 3 days for 13-56, I expend 2 days for 13-75 in ant hell, pure afk.
Endlessly 125/2x Sura

Retired
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
+Abiyah+
Poring Egg

Link added. ^_^
Ah, I see what you mean about the ants. I'll definitely add that
later today when I update the credits.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Hrishi
Sliver

Server: iRO Classic
Class: High Wizard

Send a message via MSN to Hrishi

It's worth mentioning that Mental Change, due to renewal mechanics is not even half as good as it once used to be. I wonder if it's worth it at all?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Uyuni
Luv puppies!

Is still good, global cooldown removed from those homunculus skills.
Endlessly 125/2x Sura

Retired
Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Jayed
Tirades' Princess

Guild: Volkiba

Please complete the guide (ex: leveling past 45, where ppl will actually need leveling suggestions) before asking for a rating. Its not very useful atm and like other people suggested you're using an ancient AI that won't work with homun S.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Zimran
Poporing

Guild: Step Aside
Class: Blacksmith

What about amistr? They're hard to lvl too T.T And please do flesh out the guide, I plan on using lif for my YGG alch^^
Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
Uyuni
Luv puppies!

Why people need a guide to let them now to go and AFK in ant hell, near of any ant egg spawn spot?

Just sit there from lv 10 to 90+, hell even 99 is easy there.

YES, it applies to all homunculus types.
Endlessly 125/2x Sura

Retired

Last edited by Uyuni; 02-06-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
Samias
Inaction Hero

Guild: Arashi

Send a message via MSN to Samias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrishi View Post
It's worth mentioning that Mental Change, due to renewal mechanics is not even half as good as it once used to be. I wonder if it's worth it at all?
This is probably the main justification this guide needs, as with ant eggs it is ridiculously easy to level any homunculus. The only stat growth that matters is HP/SP because homun S are pretty much guaranteed to cap their other stats. With mental change being heavily nerfed, one of the few bright spots is that now you can use it as a matk buff for an Eira, Dieter, or Bayeri when they use matk based skills (Lifs aren't really suited for Sera or Eleanor). Lifs have one of the better SP pools as well, though this guide makes little mention of the actual stat growth to expect from a Lif. This is all in-depth information specifically about Lif's strengths and weaknesses that a Lif owner truly needs.

That, and the fact that this guide seriously needs to research guides for AI. MirAI might have a "noob friendly" interface but it's also full of outdated, useless code for player autoskills (which no longer works), zero support for mercenaries, and zero support for homun S (which means your homun won't even autocast its old skills when it evolves). This is a HUGE issue if you want to develop your homun further! You're ultimately going to have to add a disclaimer that MirAI hasn't been updated since 2006, or find communities that have patched MirAI for Renewal RO. Threads like this: http://forums.irowiki.org/showthread.php?t=84738 might yield some updates for MirAI in the coming future.

I don't want to rip into the guide by any means. Appearance-wise it's very nice and well-organized and spores are indeed a good suggestion. However, as an actual *Lif* guide, it's a little lacking. Feeding information is very general. For a homun with HP and attack as bad as Lif, listing ant eggs as soon as possible is an essential. Expand the guide to 99, and instead of listing afk areas (you're never going to beat ant eggs in this regard) try and suggest places to actively support and level a Lif that make sense given its frailty. Suggesting spores is a good start, and so is payon cave, but beyond that, what else? What can you do to shake things up for the owner?
Samias Dragonlord
Xyra Fhoan
Tatayu

=WoW Suramar=
Ishkagri
And a bunch of failures
Samias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Uyuni
Luv puppies!

People actively level their homunculus o,o?
Endlessly 125/2x Sura

Retired
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Zimran
Poporing

Guild: Step Aside
Class: Blacksmith

I do bc I chat with my guild while lvling mine and constantly get tired of staring at the same screen.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
+Abiyah+
Poring Egg

lol. Sorry for the late reply. This week's been crazy, but I've got some free time today. Yay! This will be fully updated sometime tonight. So, everyone come back and tell me what you think when it's done. Thanks for all the tips and pointers. ♫

Topic Edit: Ta-da! Phew! *leans back from the computer* There you have it! It took longer than I thought because irowiki was down today (or was my computer going crazy?)
Either way, Updated! Hope this is better and less vauge.

Last edited by +Abiyah+; 02-08-2012 at 11:42 PM.