Wizards: Thunder Storm or Lord of Vermilion?

Everything RO related here,
Orc Baby

Wizards: Thunder Storm or Lord of Vermilion?

Post by Orc Baby » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 am

I'm having some fun trying out an AGI/INT Wizard on Odin using Frost Nova and Quagmire, but I haven't really decided on a wind AoE yet. My current plan is Safety Wall, Quagmire, Frost Nova, Wind AoE. Freezing everything (including water mobs) with Frost Nova is really fun, haha. I am also still getting Storm Gust, of course; there's no way I'd ever pass that up.

I am kind of leaning towards Thunder Storm since the full damage gets boosted by them being frozen instead of only the first hit of LoV, but the blind from LoV and the much larger AoE is enticing too. They have similar cast times at max levels and hopefully the smaller AoE from Thunder Storm wouldn't be a problem since mobs will be grouped up.

Current Skill Plans:
LoV
TS

Any thoughts?
iRO RE:Start
Orc Baby -- Perma Novice
-Helios- -- Assassin
-Hermod- -- Archer

Blueness
Site Admin
Guild: iRO Wiki

Re: Wizards: Thunder Storm or Lord of Vermilion?

Post by Blueness » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:26 pm

LoV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TS.
iRO Restart, iRO Classic, iRO Ymir, iRO Loki, iRO Valkyrie, iRO Sakray | ropd
http://www.rainymood.com

breeg : if you ds fast enough it's kinda like having them exp tap shit for you

Discord! http://irowiki.org/discord

umizu
Guild: SNL

Post by umizu » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:50 pm

wtf are you making an agi/int wizard for

the biggest hindrance to wiz DPS is the cast time delays, not the animation times (which agi effects)

you will almost never use a LoV (or TS) after SG if you're soloing. honestly you can leave them both at lvl 1. the only reason to level LoV to 10 is to mob anolians

Orc Baby

Post by Orc Baby » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:04 pm

I didn't go agi to reduce animation times. I did it because it just sounded fun to dodge things with Quagmire and freeze everything with Frost Nova. Frost Nova has a < 0.5 sec cast time and is amazing at freezing anything surrounding me, making it easier to dodge anything left over or anything I broke out of the ice. The question I was posing was would Thunder Storm be better for this since the full hit gets the elemental bonus or would Lord of Vermilion be better in general because it has a slightly higher total damage modifier and it can also blind.
iRO RE:Start
Orc Baby -- Perma Novice
-Helios- -- Assassin
-Hermod- -- Archer

umizu
Guild: SNL

Post by umizu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am

honestly? it would entirely depend on what you're killing / their stats etc. you will use JT most of the time, but if you had to pick one of the 2, then LoV would be better by far. it's 4x the size of TS so you will waste much less time using that over a large area. it's also slightly bigger than SG so casting in the centre of where you cast SG or FN will guarantee you the mobs get hit (positioning lag with SG frozen mobs is a cunt)

it's rad that you want to try something different, but you're in for a very slow grind by leveling the way you're planning to