iRO Wiki  

Go Back   iRO Wiki > The Fields of Midgard > Tech Help & RO Support

Tech Help & RO Support Stumped? Try asking here about technical issues with the RO client or other computer problems.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Blueness
Sharklets

Server: iRO Retired
Class: Arch Bishop

Lightbulb How to fix your RO client

Note: Apparently this is no longer required, however this thread will stick around for archive purposes.

Due to the latest client update on iRO, many people can no longer load the client. This is due to either the patcher being just plain fail, using a "bad" antivirus, or using 3rd party hooking programs such as RCX.

Disclaimer #1: What follows is not endorsed or sanctioned by iRO, you make changes to your client at your own risk, iRO Wiki or iRO will not be responsible for failed clients in this case. It is highly recommended to backup your client folder beforehand and to have the install files ready if needed. RCX appears to have moved from being gray area to being black area (you will be banned if you are stupid enough to upload screenshots or videos of RO with RCX running with enough identifiable information).

With that out of the way, let's continue!

If you are not using RCX or any sort of ~legit~ third party programs (I have not confirmed if autoimo is broken yet) and you never plan to use RCX and your RO client is working fine, this guide is not for you.

However, if you are not using RCX or any sort of ~legit~ third party programs, you never have, you have no plans on doing such, and your RO client is screwed, it might be anti virus related.

Turn off your anti virus and try loading RO. In some cases turning off your anti virus is not enough and you must uninstall it to test. I highly suggest Microsoft Security Essentials, personal experience has never had any problems with MSSE in combination with RCX or funky Ragnarok clients.

If it isn't anti virus related, you are or aren't using RCX, and your client crashes like the indy 500, this thread might be for you.

If your client just won't load no matter what and you just want to play right the hell now and worry about rednecking up your client later, see the end of the post.

Have you backed up your ragnarok install? No? Go do that. Just drag your ragnarok folder to your desktop or other location.

Files required:

Client files from August 8th
Broken client patch2.txt and cpatch.txt
patch2 and cpatch as of roughly 8/14
The new client, which breaks RCX and in some cases, just breaks itself. Keep this for cloning/patching or reverting my changes.
Working RO folder minus big stuff like GRF's, can in theory dump this into a currently patched RO install

Disclaimer #2: I play on Classic, as such, my focus is getting the Classic client to work. However I will within my ability try and keep the renewal client working.

Disclaimer #3: This is for advanced users only. You should know your way around your computer.

For the sake of this guide, there's two methods you can use here.

You're going to end up with 2-3 RO installs:
  1. The stock, vanilla client that might not run, but if it does, RCX won't work
  2. The customized client that doesn't patch but will run RCX
  3. Your backup client

Or you can play with the patch text files and swap out executable files which is really beyond the scope of trying to write a guide for.

Since it is impossible for me to guess the state of your current RO install, I'm going to work from the assumption that your RO loads if RCX is not loaded, and crashes if RCX is loading. I'll also work of the assumption you may be one who isn't using RCX but your client is patched and is still failing to load, this should work in both cases.

If you can't patch, this is beyond the scope of this thread and you should post in Tech Support.

Before you do anything, take your RO folder, and drag it somewhere safe like your desktop or my documents. Good.

Next, please close all running instances of RO. Also you may need to make sure you're running as an administrator or UAC is off.

Creating a clone of your ragnarok folder:
  1. make a folder on your C:\ drive called "Cloned Ragnarok"
  2. copy the contents of your RO folder into the "Cloned Ragnarok" folder
  3. At this point you should have two ragnarok installs
  4. Make sure patch2.txt and cpatch.txt in the "Cloned Ragnarok" folder are NOT read only.
  5. Patch the cloned ragnarok client fully, generally Renewal client first, then Classic client
  6. Verify the cloned rangarok client can load RO

Prepare your orginal RO install, we'll call it Vanilla (assuming C:\Ragnarok, adjust as needed):
  1. Patch your install in C:\ragnarok fully, generally Renewal client first, then Classic client
  2. Unzip the Client files from August 8th into C:\Ragnarok replacing all files
  3. Make patch2.txt read only
  4. make cpatch.txt read only
  5. Ensure the client runs with and without RCX loaded, it should not patch.

If your client is funky with patching you may need to play around with the different patch text files provided above.

Now what?

Whenever a patch is released, do the following:
  1. Patch the cloned client, Renewal first, then Classic
  2. Copy the data.grf and the cdata.grf from the Cloned folder to your Vanilla folder
  3. Enjoy!

This should continue to work until a fundamental change in the RO client occurs (Christmas patch? Trans patch?).

Either way this is intended as a temporary fix, especially for those who can't get the client to work no matter what.

If all else fails and you just want to get on RO for a while, the following is a fully functioning RO client with the box event included and RCX will work as well. Please try everything else before downloading this, however.

Make 100% sure you make patch2.txt and cpatch.txt read only before starting up the patcher using the below download.

ftp://mirror.irowiki.org/classic_8-8_working.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip ragnarok thumbsdb delete.zip (1.1 KB, 222 views)

breeg : if you ds fast enough it's kinda like having them exp tap shit for you

Doddler: I feel bad for anyone who came to classic RO actually wanting the classic experience.

Last edited by Blueness; 12-12-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: gone!
Blueness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Blueness
Sharklets

Server: iRO Retired
Class: Arch Bishop

Default Re: Guide to fixing your RO client

Please let me know if anything obvious is missing and I'll update it as we go.

breeg : if you ds fast enough it's kinda like having them exp tap shit for you

Doddler: I feel bad for anyone who came to classic RO actually wanting the classic experience.
Blueness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
SmashMac
Baby Poring

Server: iRO Classic
Guild: Show No Love
Class: Champion

Default Re: How to fix your RO client

Thanks.

"There is only one way to become champion: Never lose." ~ Gannicus
SmashMac is offline   Reply With Quote